1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Thread - NO SPOILERS

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    SO ... we finally got a big back who can beat off defenders!!! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My WANT list for #55 based on who is left

Dickerson
    Jenkins
    Creed
    Radunz
    Meinerz

Darkhorse to watch...Forsythe... Steelers love those Gator OL

HACK

3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I’d be thrilled if creed, radunz, or Dickerson were available at 55, Hack. Would make this draft a big win after just two picks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    If he can single-handedly convert a couple of 3rd and 1 situations, this pick will be worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Oweh will not be an impact player in the next couple of years. He's a project. They drafted him based on his workout numbers. He has zero sacks last year. Not impressed with this pick

6. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    not to be contentious but these grades mean nothing. They looked at what they perceived to be the steelers biggest needs and decided that steelers missed. I'm not so sure. I didn't like the pick very much but this is a high quality back that played at a major level in college. Perhaps the Steelers think more of their offensive potential with Harris as the starting running back. He's a quality human being as well. I think they picked the best guy available at that spot. Not trying to pick a fight with you at all

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    could you explain to me what you meant by his ceiling being bigger than Dupree's ever was yet lower as well?

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    That grade has nothing to do with "perceiving the Steelers biggest need" and they missed. Anyone with an ounce of brains knows our biggest need was running back. We couldn't go into the season with Snell as our main back.
    This grade is strictly the "you don't draft a running back in the first round" grade. If we get our center and tackle today, and Najee is rookie of the year with 1400 yds rushing, they'll be patting themselves on the back talking about how they knew all along the Steelers were going to take him.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I put my grade above others, and true they don't mean much ultimately.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I like Najee Harris. When you look back at the games from last year, the issue was primarily offensive line not the RB position though.

Okorafor, Finney, and Banner starting on the oline is very suspect to an offensive line that was one of the worst on run blocking last year. Who knows maybe things will change with a new offensive coordinator.

We'll see how things unfold today. Here's to hoping they pick up some players that can challenge for starting positions at OT and center.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    229-224-231. nice size RB stable. i for one think we will be better on the line even with who we have now as opposed to last year. i think we will run the ball better. it can't get much worse either way.

we have brought in cowerd and collins < which is a guy that will play the hawkins spot as the second TE type player. thats what he did. cowerd can run block as well. the big question is dotson and DD. does DeCastro have enough left in the tank to revive his pedestrian last two years. can dotson win the guard spot or will cowerd or haeg step in.

finney can run block, or could when here before. does he have it still?

banner is a wild card until we see how his knee responds. he's one big man that can get push but as i said previously collins will be set as the second TE over there to help out. those are two huge guys. it also kind of tips our hand.

lastly is chuks. he did well but was not an overpowering force from the right side. people only noticed when he missed a block. AV was never a stud run blocker and he was more a guy to help in pass protection with his length. they valued that over run blocking with ben at the helm. chuks can pass protect. now, will collins be moved over there at times to help? quite possibly. overall we have some tackle and guard options here already. i can see center as one of our biggest needs to keep the rush out of bens face. the rush was in mason and ducks face as well way too many times the prior year. that was one of pouncey's downfalls. i'd look to that position in round 2-3. LT would be the other option in 2-3 or at least by round 4. there are still that many guys available in this deep draft at tackle. this is already a quite different offensive line then it was a year ago. keep the rush out of bens face and the added RB and the small but suttle additions we have made to the line already and we should see quite different results that many are overlooking. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Sure!!

Jayson Oweh's potential in terms of his possible performance has no limits whereas even Dupree was seemingly limitless. Oweh's potential stems from his athletic gifts..... like Dupree bit much greater. That said, this also greatly increases his floor as he has shown to be overly reliant on it to win his matchups.

If anything, Jayson Oweh is the best of Bud Dupree mixed with the worst of Jarvis Jones. That sounds crazy but his matchups in 2020 and even in 2019 were schematically designed to help him win those matchups. Those matchups showcase do not showcase any major form of pass rushing skills or abilities with little to no counters to go with it.

Contrary to popular belief, Bud Dupree did have a go to... but a very unrefined one in the cross chop. The biggest problem at the time for him was his inability to convert speed to power. He soon learned how to. Should Oweh learn as well.... he is on to something... but there is another problem I have with the selection.

Oweh never stood up at Penn State.... ever. He is a base 4-3 end only. Dupree's transition happened in college. How long will it take Oweh to do so?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Would love any of these guys in the 2nd, except Dickerson. I just don't trust the injury history. I think Forsythe can be had in the 3rd or 4th...possibly.

I think I read something last night that Jenkins dropped out of the 1st because Gm's didnt think he interviewed well.

14. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    ]]

Thanks!

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Most of the low grades on the pick are from guys who simply don't like teams taking a running back in the first round. I don't know how anyone can look at the Steelers and not think that position is a huge need.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I think our running back room was probably the worst in the NFL or close to it. I agree. I'm not a big fan of running back in the first round either and I think I went a little hard on saying that before the draft but in retrospect I think this was a good pick

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the confusion is the way you worded the original post. It sounded like you were writing that Oweh's ceiling was both higher and lower than Duprees. What you meant to write what that his ceiling is higher, but his floor is lower.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Just watch runs that demonstrate Harris's vision. Then watch Conner, Snell, and McFarland make bad cut after bad cut. Of course, it still won't help him when defenders are shoving Okorafor into the backfield, but he won't miss as many opportunities as their backs did last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Or C. Farley.
    Just about any chance of getting a honest CB is out of the Question now.
    Only 1 , maybe 2 left worth Drafting .
    They will not be there by our next pick.
    I can't believe we are going into this year with Haden (who I Love) getting old , and everyone else virtually unproven at the CB position, without a backup plan.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was shocked to see Stokes go in rd one, I like him but so glad the Steelers didn’t do that.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    My big fear for round 1 was that Harris would be gone, and the Steelers would reach for Dickerson or Jenkins.

This is a great list, but if for reasons unknown a couple people keep falling (JOK, Friermuth, Samuels) I'd have to take a long hard look at it. That being said, I will be happy with any of the five you've listed.

22. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Melanfonwu
    Samuels Jr
    Joseph
    Mouldin
    Campbell
    Rochelle
    Adebo
    Williams
    Ambry Thomas
    Wade
    Williams

Yup, no more good cornerbacks in the draft. Might as well pack up and go home.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think JOK is still there because he is a Safety playing LB

If he makes it to 55.... that means probably a run on OL occured... it would be interesting to see what they would do with JOK

HACK

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s pouting because he spent months telling us they would draft a CB in round 1 and he’s not getting to gloat about it :lolol:

Just messing with you, STD :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a lot more then that list as well. :cool: