1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the Steelers Draft Post Day 2

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Apr 30, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I will give it a solid B.

I like the Harris pick. I think Etienne would have been just as good, and maybe even a better fit. But either way, the Steelers found a starting back for the foreseeable future. Huge upgrade over our current crop of backs.

Freiermuth was slated to be a first round pick. Not my favorite selection. But the need was definitely there. He needs to improve his blocking. But he has better hands than Ebron, and Ebron isn't exactly known for his blocking either. Freiermuth will be on the field a ton this year. I can see him becoming a favorite target of Ben pretty quickly.

Green will compete with Hassenauer and Finney at Center. Big Ten backround, and his film looks great. I thought Meinerz was the smarter pick. But lets face it, If not for Meinerz turning heads at the Senior Bowl, we probably wouldn't even be talking about him. I hope Colbert got it right.

All in all pretty solid so far, although getting Creed Humphrey in the 2nd would have made this a grade A draft for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I agree. B sounds about right.

Rd. 1 - You have to take a RB like Najee Harris if he's on the board. He's big, shifty, athletic, and has great hands out of the backfield. The only OL I really would have considered was Darrisaw.

Rd. 2 - I like Friermuth, I just don't know if I like a TE being picked here. Friermuth certainly has a lot of upside. Can play in line and flex out. I probably would have gone with Humphrey or Wyatt Davis here.

Rd. 3 - Green is extremely athletic. This makes a lot of sense if we're going to a more ZBS approach in the run game.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    A-

We filled needs with all 3 picks with quality players.

Arguably the best RB in the draft. A very solid TE and versatile interior OL. People may have preferred a different order to those positions of need, but I can't complain with any of the players picked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I also wanted Humphrey in the second but I like what I see from Green, and we needed a quality TE rather than taking another Gentry-esque punt in the later rounds.

A- for me.

5. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Team Offense Rank over the years...source PRO FOOTBALL REFERENCE

2020 #12
    2019 #31
    2018 #8
    2017 #8
    2016 #11
    2015 #5
    2014 #7
    2013 #17
    2012 #22
    2011 #22
    2010 #12
    2009 #12
    2008 #20
    2007 #9

Team Defense - Pro Football Reference

2007 - #2
    2008 - #1
    2009 - #13
    2010 - #1
    2011 - #1
    2012 - #6
    2013 - #14
    2014- #18
    2015 - #11
    2016 - #10
    2017 - #7
    2018 - #17
    2019 - #6
    2020 - #3

I don't know if you can complain too much about who they've drafted. I think a B+ at least based upon where they've drafted. It's not like they couldnt use each player picked to this point. The offense seems to have been the weak link more often then the defense over the years so it only makes sense to focus on it and try and bring them up to par as its been difficult to get the offense/defense on the same page. Contrary to what many of us may have thought this team has been far from a juggernaut (especially on the offensive side). You really don't have to be a juggernaut to win the SB though. Sometimes it just comes down to when you get hot on both sides of the ball.

I expect them to continue to draft towards offensive issues and hopefully get to the balance they had on both sides of the ball in 2017 (although it will probably be more like 2016) because I suspect the defense will take a significant step back and there's no reason to think Ben is going to be anything other than old Ben. If there's any consolation the Steelers did manage to win the division both years so they should not be as underestimated as they are by division foes and media, but we will see.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t like grading or rating picks until we see guys on the field but in terms of building the roster they have filled some very clear needs. When was the last time they went offence with all of their first three picks?

The analytics guys will be absolutely losing their minds over what they have done so it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. PFF were already in convulsions over the Harris pick yesterday, calling it the worst pick of Rd 1

Gotta get some depth on defence today.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    A
    We got three very good players at out top three positions of need.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Definitely all 3 picks as said were need picks and solidifies the future. To me its not all about this year alone. The Ben retirement tour will go on as planned. Hopefully he doesn't go out with a multiple pick outing and can adjust to Canada's offensive plan. A major commitment to running the football. I like that kind of party!

I will say A- just due to the fact they haven't played a snap in the NFL. But I have a feeling all 3 will all make an impact...

No one knows at this point how the O Line will shape up so stop crying. They are moving away from finesse to a more physical approach.

2022 draft: A QB in the 1st.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Need an OLB for depth. And add an ILB as well. One thing they don't need are any more D Lineman. They can field a whole 11.

10. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    A. I'm happy. All 3 are very good and at positions of need. OT, CB, LB to finish this up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I don’t see how anyone can complain about this draft. We got starters at positions of need with our first 3 picks. Our offensive line has been soft for the past couple years and the Steelers have added maulers to address that. LT might still be a concern, but Dotson, Green, Decastro, and Banner is a solid start and goes a long long way towards fixing our running game.

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Long term, Freiermuth is my favorite pick. Harris will be a good to very good 3-4 year player if the OL doesn't stink, Green an undersized overachiever on the OL. Like his attitude, but I think his physical limitations lower his ceiling.

13. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I give it a solid B+ so far.

TBH I was hoping for a center at pick 55 but the TE was definately not a bad pick (Potential steal IMHO).

If they can add Molden (sp) at slot CB in the 4th round that could be 4 starters in 1 draft which is very very good.

14. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Molden is gone btw.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Gotcha! I was listening to draft replay on SNR this morning and must have missed it.

Makes me wonder what they will do now...

16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Anyone reading my posts knows I wanted frieirmuth in the 1st, so getting najee first and still having frieirmuth fall to us in the 2nd has me on cloud 9..... The 3rd pick actually shocked me.. kendrick green is one of the few that I didn't scout, and don't know much about him.... Thought for sure that they would go with meinerz....

• Like Like x 2
  17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    That's the best part about this draft, it's setting us up for a high first rounder next year.

Silver linings.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Me personally, I give it an A+. On a different thread I had speculated Harris in round 1, OL round 3 and round 2 could surprise "TE?"

Since it all came true, what more could I want?

19. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I've very happy with the draft so much. It's clear they're filling holes but also preparing for a QB transition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Think of an offensive Bince in terms of mentality. He's far more athletic but he's a DOG. Perfect Steeler.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011