1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a better backup RB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, May 2, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Except they weren't looking for a RT in round one, Tomlin/Colbert didn't attend Jenkins pro day, so he wasn't going to be the pick. Harris>Sermon :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. somedude

somedude Member

Aug 10, 2019
    The way Alabama uses their backs causes their stats to be misleading. Most of the time they have two or three backs that could start for any major college team and probably be an All American.

Harris has the potential to be a franchise back. My biggest fear is that they don't give him the support he needs to succeed. Unless we have the second coming of Barry Sanders then they better be looking for linemen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    If Harris produces like we hope... it's a double edged sword...Sure, He'll be MUCH better than what we have, But Popcorn will run his wheels off...

It's what he does.. Had Blount, Had DeAngelo Williams leading the league in rushing one year...And when the Bellcow came back...The thought of giving the backup RB any carries, Went out the window

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yup, and right now the backup plan is the same RB room that for months they screamed from the mountaintops that they were desperate to upgrade.

If Harris goes down, they're right back in 2020.

They should be looking for Blount/Williams type castoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that is what we have in Ballage. He had a falling out in Miami, but showed vision, speed and power during his brief time with the Chargers. He will be a good fit for Pittsburgh and a good one for giving Harris a break or filling in should there be any injury. I think many will be surprised by his ability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No one knows how this new O Line is going to perform. I like the fact that they are going in a physical direction and leaving the finesse in the rear view.

I don't expect a miracle this season it's going to take time for this line to gel.

The line is hinging on a 3rd and 4th round pick :lolol: Who knows if they will start this season. Finney will probably start the season as the center and the other 4 are entrenched as starters at this point.

Some wanted I suppose to take 8 offensive lineman, 9 if you count the trade for the 5th round.

As far as the backs are concerned they have some pieces that will work. Harris as said will get the bulk of the work.

Ol Ben best learn again how to get snaps under center again and play action. Shotgun Ben isn't going to carry this team far. Retirement tour.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Yikes. He averaged 3.3 YPC with LAC. He seems to have fulfilled his pre-draft scouting.

9. Cannonball Butler

Cannonball Butler New Member

May 4, 2021
    Ballage might do well as that backup. He's not a starter but he doesn't have to be.

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Pretty much my concerns also.

I would have drafted Tevin Jenkins with 24. The dude is going to be a stud and i have little doubt will be a LT for the bears in a year or two. I would have tried to trade up in the 2nd for a center.

I'm old school though and think the game is won in the trenches.

With all that said, I do like Najee Harris and the TE pick. I think both are solid people and players.

I have my concerns about the Oline but maybe they can prove me wrong.

We are going to see a different offense do maybe that will change things up a bit.

Any how I'm rooting for all the players drafted because they are now Steelers

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    2 offensive players in a draft where we were "commited to improving the running game" and after losing more than 2 starters is not showing actual commitment to fixing the worst running game in football. I don't care who got picked first. We didn't do enough.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Couldn't agree more. :drinks:

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think honestly it's because he is very loyal 2 his starters. Good, or bad.

14. Andy Russell

Andy Russell Active Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Put me in the Adrian Peterson camp. He can still get those tough yards, he has mentioned he wants to be a Steeler, and he can be had for less than a million for next season. Perfect guy to mentor Najee Harris as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I trust the Steelers front office, how about we see how they perform before making statements like they didn't do enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dickerson at #23 :rolleyes:, nobody was taking him in the first round with his injury history, I don't pay attention to any PFF rankings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Just because I'm a diehard fan doesn't mean I have to agree with their decisions. How about we say what's on our minds on a public message board regardless of whether or not you only want to hear your opinion.

The front office and coaching staff didn't do enough this offseason. They haven't done enough in past offseasons as well. They haven't prepared for the inevitable. They haven't developed depth to keep this team competitive against player losses. Is it easy? No. Is any decision foolproof? Hell no. But I don't care. The franchise is a shell of its former self. That isn't my fault.

That's my opinion. It's no less valid than yours. It's just different. And if you don't like it, too bad. They will perform the same regardless of my opinion, or yours.

And I hope I'm wrong about them and you can come back to this post in December and stick it in my face. Nothing would make me happier. But until then, you can kindly STFU. :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You STFU, just another fan that wants to go and on and on about doom and gloom before the season has even started :facepalm:.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    No, you STFU, just another fan that wants to go on and on about how wonderful things are before the season has even started :facepalm:.

(See, we can go back and forth like this all day. :shrug:)

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, you can’t. You both need to stop but Seven, you started that, no reason for that response in the previous post.

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    AP can still produce better than Snell, Samuels and McFarland combined. Having him back up and mentor Harris would be ideal

22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ideally you would have a better #2. I’m not sure what discussions were had with Conner, perhaps they just wanted to move on, perhaps JC didn’t want to be a backup. I would have kept him over Samuels, after roster displacement the cost would have been negligible.

Hopefully Najee is what we all hope he is. If he goes down the drop off in production from the backfield is likely to be stark!

23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    He'd better hit the over. He needs to shatter Franco's rookie rushing record to justify being picked where he was.

975 are "just a guy" numbers.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    That would be, if running behind a decent line. If he hits 975 it's because he earned it. I'm thinking more like 750.

25. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I dont know where to start. First of all I am tired of hearing that only good offensive lineman are drafted in the first two rounds. Study the guys they picked rather than go only by what round they were drafted in. I like the picks. And the rest is not in my control. As far as RB, there will be no Adrian Peterson. Its Harris, Macfarland, Snell, Watt. Samuels and Ballage fight for the last spot and it might even be on the practice squad. Between the two, I am now thinking Ballage because he offers more as far as size and blocking and short yardage. Samuels just might be the odd man out. But thats why we have camp and preseason.

• Like Like x 3