1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft Day Question

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    My fellow Steeler fans, With the Draft fast approaching ( my favorite, and so pumped ) I have a question/ scenario...

I would love for this scenario to happen...It comes to pick #24, and the the Steelers trade back, let's say to number #30...

At pick #30, They take RB Etienne...Now ( again for arguments sake, because I want him ) They have Creed Humphrey ranked at #33 on their board...Do they trade up if he's still there at #34...How about #40? #45? #50?

I guess the question I have is...Is there a " written " formula to go get your Guy ( which would be #33 according to the Steelers board ) Or, Like I said..Do you roll the dice based on " what you think " most other Franchises have him ranked...And try to wait and get him 5, 10, 20 spots later?

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Interesting scenario. With the depth in certain positions and the needs on the team I really do not like giving picks up, unless it is a guy you really like. With this mindset I also am not against trading out of the first round and losing the 5th year option if the right deal is made (say getting a high 2nd and mid to low 3rd). I tend to look at years of service, if you lose 1 year of service on one man, but can gain 3 years of service between 2 picks (8 to 5)..then the depth for your team in creases greatly. In your plan or mine I would rather take the picks and build depth, however if that one player is there and you feel the need to move up and you can trade a lower 4th to get there, then you still gain position overall. I know my explanation is clear as mud, but bottom line I would rather have more quality picks in the top 120, than chasing someone and losing out on other potential future starters.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The only thing about losing that 5th year option is all your top picks come due at once. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Trading back definitely sounds like an idea to entertain. That said, I am finding it difficult to envision a scenario in which the Steelers trade back unless all options are exhausted by that point. In which case, I doubt the Steelers trade that 24th pick unless there is some good compensation for that other team. However, that is not the most important factor here.

Which team is willing to purpose such a trade?! Have to find that trading partner first. Given all I have read, it does not appear that many teams would want to trade with Pittsburgh who either would want another First or do not have one. That said, leading up to the draft, that can change.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I wish I was a fly in that war room but I was always led to believe that the Steelers have their script but are open to Best Player Available vs a need at a specific position. Interesting thought though about trading back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think if we are truly in rebuild mode we would want more draft picks. are we at that stage? yes we are. we have done just enough to make a run with our franchise qb another year. no not loaded up but not totally gutted either. most of the guys we lost needed to go. except for bud, nelson, maybe feiler and williamson. we have added some o-linemen and if nothing else some depth that has some experience. we have some experience at RB, WR, D-line, DB's, LB (for the most part), ST's is still solid, QB isn't actually too bad. we are not going to transform this team with 8 rookies from this draft. it's a build start for the next 3 years most likely. pieces of the puzzle. this draft is deep enough with talent that these first 5 picks 1,2,3,4,4 will have to make an impact. 6,7,7 may be used to move back into the 5th where there is still quality in this draft. if we get 6 players that by next year can man some spots we will be in good shape. if we get at least 3 next year to contribute we will be well on our way. we still have some pretty good ones from last year as well. we also have some of these one year guys that could surprise and we could keep around pretty easily. the ones that don't perform will be down the road without hurting us. we can't fill every spot in this one draft for this year and next. fill what we can and trust the process. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2