1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    English, please.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That's a cop out. Yes the players need to perform better. But as a Head Coach you are responsible for the performance your team puts on the field, period.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Let's see............11-0.....then........lose to the Clowns two weeks in a row! One a first round playoff game in YOUR own house? = FIRED!!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't simply fault the HC for everything that goes wrong. Just like I don't fault the owner or the president of operations for everything that goes wrong. Some times things happen beyond anyone's control.

My analysis of the game of football tells me that when you turn the ball over you are going to lose the large % of the time regardless of any other factors. The math doesn't lie in that regard.

The individuals that sign Tomlin's check believe he wasn't the main issue. I tend to agree with them looking some of the factors that went into winning and losing last season. Tomlin received an extension based on the fact that the team went 12-4 last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I spelled all this out already, but I'll try one more time. And I'm spouting off my opinion here. I'm not expecting to change your mind.

"Minority Candidates" are primarily black.

The Rooney Rule is named that for a reason. It is rooted in the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Mike Tomlin is a "Minority Candidate" who became the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers as a result of the Rooney Rule.

(I understand that he wasn't the first minority interview, and as a result, the Steelers had actually already satisfied the rule. So technically, he didn't get hired because of the rule. But for all intents and purposes, he benefitted from the Rule.)

If he were to be let go/fired/replaced/abducted by aliens, it would still be the Steelers/Rooneys removing a "Minority Candidate" from his position. If the organization responsible for the Rooney Rule removes a black head coach, especially one with his impeccable record, what does that say for the organization that championed giving minorities a chance? It doesn't look good. It doesn't seem right. No way to spin it positively when the organization that holds on to head coaches longer than any other team is letting such a wonderful coach go.

And then...what if they hire a white coach to replace him? How many minority candidates would they have to interview before they can "socially" declare a white head coach? They can't.

What would it say for the Rooney Rule and its effectiveness if the Steelers hire a white head coach? Sorry, but there's no way they hire a white coach to replace the black one. And it makes no difference if the 10 very best candidates are white. They simply can't hire one of them.

And you can't say that isn't political. You just can't.

As far as Dan Rooney being deceased, what does that change about the political ties the organization has? The fact that the owner of the organization was granted a political position makes the organization political at face value. But believe me when I say that not a single owner of any professional sports franchise isn't political in some respect. When you have that level of money and influence, politics are involved. No way around that.

And lastly, Rooney's impression of Tomlin is deeply rooted in ideology. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but that it just is. The organization that champions minority candidates isn't doing that because they lost a bet. It's an ideology. And the "gushing," IMHO, is more because of who Tomlin is and the color of his skin than it is due to his accomplishments. Honestly, I think Tomlin gets a pass because he's black.

Could I be wrong in all of this? Certainly. But it's how I think and what I believe.

And before the insinuations commence, I would be just as critical of our head coach if he were white or blue or green.

I don't care what color you are. Make this team better.

Curmudgeon, out.

6. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin would be fired like any other coach if he didn't help this organization remain competitive and win. It's really that simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Explaining away poor results is apologist behavior. Once or twice? Alright, I'm ok with it. But after 14 years of the same results of playing down to the competition, not seeming to be prepared, lack of adjustments during games, underachieving with the talent level on the field, going through coordinators and position coaches like underwear, choking and getting embarrassed in the playoffs (if he even makes it there), sh!tty clock & game management, and just generally coming across like a fart in a whirlwind. Well, no more apologies. He has had way more than enough chances to show something different but the standard is the standard. And the MT standard is mediocrity. Rooney is obviously ok with it too.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    They need to start wining some games and they can no lose any more games .... :goofy: -pimply dan

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Agree to disagree on two counts. Disagree that he would be fired like any other coach, because of who he is employed by. That is pretty simple. And disagree that he helps this organization remain competitive and win. I guess we just have different definitions for "remain competitive and win."

The Steelers' goal used to be championships. Tomlin and the organization have abandoned that. Now, remaining competitive and winning only applies to the regular season. That is what Rooney sees as important. Why else would he extend a coach who can't win in December?

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Again I wanted Tomlin gone a couple years ago. it’s not happening at least not for a while. Am I happy about it? No, but what can I do about it? There’s certain people here that can’t make a post without somehow making it about how bad Tomlin sucks. Heck most the time I agree with what they’re saying, but just get sick and tired of every thread getting derailed with the negative Tomlin crap.

as far as having some deep rooted problem. Yeah maybe, but I’m OK with that. I sleep fine at night.

• Like Like x 2
  12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Gimme an effin break.

The Steelers' goal is still to win championships. Now you can argue that their methods aren't working, but that's their goal and every other teams' goal.

As for why they would extend Tomlin, it's pretty simple. The Steelers and Pats have won more SB's than any other franchise. The Steelers have a formula for that level of success. You can again argue that it's no longer working or that it needs to be changed, in fact I'll argue that, but you can't argue that it hasn't worked, because it has. Demonstrably so. They're going to stick to that formula.

To say the goal is no longer to win SB's or that the organization doesn't care about that is complete BS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

You’re making a lot of assumptions here and connections that simply aren’t there.

The Steelers have employed Tomlin for 14 years but have two worry about the optics of firing a coach they kept for 14 years? Come on, man.

Also, you don’t think the Steelers will never have a white coach again, do you?

Steelers already satisfied the Rooney rule when they interviewed Tomlin, then exceeded it by hiring him and keeping him for 14 years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I addressed that part too...you should have read further clown. What...you only pick out the parts you wanna see so you can feel good about your baseless arguments??

15. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The logic, if it can be called that, of Seven's arguments are ridiculous.

As you rightly mention, BF, no one is going to criticize the Steelers for firing a coach, any coach, after 14 years. And as I previously pointed out black coaches have been getting fired left and right throughout the NFL the last several years and there's hardly been a peep. Throw on top the Steelers history over the last half-century with HC's and their actions here are totally consistent.

Why would anyone want to think race plays a role here when there's nothing to say it does and plenty to say it doesn't?

(I'll leave my speculations private.)

16. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You said specifically there's no accountability....is that not what you said or do I need to remind you?? Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert, Kyle Murray, Lamar Jackson, Gardner Minshew, Russell Wilson, Joe Burrow, Tom Brady...those are just qbs...I didnt even bother to mention linemen and the other skill position players. I just wanted to give you a list of names of players young and old regardless of what rd they were picked who came in and were pretty effective within the first year or second year of play with or without a training camp so you can shut up with your excuses and create one more notch to try and hold Tomlin accountable for rather than the player.

I get the fact that they are young players, but did anyone seriously get the impression that either qb was even pro level??....I'm not talking starter...not solid backup...I'm talkin about should you even be in the league?? There should have been some gradual improvement among both even if it was minimal and I dont know if anyone could tell me from gm 3 - game 16 if they saw anything that looked the least bit promising out of either.

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    No.... YOU started it and picked out your parts! Shut up *******

18. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    You like to name call huh tough guy

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    How did I pick out my parts if I addressed it you moron??? Either you're illiterate or lack comprehension skills...which is it??

20. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Steel Real likes to tell people to shut up, and calls them Clowns...#Keyboardwarrior

21. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020

So if they had a first rd grade on Rudolph (which I would have to see Tomlins grade on him to believe it) just know he wasnt the sole evaluator of talent. You also had Colbert, the scouting coaches, and the positions coach and OC. How does blame fall solely on Tomlin??? If they had a first rd grade on Rudolph and he failed to perform like a 1st or even third rd pick then hes just a bust. Busts happen all the time with draft picks. Doesnt mean someone is a bad coach especially when he at the very least breaks even with the level of talent he was stuck with. Let's just keep it real...we can all see that mason Rudolph is not even 3rd rd talent much less first so why even bring that up??

22. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I said what I said...just be thankful that I took the time to respond to someone who doesn't even realize when hes replying to himself.

23. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    So did I... Clown

24. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Whatever floats your boat Shirley. Did you delete your post to yourself yet or do you need help??

25. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    It's his money. Why you worried about it? especially as long as Tomlin is gone. Does it count against the cap or something??