1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Apr 20, 2021.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    That...plus it's clear as day upper management and coaches have no faith in Rudolph. I mean its blatantly obvious or Roethlisberger would be gone. Look how many QBs they've invited to camp.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would. I think Rudolph is not as bad as others think. I've a cousin who has disagreed with this, but it's MO. I would clearly like 2 see him resign, so when Ben retired he could get his shot. I've studied him compared 2 the QBs coming out in the Draft, and I only think 2 of them are better. Even on that I'm not sure , because I've only their College tapes 2 judge them on. Where's I've broke down Rudolph's Pro and college film. If people go back Rudolph did pretty well for getting thrown in the Fire, before he got Illegally head shot ,and knocked out. Matter of fact he looked way better than L. Jackson in that game.

3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Results bias. O'Donnell was the 70th player drafted, Rudolph was 76th. They're stylistically very similar. Cowher was able to build an offense that worked, Tomlin was not. JFC, they tried the WILDCAT against the worst team in the league they were so desperate.

They were 8-5 solely because of a defense that had 9 first round picks on it, then collapsed to lose their last 3 games, all of which they were favored to win.

On the season, they were favored in 8 games and won 8 games.

If that's a great coaching performance, I've got a bridge to see you.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe he thought if anyone could pull it off it would be Ben. Nothing more nothing less.
    No matter what he thinks of Rudolph. Ben's won big games with him.
    I know that's hard 2 forget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't believe that means much. They need camp arms.
    Plus you must do due diligence. You never know who goes down from here 2 the start of the season.
    Let alone during the season.

6. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    So you really believe in a guy who couldnt beat out Duck Hodges for a starting position??? Consistently at least...

7. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    You tell me what you want broken, and I'll be happy to oblige.

And HAS it worked? Yeah, it HAS. But that isn't remotely the point here. Take away the dynasty years and its 4 rings and we're hardly on par with the rest of the league in terms of championships. So sticking with the formula of the past 4+ decades doesn't, and shouldn't, instill much optimism. We don't have a formula for the Pat's level of success. We were looking up at their success for the better part of Tomlin's career here.

You're living in the past and trying to pull it into the present if you think this organization is currently anything other than a second-tier team with confused ownership and a social experiment at head coach.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My friend. He did beat out Duck . That's why he started when Ben went down. Rudolph got knocked out.
    I've been knocked out in the ring. It sometimes does strange things 2 you for awhile.
    Also I more than likely was not hit with the same force he took on that shot.
    Go back and watch it.
    I believe.
    1. It took him awhile 2 get over that shot Physically

2. It took him awhile 2 get over that shot mentally.
    He was kind of skittish after that, but when he came in last year he was clearly over it.
    Remember in College that shot would have seen that player ejected, all they got was a penalty, and a less Qb come in.
    Was win win 4 the Ravens

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Well...I wont complain for sure if he ultimately becomes a world beater. I dont care how they get it done, or who with, as long as they get it done. It would be nice not to have to worry about drafting at a position that can set you back for several years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Totally agree :thumbs_up:

11. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I actually made only a few assumptions. Almost all of what I said was factual or either posed as questions.

You aren't actually trying to say that ANYONE in the public eye is free from racial scrutiny right now, are you?

And I never said anything about us never hiring another white coach. The reference was specifically about replacing Tomlin with a white coach.

Lastly, the Steelers didn't satisfy the Rooney Rule with their interview of Tomlin. They had brought in, and interviewed, Ron Rivera before Tomlin. Rivera's interview satisfied the rule, not Tomlin. But hiring Tomlin satisfied the ideology and intention behind the rule.

If you want to champion minority hirings, and the very rule that brings them to the interview has your name on it, it stands to reason that you want your labors to bear fruit. What better way to highlight the effectiveness of your own rule than to keep a black head coach employed for a long period of time? And what worse way to show you stand behind minority head coaches than to fire one with less tenure than the previous two white coaches.

Think about that. It's the Steelers. We keep our head coaches longer than any other team. How can Rooney get rid of the black head coach before he meets or surpasses the tenure of the previous two? He can't. And he didn't.

...but he should have...

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re seriously using draft status to make an argument? If you think that matters buy your own bridge.

Tomlin isn’t the OC, Fichtner was and you just argued against yourself, Rudolph was so bad they didn’t trust him and used the wildcat.

So, Tomlin all the blame when they lose and no accolades when they win, got it.

13. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Glenn, I am coming to feel that we're rarely going to agree on issues. But I accept and appreciate what you just said. :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    You're entitled to your opinions. But race is playing a part in every facet of society right now. The NFL is dripping with racial tensions. To say otherwise is folly.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Sorry, but that's one of the dumbest things I have read on here in a long long time. The Steelers kept MT because A) He has never had a losing record with the Steelers and B) There aren't very many other candidates out there right now to replace him with that would be an upgrade.

I'm not a big fan of MT by any stretch of the imagination but if he were to consistently have only 4 or 5 win seasons he would have been gone many years ago.

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Very true, but to think Tomlin’s contract was in any way related is even more folly.

(I had to go look the word up :huh:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Then the only other thing you can judge them on is performance.

Cowher's non-Ben QBs did much better than Tomlin's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Cowher's non-Ben QBs were designated starters. Teams were built around them.
    Tomlin's non-Ben QBs were/are backups. Teams were still built around Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Cowher building around a qb? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re first response to me said result bias and now you are saying to go off of performance. Going off performance and just watching film, N.O. is a much better QB than Rudolph is, it’s no comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t know how you came up with that, I’m disagreeing with you that this is about race.

If you don’t replace Tomlin with a white coach, what are you replacing him with, a pink one? Joking aside, what are you suggesting? How are they getting back to a white coach? Go through some ruse and hire a Hispanic and then eventually get back to a white one just to avoid replacing a black coach with a white coach. That’s so silly sounding I had trouble typing it.

So they satisfied the rule twice before hiring Tomlin, went above and beyond and then kept him for 14 years. The ruled filled it’s purpose, tenure has nothing to do with the rule and no one would bat an eye if they let him go. What will you say if they keep him after this contract which will make him the longest tenured?

22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    O'Donnell was a Noll player, so I'm taking him out as well.

When you say they did "much better", you might be overlooking 1998 (7-9), 1999 (6-10), and 2003 (6-10).

• Like Like x 1
  23. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks for the compliment.
    Did you see the defense stop opponents second half of the season last year? Do you think there aren't any questions with the running game? If so, you failed miserably to understand my points. Before the draft in 2004, the outlook wasn’t very high. As it turned out, Cowher coached 3 more years. As we are right now, there are many questions regarding the future of the Steelers. Tomlin now has 3 years remaining. How will they turn out? Time will tell. Maybe history will repeat.

24. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Right. People forget that before Earl Thomas damaged his brian stem so bad he passed out in the fencer’s pose (basically - really not good) Mason Rudolph looked like a pretty confident gamesman, the TD to Vance vs Seattle stands out in particular.

After that hit, he was extremely nervous in the pocket. You didn’t see that vs Cleveland this year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Cowher only coached three more years because he didn't want to coach anymore after those three years. There's no indication that Tomlin is getting tired of coaching, that he's tired of Steelers fans, or being in the public eye all of which are actual reasons Cowher walked away...not for any of the reasons you mentioned, but nice try.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021