1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers to extend Rudolph for 1 year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Welp, guess that answers whether they’d take a QB this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    LET THE TOMLIN BASHING COMMENCE!!

(You know, because this doesn't have much to do with him. But it's still his fault)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I guess they had to do that since Teddy Bridgewater is now off the table!

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I wouldn’t be certain of that. But someone would have to slip pretty far. And would have to think it would only be at 24, not a later round.

5. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Fixed

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You could be right, I may have fired off that response too fast. I would just think that if they do draft someone, you want them as your number two so they get the work, plus they have Haskins whom Tomlin seems to like.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    There's usually a reason someone slips far in the draft. And that reason is rarely a good one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    YES!!!

So worried he gets the start midway through the season and then holds us hostage as he negotiates with 5 other teams.

Someone needs to do an Over / Under on how many starts Mason gets this year. I say over 4, but under 8.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Over 1, but under 17. I win.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Strongly disagree @Blast Furnace.

If by some miracle that Justin Fields is within striking distance, not only would I trade up to get him but I would use Mason as the bridge for him. Let Fields sit so that he can absorb all that he can.

When he is ready, play Fields and do not look back. Again, should this be the case. If not, have Mason be the bridge for whomever "the guy" is come 2022.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Unless Ben gets hurt I don't see any starts. And the directive probably comes from the owner's box down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This is actually a good move, they will have invested 4 years so give him an opportunity. I have doubts he or Haskins are long term, but if he works out let them fight it out in 2022 camp.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    This isn't very shocking.

Steelers is probaly it for Ben this upcoming season. Unless he shows a lot.

Come next year you would have Rudolph being a URFA
    Haskins would also be a RFA coming off a one year deal

There isn't depth there. Even if you draft a guy in 2022 draft, you probably aren't sending him out the gate, and you would need Rudolph

I don't think Mason is ever going to be that guy for us, maybe I'm wrong, just don't see the IT factor in him.

Can he be a back up QB, keep the boat afloat for 3-4 strech for injury keep you competitive, yes he can.

Is he going to lead you ever close to putting a trophy in the air, probably not.

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think this is exactly it. I think the Steelers realize that in order to keep Ben in good health, they are going to have to prohibit him playing through injuries. I think Mason is going to play some this year.

If Mason goes out and looks like he may be the quarterback of the future, the Steelers do not want to be in a bidding war to keep him going into 2022.

Very typical Steeler move. I don't think the Steelers were ever in play to draft a QB anyhow.

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Why again did they sign Dobbs?

16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I was told in another thread that Tomlin had no confidence in him. Either that's wrong, or he isn't involved in the decision making here.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    FMTI AND FGMKCI AS WELL!

that should about cover it lol

18. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Steelers gonna draft a QB, and run a 5 QB formation ( Ben, Mason, Haskins, Dobbs and Fields). If Steelers don't even know or understand what they are running, how could defenses? Checkmate.

19. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Might as well not draft this year. Mason Noodle Arm is locked up for another year

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Good move, depending on the details of course. You don’t want to go in to the 2022 draft desperately needing a QB, we’ve no idea where they will be picking at this stage.

I don’t think Mason is a long term answer but this is a sensible move with Ben likely going in to his last year. Mason should be good enough as a bridge for a year if they draft somebody that needs time to develop.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Here's an idea; trade Ben and 2 first rounders and a 3rd for Rodgers, who is not happy with Green Bay. Ben gaps the team 1 more year for Jordan Love, Steelers have cap room next year to get Rodgers an extension.

22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    IMO is was simply an insurance move. They usually have 4 qbs in camp anyway. They really have no idea what they have in Haskins, if he shows nothing (especially in maturity) then they cut him and have a cheap guy at 3, who is not going to make any waves. If Haskins shows enough, they cut him with no real investment and likely have him on speed dial if someone goes down.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    real bright..and where do they get the 20 million for his cap hit this year. Then in a couple of years with a roster depletion with no top talent, you are on the hook for a big cap hit like they had this year with Ben...just stop the insanity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Connect the dots man! Rodgers wanted to host Jeopardy, with this deal, he could be the new host of Mr. Ro(d)gers Neighborhood! It's all there man! Open your 3rd eye, man!!!! Won't you be, would you please be, could you be my wide-out...

25. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Well then, if we can arrange the contract for a Jeopardy deal then I might just change my opinion. I thought he has some special diet though, so no Primanti Brothers endorsement deal may nullify the whole deal..unless they can comeup with a VegitAaron Burger.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1