1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Najee Harris

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 29, 2021.

1. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    You are making it sound like we lost the Najee Pick. The steelers ended up getting who they wanted... :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    People here just ignoring or unaware of how a solid back, alone, helps mitigate the pass rush, before even factoring in the O line.

Play Action, RPO, Greater QB trust ( more run attempts), A strong blocker himself, Wheel routes, screen game. Etc.

Yes C and T should be addressed. But even in a vacuum the Najee pick changes a lot more than just the runner behind the line.

I'm not implying that the Front Office weighs in the wants of the fans before they pick. Just that the fans are more in sync with the front office than other fanbases are.

When The Steelers traded up to 10 we all knew what the pick was with pretty near 100% certainty. We all knew at the point that Najee was still there that he would be picked with maybe an 80% certainty. When you have the same guys doing the same things in Tomlin and Colbert year after year us fans get pretty good at sniffing out the picks. Most times. But youre right, Artie was a panic pick, and Edmunds was out of the blue. But we as fans never 'knew' the Steelers would panic pick or pick a percieved 3rd round safety in the first round. So all I'm asking is which side of the spectrum is more preferable to you? My personal choice is the side of the spectrum thats got Najee and Bush on it.

Now maybe our collective knowledge is actually due to leaks and not our intuitive Steeler watching knowledge. Doesnt seem to matter much though if Steelers still get who they want despite the leaky ship theyre sailing. Except for your Revis example which is just making too much of a pretty common practice of teams jumping other teams to snipe guys they want that they think other teams want too, which is pretty much what to expect on Draft Day.

3. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    you are correct we didn’t lose the pick. I am upset because we tip our hand too much. Mike Ditka said he would give up all of his draft picks to trade up and get Ricky Williams. Since mike said that publicly he ended up having to give up more than all of that years picks. My point is tipping your hand can only hurt you it will never help you

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know how it hurts in this case. Everyone and their sister knew the Steelers wanted Najee Harris so, we had to settle......................for Najee Harris!

5. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. While it may be a "win now" mode for Ben, we cannot draft according to Ben's last year. We must draft for the future. If Ben is the QB he still wants to be, he will adapt. I like this pick, we may now have a franchise RB on the roster. The "Killer B's" are gone, it is time to move on.

6. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    You can't pass on a RB like Harris.

Just a reminder, here's are the notable OL left on the board:

Jackson Carman
    Sam Cosmi
    Wyatt Davis
    Landon Dickerson
    Liam Eichenberg
    Creed Humphrey
    Teven Jenkins
    Walker Little
    Jalen Mayfield
    Quinn Meinerz
    Josh Myers
    Dillon Radunz

We will come away with 1-2 potential starting OL tonight, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I’m ok with the pick because this draft is stacked with decent Oline prospects. The Steelers can fill some of those holes later on.

Harris may not be the fastest back in the world, but his vision is far, far better than anyone else on the roster. That alone should help the running game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I like your list. I think we need to start at center or maybe you disagree? What do you think about the centers we have on the team now?

10. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Unless we substantially upgrade the OL, the only thing Harris' vision will do is let him see that he's on the wrong team.

People, I don't know how else to say it, RB was NOT our problem.

If, and that's a big if, we get extremely lucky in the draft and put together a somewhat competent line, Harris might make it through the season. If we don't, he's going to have to muscle his way out of, and through, bad blocking. He won't hold up.

11. SteelersBane

SteelersBane Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Best running back in the Draft. Now we got to fix the offensive line because the run blocking last year was pathetic.

12. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    So many great guys left.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey now, you know I didn’t even want a RB in rd 1 :lolol:

But I can’t ignore the talent and judging by a lot of comments, some members here aren’t aware there are 7 more picks available with some really good line talent still on the board.

And about that shotgun, I think our best runs came from shotgun last season :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers front office is notoriously tight lipped on their draft picks.

It was common sense that they’d be interested in Harris.

The only thing you might be able to point a finger out is how they conduct their draft preparation, you can gleam a lot by who they are interested in by who they send to pro days but you can probably say that about any team.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The logic is there’s better depth at OL in the draft than at RB.

Im hoping for a C in the second though.

16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    His burst would just make him run into the backs of our useless line, the slower Harris would give them more time to shift.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Is that because our only runs came from the shotgun lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I don't understand what you're trying to say... Completely OPPOSITE of the Revis situation... Nobody jumped in front of us, AND we got the Guy we wanted...Am I missing something?

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, me too. Steelers could land one of the best NCAA Centers with 2nd round pick. Last time Steelers took an OT in the 2nd was Adams in '12. They actually got much better value with Beachum that year in the 7th round.

20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So the Steelers had the worst line in football last year..... yet still managed to get to 12-4 through some type of voodoo

Is not the QB he sucks and is washed up

Was not the line.. they were the worst in football

Was not the head coach.. they win in spite of him.

Was not Colbert.. guy can't draft his way out of a paper bag

Can you imagine how many perfect seasons and lombardi trophies they would have if they just listened to online near boards? They would need s new wing at the stadium!!!!

Calling my shot...Harris .. baring injury....1500 yards from scrimmage next year....reguardless of who they draft the rest of the way. He will be a threat every week in both the run and pass game.

Hack

• Like Like x 2
  21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Then why spend first round capital on a guy who you will likely not sign to a 2nd contract? This seems like a win now in 2021 move, in which case they'd better get a tackle and center with the next two picks and play small ball this coming season to protect the defense.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You see us being 5 years away from contention?

Only if they can’t find the next QB and if thats the case, having a stud RB only makes the QB’s job easier.

23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Possibly. In 2022 Ben, VDubs, Ebron, JuJu, Alualu will all be gone most likely. Heyward and Haden aren't far behind. DeCastro, too. If they miss on the next QB it could be longer. If they don't, we've seen that they still need an insanely talented D to have any success on that side of the ball.

This team is undergoing major changes in the next couple of years.

24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    A) There was not a center out there who deserved to be a first round pick. There are three or four mid-second round picks, but no first round abilities.
    B) There will still be 2-3 (oe 4) NFL starting caliber centers when we draft in round 2.
    C) There were no first round (left) tackles when we picked. When Darisaw went off the board, basically the choice was down to Harris and JOK.
    D) Tackles will be at a premium at the beginning of round 2, to protect all of the offensive "stars" not named Sewell picked in the first 8 picks. But not center.
    E) There are a lot of good linemen left in the draft, along with good cornerbacks, good linebackers, etc.... Lets not burn our jerseys until the draft is over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I read quite a few references to Bama's OL but Clemson's OL was no slouch either. Besides, Clemson's OL played against inferior talent in the ACC, so miss me with the OL comparison. I will not take anything away from Etienne but I think you're nit picking based on personal bias.