1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mel Keiper Jr

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, May 2, 2021.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Gives the Steelers the worst draft grade. Says we reached for both the lineman.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Thank God! I wasn’t sure whether we had a good draft or not, but if Mel gives us the lowest grade, I know it was a great draft.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  3. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Eh I’d say the guy knows a lot more about the players than us but maybe he just doesn’t like the Steelers

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Being a draft analyst is like being a below average weather person. You can be wrong most of the time and blame it on unpredictable circumstances. That's Mel Kiper, Jr. I never took him seriously.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    He loves Balt, if that tells ya anything

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Well there you go!

Still he’s supposedly a draft guru so let’s see how it turns out

7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Here’s from another source on the score

Grade: C-
    The Steelers went against the current trend of avoiding a running back in the first round, but Harris brings authority to a backfield that lacked star power last year. However, he might quickly discover his new offensive line is nothing like the one Harris ran behind at Alabama. Pittsburgh surprisingly chose to ignore that unit until the third round, even though it's been a major area of concern. Although selecting a tight end in the second round may give Ben Roethlisberger another weapon, that might be irrelevant due to the poor protection in front of him. While the Steelers added a few quality players, they may have been better off beefing up their offensive line first.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't this about the equivalent of or more reaching than teachers/professors handing out student grades prior to the beginning of the semester? They're all big time blowhards IMHO. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think it is fair to question whether they should have prioritised the OLine. Reading the various reports on Green and Moore I don’t think they were over drafted however, in fact some other analysts are calling Green a steal.

They took impact skill position players early, believing that the draft was much deeper at the OLine position. It’ll be 2-3 years before we know if this was the right thing to do. It’s not just about this year.

We should not worry about Kiper or any other analyst. Go back and read the draft grades from last year to see how ridiculous some of them turned out to be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Opinions are like, well, you know... and he is one of them. Besides, there are 32 teams that have people dedicated to know exactly what their individual teams strengths, weaknesses, and needs are. This idiot is trying to judge each of these 32 teams like he knows better who they should have drafted? I find that highly unlikely. Again, these people are not held accountable for sh@t they get paid to write or say. He should preface each of his nonsense with " for entertainment only- not responsible for the content of anything written or said".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He does, but...

"Cornerback Justin Layne (No. 83), a converted receiver, could be a starter as a rookie. I thought he had a chance to go in the top 40 picks."

"H-back Jaylen Samuels (165) is one of the most versatile offensive players in the entire class."

"I had Tyus Bowser rated higher than T.J. Watt, but it was close."

"Senquez Golson is one of my favorite players in the draft, an INT machine at Ole Miss who plays bigger than his size and has the hands I wish more wide receivers had."

"The fun one to watch will be Sammie Coates, not only because every wide receiver the Steelers take in this range seems to turn into Superman, but also because he truly is one of the physical freaks in this draft."

Moral of the story is while Kiper is correct a lot, he's also wrong alot. The NFL draft is nothing but a gambal and calculating the odds a player will work out. Harris could be a complete bust but Moore could be an all-pro LT. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I dont think he is necessarily wrong.... on paper.... but now it's up to the players and coaches to prove Kiper wrong on the field.

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The funny thing about some of these analysts is prior to the draft they espouse the BPA method, but afterward criticize teams that didn't address a particular need in a particular set of rounds. While there can be instances where it could be fairly argued that players from more than one position are available at a pick who have relatively equal grades, there are plenty of instances where they're not. Some analysts will conduct due diligence and name the player they felt the team should've picked, most don't - they'll just stick to a tagline of 'team x didn't address position y until the z round... C-.'

While a fair argument could be made that, given the players available, the Steelers could have gone OL in the first over Harris (and second with Frieiermuth as well), equal argument against can - and obviously from Colbert, was - made for the players selected. I typically lean toward stabilizing the line first, but didn't have a big issue with the direction Colbert went. But that's looking at the specifics of the players in play at the time, not just because 'they didn't address the line until the third.'

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, he wasn't wrong about Coates, who was a physical freak. Unfortunately, with the exception of a few games early in 2016, he couldn't figure out how to apply those gifts. He wasn't wrong about Samuels being versatile, either. He is just equally below average at many things.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And teams know more than any of the “expert” analysts.

Steelers routinely get low grades and yet are one of the top drafting teams in the league. Let that sink in.

Meanwhile, some of the mocks these guys do make me wonder if they even look at our roster.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Kiper looked smarter when there were fewer people doing what he does. He's good at pulling information from lots of places, but that was a hell of a lot more valuable 30-plus years ago than it is now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Analysts fall in love with their board. If teams go against how an analyst had the players slotted, then they assume it is a reach.

I get why Kiper graded the Steelers poorly. People seem to hate first round running backs. Taking Freiermuth over Humphrey was a solid pick, but did not address the biggest need which is center. Taking Green over Meinerz is considered a reach by some. The rest of the draft is full of guys who are perceived to be projects. I wasn't expecting a passing grade from Mel.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I mean...

This is the same Mel Kiper Jr that thought Julio Jones was going to bust in the NFL. Given that alone, I would say that he is quite overrated despite his immense influence on those that do not pay attention to the draft too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    My favorite line.... The Steelers have done nothing to prepare for life after Ben

2017 Josh Dobbs 4th round 135th over-all 7th QB taken

2018 Mason Rudolph 3rd round 76th over-all 6th QB taken

2019 Dwayne Haskins 1st round 15th over-all 3rd QB taken

Insert your favorite 3rd or 4th round from this draft and we will see where they are in a few years.

HACK

• Like Like x 3
  21. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    So had the Steelers traded up for Haskins and not Bush...he would have been singing their praise.....Kiper had Haskins as possibly the 1st pick in the draft.

HACK

• Winner Winner x 3
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope, not really. He may at one time had some useful thoughts but those days were in the last millennium.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t let other people do your thinking for you if you can help it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  25. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Who the hell is Mel Kieper? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

• Winner Winner x 1