1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Blocking schemes -

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, May 2, 2021.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelers haven't been coming off the ball, hat on hat, for quite a number of years. Which is one of the reasons for our short yardage woes. It hasn't been good for quite some time. LevBell only covered up how bad we became at short yardage.

I was under the impression we switched to Zone Blocking schemes when Munch became our online coach?

It may be popular to be a Zone Blocking team these days, but I don't see how it helps our short yardage run game at all, especially on Goal Line.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Honestly... after that post..I was hesitant on my wording about a RB hitting the hole

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats what I remember, too but don’t know when they moved away from it, probably when JC took over as RB.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    we did and still do run an outside zone. That isn’t the problem per se. Munch was more about technique and as a result we became soft and get zero movement. No movement = no running lanes. Canada appears to use a lot of outside zone and compliments that with gap schemes. Last year we got kind of a preview of what Canada will do. Lots of pre snap motion etc. it was working, but we went away from it. I’m assuming that was Ben’s desire. From what I’ve read Canada uses a lot of play action as well. That will be something else to watch for. For whatever reason ben seems to despise play action despite its efficacy. If Ben will buy into what Canada is doing we will look much different offensively. If not it will be a repeat of 2020.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we did go zone blocking under munch but inside zone. under haley it was more a&b gap. under fichtner it moved out to more b&c gap inside zone for both coordinators. canada runs more outside zone. we have been moving a gap further outside with each coordinator basically. now we are adding motion moving LB'ers across the formation. this is about as simplistic as i can describe what we have done the last 5 years.

bell was good at waiting until the GAP came open and quick enough to get through holes in either scheme as we changed it. i saw some video's about mcfarland last year showing him missing the open GAP. his vision was poor in that aspect. we busted some decent outside runs last year but TE is a huge part of this scheme. also the use of the extra tackle where the TE would play has been used. when we lined up to one side or mcdonald was on that side we gave a big time SHOW to the defense of where our run was going partly because ebron is a weak blocker. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    thats one. there are many on youtube. there is one on teaching zone blocking in ten minutes. :cool: