1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Najee Harris

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You do know the draft didn’t end last night, right? And that this years line is already different than last and remains to be seen how they will perform?

I liked the story about him not being able to get a flight for Alabamas pro day so he drove so he could be there to cheer his teammates on even know he wasn’t participating.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I read that same article. Of those 47 runs they show, I bet Issac Redman could get off the couch right now and make most of them.

The point is even though he had wide open holes, to where he wasn't getting touched for a least the first 10 yards, he did very little with them.

The OL did a fantastic job, but what did Harris himself bring to the situation? Other than running through holes that most college backs could have.

He didn't take what they gave him and expand upon it, a lot of the time. He just took what they gave him.

I would've been fine with him in the 2nd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You would take Etienne over Harris due to the speed? They run the same 40...4:40... Bell ran a 4:60. You know the team made a great pick when there's a lot of people on here complaining about grabbing the best back in college.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would have taken Etienne.

I do not hate the pick. I just do not think he is a fit here.

For Harris to be successful you need an offense that is built around a power running game. I just do not see that happening.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Steelers fans during 2020 draft: We need to trade up into the 1st round and get one of the top running backs in this draft!

After the draft: I can't believe how much the FO screwed this one up we need a 1st rd running back.

Steelers fans during the 2021 draft: We should trade back and get more picks, plenty of holes to fill.

After round 1 drafting top rb in the draft: OMG I can't believe they drafted a 1st round rb. Huge holes all over the place. What is the front office thinking!

As I predicted 50/50 love hate for the fanbase.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah. Harris is definitely not a "shotgun draw" running back. I hope we use this guy right. The O-Line may not be as bad as everyone thinks. The style of offense the Steelers ran last year made the line look worse than it was. A change of approach will help fix a lot of issues. It is all up to Ben though at the end of the day. If he wants to throw 50 times from the shotgun. Thats whats happening.

7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Not only did he have the best OL, Alabama had the deadliest array of WR college football has seen in a long time and an accurate QB. I doubt he faced many crowded boxes.

I hope he's the next Earl Campbell, but not holding my breath.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Forget the 40. It is all about burst with Etienne.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think you are projecting your thoughts on the Steelers onto that decision-making process. It doesn't reek of desperation. They took a player who was a first-round value at a position of need. You can disagree with the pick. I'm not sure I agree with the pick, but to call it desperation makes little sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep Ben not wanting to turn his back to the defense and not being good at selling a fake takes a toll on RB'S ...PA helps the RB just as much as it does the Receivers the lack of using it is how Teams shut this Offense down last year.. I hope Ben is on board with from under Center PA ..If not this O will look like the end of last season..

If Ben refuses to use PA or he is not capable then he needs to be benched ...

11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Some people are too hung up on breakaway speed. If the kid averages 4.5 ypc, and can consistently score in the red zone, who the hell cares how many 40 yard runs he has? He's more well round than Etienne and more suited to handle the weekly pounding of the NFL. I'd have rather there was a stud center to be had, but to cry and whine about taking a kid that can be a star at a position of DIRE need is kind of silly, to be honest. Also, too many folks hung up on the difference he can make this year, and whether or not Ben will be willing to get under center. I think we can all agree this likely Ben's last year. Harris is a pick for immediate and future help post Roethlisberger.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    I like the pick. I believe the Steelers will see a HUGE improvement with run blocking under new tutelage and scheme.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They know it's Ben's last year and several other key vets are approaching the end, too - DD, Heyward, Haden, Williams, etc. Lots of free agents next offseason. This is their last shot with Ben.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Dobbins will be up there, too if Ravens ever commit to him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Behind Alabama's O line. Wait until he has to run a shotgun draw off of BJ Finney's hip. LOL

Just messing with you Blast. The pick is growing on me by the minute. I still think Etienne would have made more of an impact this season. But i think they both end up having great careers.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    To be fair. I actually think Najee's ceiling is HIGHER than Derrick Henry. Najee is just as powerful, but more athletic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers finished 32nd in the NFL in rushing. I understand you need a good line to block. But, a great back is part of that equation whoever didn't like the pick too bad.

I hope Harris does very well I like his character upside as well, he seems a good fit for the Steelers organization going forward

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Forget about the pick. Why did everyone in the world know who we wanted days before the draft. This is the reason we didn’t get to draft Revis Hall of Fame CB. The jets traded in front of us because they knew they had to. Our front office has too many leaks. This should probably be it’s on thread

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'll take that bet. Hell, go back in time and get Redman in his prime and you'll lose that bet.

I really don't know what you are looking at in your evaluation of Harris. Of course, having ridiculous talent around him was a big part of his production, but actually watch those runs. He's explosive in tight quarters and he has great vision, something the Steelers really haven't had in a back since Bell left.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that, but this is also about building for what comes after Roethlisberger. Yes, they need to fix the running game now, but that is going to be an even bigger issue when they turn this thing over to Rudolph or some guy not currently on the roster.

22. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Because The Steelers have one of the larger pools of fans that are actually football minded, many coming from Pennsylvania and Ohio, that are more likely to accurately key in on who the Steelers want through open source research and the sheer number of us doing that research. But which would you prefer? Years where we knew we wanted Devin Bush and Najee and got them or years with Terrell Edmunds and Artie Burns where the smokescreens you want the FO to deploy did work.

23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m very happy with the pick. I do not understand the complainers. It is rare for us to get a chance to pick the first and best at any position.

RB is still a high value position for the offense. Instant return on investment too unlike some other positions.

Anybody want to argue our offense was better off without a high quality RB (remember Bell)?

Bottom line: The output of the offense is instantly improved by just this one player. Only how much can be debated.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    You are implying that GMs are trading up in the draft based on what the Steelers fan base is saying? I don’t believe that for a second. I do believe our organization talks to much and leaks out important information. I believe Burns happened because they panicked after the Bengals took their guy (again front office leaked too much information that year).

25. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I'm getting flashbacks of the Bell vs Eddy Lacy debate.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1