1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a better backup RB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, May 2, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Seems everyone thinks Snell, Ballage, and McFarland are trash, maybe you're right. If so, a team fully committing to a power run game can't put all of their eggs in one basket. They need to sign a DeAngelo Williams type of vet to take over if Harris gets hurt.

Anyone have a favorite? Mark Ingram? Le'Veon? Adrian Peterson?

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm good with who they have

HARRIS will rarely come off the field as long as he gets the blitz pickup part of his game.

Better than L Bell skill - Rapping = Harris

HACK

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah, I don't think Harris is leaving the field given his pedigree and potential.

God forbid he gets hurt though. *knocks on wood* Maybe Snell improves some more and it isn't an issue, can't be sure?

4. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Snell should have got a wake up call . I expect him to come at it hard this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We used to have some awesome 3rd down backs... Verron Haynes, Mewelde Moore. It is a shame we can't seem to find them anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    What hurts Snell is taking the delayed handoff out of the shotgun. He doesn't have a good initial burst and is caught in the backfield a lot. He needs to have the QB under center and have a running start when he hits the hole. He can be an effective runner under a system like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'M good with what we have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I'm fine with Ballage. I don't think he's trash. He started to finally pass the eye test in his brief time with Chargers. I think something else was up with his aeful numbers with the Dolphins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Balledge " averages " 3.1 YPC!!!!!

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm fine with what we have. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think we will be Ok going forward, Benny Snell isn't terrible, jury is out on McFarland he didn't so much rookie year, could of been a guy who would of benefited with some pre-season action as a rookie.

I think having Canada in there might help with his skill set more.

But, make no mistake, its going to be the Najee Harris show from day 1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    still going to be the ben show. :smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was part of the problem with the entire offense as the season went on. Roethlisberger was almost never under center, and that limited the options in the running game and the passing game. It was a big part of why the offense was far too predictable, but I don't think that is going to change this season. Snell doesn't really fit their approach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We've wasted so many picks on RBs. The one that hurts the most is the Tomlin pick when we could have got our future center.

15. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Unless some undrafted free agent walks in and impresses at Latrobe and in preseason, they're going to roll with what they have. It bears repeating that improved line play could make Snell, Bellage, MacFarland and even Samuels look a hell of a lot better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm sure we will have one in the future. we can't start the play without one. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Biadasz is going to be the second coming of Mike Webster by the time you are done with this, isn't he?

(I'm kidding. I actually agree with you on this one. They should have taken him instead of McFarland. I wrote as much at the time.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Yikes, didn't expect this kind of reaction. I guess we can always sign Ben Tate again if Harris gets hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Then we're gold from the 3 yard line in. Certainly weren't last year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The jury is still out on McFarland. I think he has the biggest upside of any of the backs on the roster (besides Harris).

Snell lacks the vision, and consistent burst to be even a suitable backup. His best chance to make it in the NFL might be to go to another team that runs a more conventional offense.

Samuels is what he is. Jack of all trades, but not a very good back overall.

Ballage....we just have to wait and see.

I agree with the premise of the OP. The Steelers could use a better backup to Harris.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm good with Snell, Ballage, Mcfarland as the backups.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    We were fine at RB before Harris. We're better after. Unfortunately, Harris' health isn't the main concern. It's that we're putting the rushing attack, offense, and entire season on two draft picks.

When your OL is terrible and you lose pieces, replacing them with a round 3 and round 4 draft pick and thinking that will fix things is ridiculous. It's beyond stupid. If they said they didn't care and were just throwing darts at a dartboard, then at least I could respect them for being honest.

But picking Harris and expecting him to run behind a crap OL is NOT, and let me repeat NOT, following through with a commitment to fixing the worst rushing attack in the NFL.

Could they get lucky? Sure could. Could the two draft picks settle in to starting roles on day one and pave the way for a revamped attack? Anything is possible. But we've got no depth and all our eggs are in the basket of two draft picks and others who couldn't crack the lineup last year of the worst OL in football.

Harris isn't the answer this year. Not even close.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There were no LT or centers that was better value than Harris at #24, not every OL player has to be a first round pick, they got Dotson in the 4th round.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Fits right in here

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Just seems odd to say that the RB room was the problem, so we're going to draft one guy and give him 95% of the work at a position that takes a beating, and then have no b

Need a fall back plan.
    Depends on where you had Harris valued. PFF had him in the 60s. Gil Brandt had him at 32, Dickerson at 23.

First three picks could have been Jenkins, Humphrey, and Sermon, all three of whom would have almost surely would have been instant starters.