1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lions have released Jesse James

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I'd bring him back if the money is right. He was solid on the field and in the locker room. The more men who don't like drama you can fill your roster with, the better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There was never any real chance of him being a Steeler.

3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If they wait, there might be better option(s) out there. Hell, they could cut Ebron AFAIC, but they think they are contenders, so that won't happen.

4. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jesse James was actually reliable when called upon. I don't think we used to him to the best of his ability since we had AB at the top of his game and JuJu was having a break out year. I would bring him back. I think he has a huge upside. He didn't bad mouth anyone on the team. It was only the drama that was created by the locker room cancers of AB and Bell.

5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still do not understand why he has not signed with the Steelers.

Does this have anything to do with the Comp Pick formula; Like how AL is having to wait to sign with Baltimore?

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Why would we want him back?

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The fans bad mouth the Steelers and yet they continue to sell them tickets.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We pay in one way or the other 2 watch them. He doesn't pay the Steelers 2 play him.
    Did that make any sense. LoL
    At least better than it did 2 me.
    I'd take him back for a lower price, but who knows what the team thinks.
    I trust in the process.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they are just waiting to see if they can get one in the draft but maybe you have something there with the comp formula.

James was a good TE for us, would be happy if they bring him back.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I don`t remember James being that good, but some here think so.

Maybe we get a TE in this draft (I hope).

Edit: I just realized this thread is a month and a half old. James still looking for a job?

11. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Per nfl.com, JJ is still a free agent. They still need a reliable TE, seems like he could be that for the right price. Not many options out there or in the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    AV is a straight free agent, his contract ended. JJ was released before the end of his contract, so he doesnt count in the comp picks.

13. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jesse James didn't bad mouth the Steelers, he only spoke the truth about the drama on the team comparing it to the Kardashians. He was referring to Ben, Antonio, and Le'Veon. He wasn't wrong. He also stated in that same interview Pittsburgh was a hard place to leave. He wasn't running away, but glad to get away from the drama. It goes to show that a few egos on the team can ruin team chemistry and potentially make players happy to get away. I think last year we were in a much better place and had much better team chemistry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I could see them signing him for dirt cheap. He's not a difference maker IMHO, but he's reliable. Better hands than Ebron but that bar isn't real high.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He is also a better blocker than Ebron, but that is an even lower bar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Because you have to have someone behind Ebron. James would be a huge improvement over Gentry/Rader.

Also you need someone to push Ebron in case he goes back to dropping everything thrown his direction.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Safe to assume the Steelers are seeing how the draft plays out before resigning JJ. Likely the same story with AV. Backup plans in case guys we like are off the board when we pick.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    James isn't pushing Ebron. We'll get a TE in the draft.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I'm always going to want character guys that can play over superstar jerks. Outlaw is a good character guy. He can play. He proved that. I'd love to have him back.

You know what you are getting with him. You don't know what you're getting with anyone in the draft. Too many high draft picks don't pan out. It's a crap shoot. So bringing back James satisfies a need, is already proven, and can come fairly cheap. Honestly, he's a safer bet than any TE we can grab in the draft. He might not be as sexy of a choice as others, but he also frees up a spot on our board to fill other positions of need. This is a no brainer, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Only way I want them to draft a #2 TE to start is if he played at Iowa and has the nickname The Bulldozer. Otherwise go get Jesse since at least he knows how to block.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Didn’t JJ compare the Steelers to the Kardashians? Well, now that Kim is in Tampa Bay and Khloe is out looking for work, the collective team PMS level is no longer off the scale. Yep, I’d like to see JJ come back. I hate seeing an extra tackle out there at TE on running plays, though I’d like to see numbers on how well that actually works.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Probably waiting post-draft. The Lions signed him and then immediately drafted Hockenson. If the Steelers draft Tremble or Freiermuth, I doubt he'd want to repeat that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I just don't see them using no 55 on either of them based on the needs and they are projected to be gone by 87. Maybe if one of them drops to 87, or they somehow get another pick with a trade down?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What am I missing in Zack Gentry's game to justify why the Steelers are not asking Jesse James to come in and compete for that #3 Tight End position?

Special Teams ability? Or, is it Jesse who is holding out waiting for an opportunity to be a Starter and not buried on the depth chart?