1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I was right "2019 Draft was worst in years and set us back"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, May 1, 2021.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Very controversial thread at the time but proven right just 2 years later. After the Bush pick Colbert and Co started partying and declared draft victory. While there was still work to be done. Here's the thread - http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/worst-draft-in-years-it-will-set-us-back-years.22178/

So lets break it down now...

DJ - We should have traded up the few spots for Metcalf like I wanted. The kicker in this situation is we then waste our 1st pick in the 2020 draft to get a Metcalf clone.

Justin Layne - Bust like predicted.

Benny Snell - Pointless with Harris.

Gentry - Bust so drafted Pat.

Sutton Smith - Bust.

Then I kept saying going into the 2020 draft we need to address the center position. Pouncey was one of the worst rated centers going into last year. Everybody could see it but the Steelers. Tyler Biadasz was the best pulling center in a decade. He played two years at Wisconsin. That's a real center. Who did we draft instead of him? Wait.... Wait for it..... McFarland who is pointless now with Harris.

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/t...s-tomlins-infatuation-with-dmv-players.24119/

I'm not going to count DJ because DJ+Claypool could be nice but just pointing out the waste of draft capital. Especially after caving to Juju this year. But as you can see that's at least 5 high draft picks wasted just based on who we drafted this year and recent transgressions. This is just in a 2 year span as well. Picks that could have been used to trade up and get higher quality players.

As far as this year? I didn't even bother. I've already shown I have a better track record than Colbert. Colbert if you're reading this PM and hire me for next year!

Harris - Alabama RB. No o-line. A pick everybody saw coming. It almost seems too good to be true. It was a huge need and doesn't look like it could be addressed in FA. 5th year option. So I like it. Only issue I see is potential timing with future QB. If we ever get freed from Ben. Potential rookie QB development + Harris contract. Unless Haskins is the future or we get somebody like Rodgers. I like the pick.

Pat - Everybody was complaining about this pick because it wasn't o-line. We've also missed a run blocking TE. Ebron can't block. So assuming he can catch and block as advertised. I like the pick.

Kendrick Green - He's played like 5 games at center in college. He's a project. Tyler played 2 years at Wisconsin. That's real center but we needed a DMV running back to please Tomlin. But I regress... I go to watch Kendricks highlights and there's like 3 plays and the rest is him clapping and hyping himself up. I have to admit this video below got me hyped and what we need on our o-line. But that's all I saw on his highlights as well so he's a pro hypeman. Hopefully he can develop into something else but might take years. I'm 50/50 on this one.

Don't forget I called/wanted Haskins years ago. I'm basically the best football mind on here. I should charge for my knowledge. Colbert PM me.

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/trade-proposal-steelers-skins-for-tomlin.23088/

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
  3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    And the kicker is, Bush hasn't come close to proving to be worth all of that draft capital. He's not even at Timmons level yet, and he needs to exceed that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I cant really argue with much of what you wrote, but I will say this.

I hate it when people just assume the Steelers should have traded up, or back to take a player. There is more to it than that. First, it takes two to tango. Gotta have a trade partner. And two, you have to find a deal you like. Colbert is not going to sell the farm to move up 3 spots the way some of these other teams do.

The other point I would argue is that McFarland is now far from pointless. In fact I think he has more value now than ever. He can be the perfect change of pace to Harris. His college OC is now calling the shots. I think McFarland contributes quite a bit this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Was not a huge fan of that draft either, especially the trade for Devin Bush. Nothing against the guy whatsoever, but they basically used a first, a second, and a third to get him. Madness considering the equality available in rounds 2/3 now. His story is still being written and it may turn out well in the end, we’ll see, I just think it was too rich for a linebacker personally.

Diontae could still be very good, but the return after that has certainly been underwhelming.

They did bounce back with a very good draft last year I thought.

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Look at me/ pat myself on the back, thread?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm one of the most negative members here, but I think Bush will" pull a Bud" and become a damn good LB for the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Kendrick Green has Tomlin written all over that pick. An unleashing hell , cheerleading lineman.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Agree w you. Steelers panicked after not trading up a few spots n getting vanderesch or like year before. Just like sitting n waiting for Jackson then drafting burns. So those 2 situations got then to wake up, but was a ton to give up n frankly Bush hasn't shown Shazier a ability. IMO

Not a fan of this year either, frankly

11. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I know hindsight is 20-20 but the guy the Steelers should have traded up into the top five for was Devin White.

I thought Bush was good, not great player at Michigan. I hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-5-1_12-50-56.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You're so smart. I wonder why no team has snapped up such a draft Mensa.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Wow! All these correct predictions. All while boycotting! Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’m still praying for the boycott to start.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Because anyone who thinks Haskins is anything but a bust just exposed themselves as maybe not the best hire available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Mel Kiper is that you?

18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Perhaps a Presidential Pardon is needed so we can all let bygones be bygones. Hell, never mind - that wouldn't be any fun. Carry on comrades. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You can’t take any credit for predicting Justin Layne. He is a CB drafted by the Steelers, which effectively makes him a bust before he turned up.

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You're right. I'm not going to bash the pick because I think we'd all agree it was much needed at the time. But it's not looking good.

I was more upset with everything after. Acted like they won the draft because they traded up for the 1st time in forever. Then proceeded to fumble the rest of the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know what “all the correct predictions were” though?

Bush and DJ are great picks. Snell is filling the roll he was drafted for. Buggs and Grant are two 6th rounders providing depth.

Basically he got Smith and Layne right. When you declare every pick a bust, you’re bound to hit on a couple.

This thread is a bust though :yawn:

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

You do not participate in any discussions in the Bill Nunn section of the site. Your takes are based off of pure emotion with no intuition, fact checking or analysis to provide any concrete evidence. You do not even comment on who the Steelers have interest on during the Pro Day Circuit.

This whole "holier than thou" schtick has run its course. Rather, there is not a course to run on except the one conjured up in that fantasy world you live in @SDOT. I suggest you gather more information and do a little more research before making such outlandish claims..

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I was not a Bush fan....I watched my Buckeyes push him all over the field and he was a non factor

BUT he proved me wrong in year 1.... and year 2 was an incomplete

That being said

2019 looks like

RD 1 pick 10 Bush
    RD 1 pick 15 Haskins

Everyone wants that QB for the future... had the Steelers traded up and drafted him.. people would have lost their minds both good and bad.

You never know what QB will pan out. The Redskins did him a favor by cutting him after not doing him any favors by drafting him.

Maybe he shows something.. maybe he don't... but it cost the Steelers nothing to find out

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Still upset about DJ Metcalf. That's dedication. Let it go man.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Chase Claypool > D.K. Metcalf.

Year one gave me all the evidence I needed. For that matter, Claypool's Senior Season showed me a player who's potential has yet to be tapped; Superstar ability. Metcalf was not even in Claypool's league when he was a Rookie.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1