1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Felix Jones vs. Rashard Mendenhall

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Apr 17, 2021.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Will the Steelers get it right again ... Harris vs Etienne?!

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We ended up with both.
    This time around I don't think we end up with either, but of course, I could be wrong. Unless they drop that far down in the 2nd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I forgot all about Felix Jones. LOL. Not much worth remembering.

• Like Like x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He was alright.
    Remember though.
    I'm a Razorbacks fan.:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Those are decent boxing names. For a quick second that's what I thought it was.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Both were crap. I'm sorry but a 1st round rb who had 4200 yards total for his career is a bust to me.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Mendenhall had his moments. He probably did just enough to not be considered a bust. The Super Bowl fumble alone puts him in NOD territory.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    UGH. I hate that I even brought that up. I am still convinced that we win that game if not for that play. All the momentum belonged to the Steelers up until that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Great post. People talk about Mac Jones and Justin Fields being products of their supporting casts, why don't they view Harris and Etienne with the same lens?

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The reason people do not place Etienne or Harris within the same scope as Mac Jones or Justin Fields stems from the fact that those two have to acquire explosive net plays through multiple means as opposed toward just a handful. For Etienne, he is second only to Kyle Pitts in terms of Offensive Weapon Capability. Use him in just about whatever fashion one would want; slot receiver and potentially outside receiver not withstanding.

Najee Harris has a different set of methods that make him special; instincts. After Harris, there is not a more instinctive runner in the class or rather; possess the same special type of instincts Harris does. Najee is a ture sense of the term "Thinking Man's Back"; acting and reacting based on in play events without having him to think much; if at all in some cases. Add his complete game of not just pass catching but being one of the best pass protection blockers among all running backs and it is not hard to see why the Steelers have fallen for him.

Mac Jones and Justin Fields have more questions than answers namely due to their lack of starting experience/and or lack of something else. For Jones; his arm strength and arm talent, while serviceable, is not going to fit well in an Air Raid or some other Vertical Style Passing Attack type of Offense; schematic limitation being his major flaw. For Fields, he has another set of issues all together; pocket presence and pocket poise. He needs a major overhaul for both as his early decision making to leave the pocket earlier than he should will get him in far more danger at the next level than before. This is also not including his pre snap recognition and processing abilities either; another set of problems.

Overall, comparing the two of the top five QBs to the top two RBs is not an ideal comparison namely due to the position itself. Quarterbacks are far more difficult to grade due to a myriad of factors, many of which are not transparent. Intangibles such as leadership, accuracy, instincts and play making ability are just but a handful of factors as to why the position is so darn difficult to nail in the draft..

On the other hand, Running Backs are among the more simple grades to hand out as their abilities are far more transparent and clear to grade. Those that stand out consistently make grading them even more simple; Christian McCaffrey, SaQuon Barkely, Travis Etienne and Najee Harris all being either prime examples to great ones. There are other factors to like how well the Offensive Lineman are, the QB themselves, etc. but the major aspect to remember when grading a player is examining the player first and foremost. Once that has been assessed, apply other possible aspects to his game that could be detrimental in the NFL. Continue on from there, find some more positives and negatives and then give that player a score. This is essentially how the NFL Draft has worked for some time now.

In short?! Pinpointing a great Running Back is a lot different than pinpointing a great Quarterback.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    RBs transition to the NFL faster, no doubt, but I don't see either of those guys with the same league as Barkley and McCaffery, neither of whom have elevated their teams, the other argument against a first round back.

Also, for every can't miss prospect, there's a Leonard Fournette or Sony Michel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Barry Sanders would have been a bust in an offense with a porous OL and a commitment to an aging QB throwing 50+ times a game.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I always put that fumble more on the TE Johnson then Mendy. He completely whiffed on the block and then was oblivious to the fumble.

Matthews put his shoulder right in there, Mendy didn’t have much of a chance with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So, this brings up another subject. Is Ben better, with a bonefide rb and go to wr? He always had them his whole time with the steelers until last season. Is this the question, that we should be asking?

15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    You're kinder than me. :lolol:

A lot of people put NODs Int on Corey Holliday as well.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s all there on film ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He should still have held onto it.:smiley1:
    I wouldn't draft a RB thats named started with Rash.
    As in Rashard ,or Rashaan.
    Born fumblers. LoL
    Remember the time Rashard broke down the sideline all by himself, maybe go for a long TD, and just fumbled it.
    Not a soul in sight.
    Nobody touched him.
    We seen that more than once. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Who was the bonafide RB from 2008 -> 2013? He had prime Bettis for 1.5 years, prime Parker for a couple, prime Bell for 3.5. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I would have liked him to, believe me!

I would have liked Johnson to pick up either one of those blocks, too. Mendy had text book form, both hands on the ball, got sandwiched. Little help from his teammate would have been nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Mendy was ... and he was a bonefide rb for us. Not like the one's that we have now. I would go even further... we don't have a #1 receiver on the team as we speak

21. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Great stuff AQL. The Running Back production life cycle in many cases seems to plateau and then decline rapidly but you have these outer layers of backs that never seemed to hit the wall.

Maybe its poor perception on my part to see it this way.

Marcus Allen and Walter Payton appeared to play at a high level and never really lost a step or became injury prone.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Rashard Spinthenfall

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I had 2 comeback and say I'm still laughing at that name.:roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  24. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Mendy was an average, meh RB. DJ is our #1 WR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If
    Lol ... smh