1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mel Keiper Jr

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, May 2, 2021.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Kiper and La Confora both are from Baltimore and still reside in Baltimore. That is all you need to know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I'm still curious to know what exactly Mel Kiper does? He is the Jay Bilas of the NFL draft. Jay Bilas during the draft says the same **** for every player after the lottery picks are picked....."Raw, project, good player". I think the internet should have made those two blockbuster video by now. Cant figure out why anyone even pays them any mind.

I mean, I am not even entrenched in college football like I am the NFL, but even I knew watching Haskins play at Ohio State that he was gonna blow. You draft linebackers out of Ohio State, not Qbs. And I watched him play, he had bust all over him. With all that Mel Kiper does, how the hell did he even entertain that a player like Haskins might be #1? That's either just him half assing his job, or he is really bad at his job.

He is most famous for getting clowned at the draft by the Colts, and that pick he was touting at the time was trent dilfer and dilfer sucked ass too.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I guess he is saying those guys don`t prepare us for winning games after Ben retires and he is right about that, but we indeed did something, LOL.

4. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Eh, 4 of the top 10 teams in rushing attempts in the league were in the AFC Playoffs last year. 2 of them in our division. 6 of those 10 teams made the playoffs last year and 1 (Arizona) just missed it. Conversely, 5 of the top 10 teams in passing attempts made the playoffs and 1 of those teams (Football Team) made it by virtue of nothing other than winning a terrible division.
    The most important offensive stat? Points for. The Packers were #1 while being 24th in pass attempts and 12th in rushing attempts. The Packers also had the longest average offensive drives in terms of time.
    It is a passing league but the teams that run the ball well are usually the ones playing in January. We have to be able to control the clock and keep the top teams in our conference out of their comfort zone. Harris, Freiermuth and Green should all be making an impact within 3 yards of the LOS and help us in our worst offensive area last year: 3rd down conversions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If the draft was as deep on the o line as many said, there’s little difference in 3rd round from 2nd IMO.

This time of year I’m just excited to see what we got. We left one hole (CB) but I don’t expect the Steelers to fill that in the draft.

6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah I can definitely see logic to their approach. Time will tell. Ultimately I think fixing that line might be a two year project.

They have signed a handful of undrafted slot corners and Norwood will presumably compete for that spot too. I would not be surprised to see them pick up a camp cut or sign one of the free agents that is still out there at CB unless they are blown away by somebody at camp. Their depth in that secondary is iffy at best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Mel Kiper must be a reincarnated Cyborg. Amazing feat to be able to process 32 teams drafts, out of hundreds and hundreds of prospects, and then calculate an accurate draft grade.

Translation: I couldn't give two $hits what that doofus grades us at...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i give mel an F+. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Passing and the threat of it opens up the run game, like we saw early last year. When it because clear that the Steelers had little intention of going downfield, defenses adjusted and flooded the box.

That won't change in 2021 if they can't get the ball downfield.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Who cares what Mellon Head says. Just another talking hack. Like said earlier just like a weather person, can be wrong most of the time but most still watch and listen to this hack.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    IMO Our starters in the secondary outside of 2 are iffy at best.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    When you pimp Jonny Manziel as a #1 pick, you shouldn’t be grading other peoples drafts.

That was the easiest bust prediction I have ever made.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    ^^^^^THIS...NFL.COM...Not some Nerd that's never played a down of Football in his life!

Also John Clayton/ Screaming A. Smith and the rest of shock talk / entertainment talking Heads..I put my Faith into a legitimate, NFL based outlet that has real Football people critiquing it!

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers were a passing team last season, and it got them nowhere, they improved their biggest weakness the running game.

16. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    As Niels Bohr said "Predictions, particularly about the future, are difficult."

It's easy to look back and pick out his, or anyone else's misses, and forget about the hits to fit whatever agenda you want.

It's pretty ridiculous. If he had given the Steelers an A, we'd all be crowing about it.

The guy's paid to be a draft analyst. If he waited four years to give a grade he wouldn't exactly be doing his job.

17. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Hate to agree with Mel. But I do.

It's not really about reaching in the draft. It's about putting your entire season in their basket. If they don't start and excel, then the draft is a bust. Harris won't lift a bad OL.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Running game started fine until teams started squatting on the horizontal pass game. If they don't fix that, they're peeing in a fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    People like Etienne because he had home run speed

I could care less about the occasional home run

I NEED HARRIS TO GET A SINGLE OR DOUBLE...I NEED HIM TO BAT .750

I need to be able to pick up 3rd and 1..4th and 1.

If the threat of picking up the first on the ground is there.. that will open the pass

HACK

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
  20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think with the number of holes we were looking at..... you really need to evaluate our drafts on a multi-year level.

Yeah, getting a center in the 3rd isn't gonna make us feel like we just signed Pouncey 2.0, but give him a chance. You can't get 7 first round draft picks in one draft...... think bigger and longer term.

21. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    You can say "some" or even "most" people, but you're wrong that "all" would be criticizing the Steelers for "not having a RB" if they went OL first.

We have RB's. We need(ed) OL. Was Harris an upgrade? Only time will tell. And we'll never know what Snell and Co. could have actually done behind a competent line blocking for a dynamic offense. Our "terrible" RB's ran behind a line that couldn't block and a QB who limited our playcalling and had to throw >70% of the time. Kind of hard to blame the RB's for our lack of rushing game. But just like people will give Tomlin FAR too much credit, they will also give our RB's FAR too much blame for not running through non-existent lanes with FAR too few carries.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Fingers crossed that our 3rd and 4th round draft picks somehow transform our putrid OL to something resembling competent. You're going to be asking a LOT of Harris to pick up a 3rd and 1 when he's fighting for yards 3 yards in the backfield. Without competent OL play, the pass won't be opened up. Harris will be bottled up and Ben will be the quickest release in the game for a second straight season.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

But we're putting a lot of faith in two mid-round draft picks.

23. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Mel is a ****ing moron. I love our draft and I love that he hates it. If you couldn't see that Johnny football was clearly going to bust you should never be allowed to talk about football again. And look what the other ****ing draft genius running the Raiders is doing.

24. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Im putting nothing on them. I'm guessing Moore is redshirting this year... and I will be pleasantly surprised if Green beats out Finney to start the season

Harris is great at falling forward... gaining that extra yard or two after contact.

Much better instincts and vision than Conner had. Conner was all heart but does not have the gifts of Harris

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  25. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Well, then he's going to be good for -1 yards a carry then, especially if contact includes our own linemen's backsides. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1