1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your confidence in these bets?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, May 5, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Are you saying that if the Steelers don’t follow your advice, your blueprint on how to build a championship team that they are wasting time? I was one of the people that wanted to move on from Ben, just because I want to get on with finding his successor but that guy is not on the roster unless they can turn Haskins around. So, while the odds are against Ben having a great season, it’s still better odds than they’d have with Rudolph or Haskins leading the way and that’s how management is looking at it.

And I don’t know how you say its the same offense and blocking scheme when they hired a new OC and Oline coach. Or the same limitations when they have already changed personnel along the line and added two players from the draft that were ranked 1 and 2 at their positions.

You can make all the excuses you want for why they were in the playoffs last year but the fact is, they are in the playoffs more years than not and at the very least, still playing for something in December year after year. So yes, they are competitive year in and year out. Once you get in, anything can happen. No SB is guaranteed but you are guaranteed not to win one if you don’t reach the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I was just reminded that Jeff Hartings was drafted by Detroit, and played 5 seasons at RG.
    He joins the Steelers as a FA, and is moved to Center.

So while a bit unorthodox, moving a guard to a new position like center can work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    AFC seems to be getting the top young guns out of college. We finally are rid of Brady and now I fear for the future of the Steelers with what is out there. Our division has Burrows, (should be special if Bungles don't bungle it) Mayfield and Jackson. All three in NFL 3 years or less. Jags get Lawrence and the Patriots get Jones. Youngsters to build on.

Who knows how things will pan out but right now where are our boys in this picture?????????

4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Building for the future by losing over the half the roster next year?

Don't you ever get tired carrying the organization's water?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    True, but Hartings was already an established NFL player. Green has to catch up to the speed of the NFL game, and learn a new position. it's going to take some time.

I hope for his sake they don't rush him into the starting role before he is ready.

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No one knows anything until we all know soon enough. The may have been and could have been is all guess and speculation. I can't imagine the organization bringing back a QB who's decline is irreversible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    but but but he’s got short short short arms!

ps they are 1/4” shorter than pouncey’s

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, MR 9-5 worker, please keep enlightening us on how to build a championship roster :rolleyes:

If you actually ever knew what you were talking about, you’d know I am critical of the organization too, just not ridiculously so like you because you are butt hurt they didnt follow your directions on how to build a team.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not as short as some of these fans football knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    What they're doing is rebuilding on the fly - a process common to many in this day and age of free agency making it difficult on a team's ability to hold stables together purely as a function of finances. Your talk of same everything, lack of transition, no player in 2021 competing for jobs next season, etc. is disingenuous. The Steelers entered this offseason with over 30 contracted roster spots to fill in 2022; they began the process of reloading that cupboard with a $20m downturn in salary cap to begin free agency and eight draft picks. There's simply no way that amount of roster could be restocked in any single offseason, let alone with the talent to make the cut of fans expecting a clear 2021 SB contender on paper entering the preseason.

The other point of frustration here seems to be your priority of values versus those of the organization. You see a team too flawed to have had any business in the playoffs, hence they should not waste any time or money trying to win this season. You've taken the poor finish to last season, revised the games won earlier on to games 'lucked-into', and made it a team too flawed for playoff consumption for at least a couple of years. Thus returning key players like Ben and expecting competitiveness is a 'waste of time.' That opinion on its own is fine.

Where I have trouble understanding it is when there's frustration and dissidence over the organization following a different path and talking of winning games this season, especially for anyone that knows its history. For example, I wasn't big (no pun intended) on Ben returning this season. But I also knew chances were virtually nil the team was putting him to pasture unless he chose to go there himself. Similar to those that claim the Rooneys have lost their way because they continue keep Tomlin employed - an ownership that's had three coaches over the last 52 years has lost their edge (or are somehow afraid of violating an interview rule for minority coaches they'd long since fulfilled) by not firing a coach with a .650 winning percentage, .500 in playoffs, 2 SB appearances and 1 win. Despite all of that, I personally wanted Tomlin replaced a few years ago now, but am not surprised or overly upset he's still here.

The Rooneys have always shown a significant amount of loyalty to its coaches and players, especially those that have brought great dedication and success to the franchise. As a fan it can at times be frustrating, because we often focus simply on wanting to see the team win championships. But IMHO, it makes it more impressive the amount of success this franchise has had in the league while staying close to the values it's had. Allowing Ben to give back $5m to have one more year may seem like a waste of time that doesn't generate a significant greater chance of hoisting a Lombardi this year, but to the organization, it's the right thing to do.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Mayfield, Jackson, and Burrows....

Just spent a quick 25 minutes reading QB rankings

They are hilarious. Lamar is the best running QB ever... and Mayfield has the best Oline and Rbs in football. Yes Ben won the AFCN last year with the worst line and running game in football.. yes he beat them all in stats last year. yes Bens receivers dropped more passes than any other team..15 more to be exact...... but.. but... but....but....Ben is so OLD!

HACK

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Dermonti Dawson was a guard in college. He was a starting guard his rookie year in Pgh and stitched to center his 2nd season. I'd hardly call that being an established NFL player, yet he done ok.
    Pouncy was the starting center game 1 of his rookie season so you could say he was rushed into the starting lineup but he done ok.

I'm not saying Green will be ready. He might not be. But let's give him time to show off he's ready or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is old, he moves like he has broken glass in his jock but he can still put up better numbers than those guys.

I’m really hoping an improved ground game and line will revitalize Ben. I don’t care what his stats were, his game was ass after week 11.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sutton is going to take Nelson's place at CB, that's why they re-signed him.

15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    If you speak from experience, you were badly hazed in gym class.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We can expect a older Ben to be better if he throws less, probably why Art II told the team to fix the running game, they listened and got the best RB in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know who they got my friend. I'm afraid he is not up 2 the task, but I could be wrong. Then you have 2 have someone 2 come in , take M. Hiltons spot, and hope he does as well. I'm just worried about the backfield.
    IMO we have 2 real players back there Haden, and Fitzpatrick.
    That's all , but I could be wrong, and hope I am

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not that worried about it, I think one of those UDFAs will step up and take Hilton's spot.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hope you're correct. :smiley1:

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He may or may not be the long term replacement, but what did you really expect from a rookie, coming from a relatively small school, without any preseason. He made some mistakes, but I think he actually outperformed what should have been any real expectations, given the injuries on D line and ILB's all year.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think rookie Q.Roche may give him a run for his money, or at least spell him.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Has the talent and speed. I think full training camps are going to help nt only the rookies, but everyone get much needed reps. There were definite flaws in Alex game, as there will be with Roche, but how many years did it take for Bud to really grasp the entire NFL scheme.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Highsmith is ahead of where Bud was at this stage. I heard the SteelersDepot guys comparing Roche to him. Bud had all the measurables and the quick get off coming out of college, but it took him years to develop pass rush moves.

Highsmith was a better technician coming out, these guys said Roche is, too, even though Bud was the far superior athlete.

• Like Like x 2
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Making crap up again?

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL 2 that person that Loves 2 follow me around and hit disagree. :dancing: