1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Off-Season moves, are we done?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, May 2, 2021.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Draft is over.

How do you feel about the make up of this team? I really like our draft, but there are still some things that I would love to shore up.

I know cash is tight, but I still think we should bring in a veteran TE, OT, and OLB.

I love Freiermuth, but he will only be able to do so much his rookie year. Gentry and Radar just haven't done much of anything since coming here. I hate to say it, but Jesse James perhaps?

Going into next year with lack of experience at both Tackle positions is concerning. Would Big Al give us a home town discount?

Roche as a rookie probably won't be able to give us serious snaps at OLB. Marsh is probably going to be the next in line to play, but he is a ST's ace. He isn't going to add the weight he needs to be able to set the edge in run defense. Not sure who we could possibly add here?

Also, is there anyway we get Steven Nelson back on a cheaper deal? I'd feel a lot better if he was back on this team.

I suspect there will be some cuts by other teams from now until the start of the season? Maybe someone falls in our laps?

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers do not really do splash off seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't think they are done. But no idea what the will do I think they were doing the same as others and not wanting to upset the compensatory picks

HACK

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Among the aspects that the Steelers likely will bring in, I expect another Tight End. Jesse James is still out there and giving him a call would not hurt in the slightest. Disagree about Quincy Roche as he will likely supersede Cassius Marsh by the end of the Pre Season should all go well for him as his pass rushing ability is among the best in the class. If anything, I expect both Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin to do what they always do; wait for some players to be cut. Usually speaking, some surprise cuts do happen after the Draft though it could take some time. My guess is that this could be one of those cases. Offensive Tackle is another although I do not currently see many, if any, options right now.

Overall though, I feel much better about our Roster Today than I did on April 26th. The team has gotten better in my opinion; doubly so in the trenches where they needed it most. Now, just have to hope that these picks pan out and will serve the team well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have no doubt Roche can rush the passer. Marsh as a speed guy can too. Usually the downfall of our defense, though, is if our OLB's or DE struggle with their run defense.

I think both Roche and Marsh might struggle in that department. I'd almost rather have a backup that is better stuffing the run than pass rushing.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Next move, if any, will most likely be if someone gets cut during camp. Typically a vet with a couple of years left in the tank cut because a young guy is moving up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Love adding quincy roche, but we definitely need to do more for our depth at the position and at safety

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think they are done, they are just holding out not wanting to mess up their comp. formula for the 2022 draft.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe we get a guy for a one year deal closer to the season. with this cap this year there could be many guys waiting until someone makes them an offer closer to the season instead of sitting out and collecting nothing. :cool:

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d be very surprised if they don’t make a move at corner / secondary. Depth there is potentially a big issue if there are a couple of injuries.

I’d be more comfortable if they had another guy to rotate in at OLB, I don’t think Marsh is up to it and Roche may need some time. TE, is another spot that could use more depth but they can probably get away with what they have.

Not much money there to do anything bar pick up a camp cut but they have to address the depth in the secondary. They’ll have some money next offseason so I’d expect them to go after a corner in free agency then to replace Haden.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’d be mildly annoyed if we brought back James at this point. He was ok for us at the time but hasn’t done much since. It would be a bit of an unimaginative move...

I think they’re still looking for a corner and back up safety though

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hope we’re not done, but our cap situation doesn’t support any moves of significance.

Honestly, I’m not sure what the hell our front office is trying to do. Keeping Ben and resigning JuJu says “win now.” Most of everything else that’s been done says “see you in 2022 or 2023.” As it currently stands our offensive line is pretty lousy. I think Green has a bright NFL future based on what I’ve watched of him, but I have trouble seeing him as a quality NFL center in 2021. Having Chuks and Banner as our starting tackles, and Finney or Hassenhauer as likely day 1 center candidates should have everyone who touches a football in the backfield signing up for Aflac.

Im not feeling all that good about corner and backup safety either.

13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Money post. Exactly how I feel. Don't hate a lot of the picks, precisely because they're what draft picks should be - for the future.

But they sent a message all offseason they were "winning now", except when they didn't. The losses of Hilton and Nelson are the death knell for the D. They should have kept them AND added more. CBs are like gold in today's NFL.

If they go into the season expecting Najee Harris to carry them to the promised land, they'd better have a DeAngelo Williams type backup.

Should have let Ben and JuJu walk and drafted BPA with every pick. I know Najee was BPA on their board, but only because they have the misguided notions that RB is the most important position in the run game. In today's NFL he's a late 2nd round pick, or should be.

14. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    My wish list FA

OT. C LENO

TE. RICKY SEALS JONES, Jesse James, Jordan Legget

OLB. OLIVIER VERNON, Jachai Polite, Vic Beasly

LB. AVERY WILLIAMSON, Malik Jefferson

S. MALIK HOOKER

CB RICHARD SHERMAN, Gareon Conley, Steven Nelson

Leno was the starting LT for the Bears, he was let go when they drafted Jenkins. Worst case is he is the LT backup

Seals Jones more WR.. but had a huge year for AZ few years back. 3rd TE here

Olivier Vernon coming off injury.. but high motor... and would not need to be 100%: could come in fresh and just rush the passer

I bring Avery back behind Bush as we saw last year. Nice to have a lot of Lbs

Malik Hooker could be the S Davis player. Back up both spots...even play the slot

Sherman wants to play 2 more years. I think he can. Put him and Haden outside and slide Sutton inside.... brings leadership and a nasty swagger that I think the defense needs.

HACK

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sherman is washed up, Hooker is injury prone

16. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Oh, we're done. We are done. (And that doesn't have anything to do with the off-season)

17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It could be before that, there will be some vet cuts around June 1st. I know we are cash strapped, but players will be looking. Some of these will be long in the tooth as well, but might be able to provide that one year while the rooks getup to speed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

That's the point! If guys are at the top of their game they don't sit without a job in May.

Sherman has 4 ints the last 2 years in 20 games...Haden has 7 and Nelson 3 each in 30 games the last 2 years.

Hooker would be a back up.

HACK

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I just hate the long wait until a football game that counts.

Wish I still enjoyed baseball, but it`s too boring for me. Also don`t care much for the other sports. :beee:

20. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    The state of the Steelers right now just makes me sad. We'll win more than we lose, again. But we won't be relevant by the time December rolls around. Tomlin will get another winning season and will be heralded the GOAT by his adoring fan-boys because he's got such an impressive regular-season record. I mean, that's all that matters in football, right? I'm too old for Tomlin's nonsense. I want to enjoy another SB before I die. At this rate, I'll be using a walker to get to the fridge for a prune juice by the time the Steelers make it to the big game again. It all makes me just a tad irritable.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Another pessimist. The roster isn’t even finalized yet. have some freaking patience.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Could be a move right here.

• Like Like x 2
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There is Boxing. That Kickboxing, and a little MMa is all the sports I watch until Football.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He was a top-20 value who only lasted that long because the position has been devalued. In today's NFL, he isn't a late second-round pick.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Cutting Roethlisberger would have left them with a big dead-money hit. Smith-Schuster actually came fairly cheap. The Steelers try to stay competitive even as they rebuild. That's why you get a mix of moves for this year and moves for the long run.

They really need to find a little more help in the secondary, even if it is just depth. I knew they would only keep one out of Sutton and Hilton, but cutting Nelson was an unpleasant surprise.

• Winner Winner x 1