1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Apr 20, 2021.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Considering your first two points didnt apply to last years team either you're not as observant as you think you are or you failed miserably to make any sense with your post. As a matter of fact only Brady winning the SB is relevant but that applies 7 times over the last 20 years.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  2. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Did the Steelers really have a first rd grade on Rudolph?? What's your source? I seriously have to see this.

3. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You cant blame qb play on them? They're pros regardless of their experience. We know plenty of rookies and 2nd year players that have stood out on the football field and they werent all 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders. If their is no accountability for their own play, which is just a ridiculous stupid statement in itself to make, then who bears the brunt of their bad play?? Make it make sense.

4. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You say that to mean what?? You act like he hasnt had black coaches on his coaching staff period. If you werent a person trying to be smarter than you actually are then the reason for there not being a black DC candidate or an OC candidate is a no brainer. Dick Lebeau was the DC when Tomlin was hired and I'm pretty sure Lebeau was doing pretty good when Tomlin started. Everybody knows Keith Butler was waiting in the wings until either Lebeau retired or moved on.

As far as OC we know that mostly depended on how Roethlisberger felt about the OC more so than Tomlin.....aside from that it's always been rumored the Steelers coaching staff is one of the more underpaid in the NFL..assuming this is true you're probably not going to see anyone relevant consider a downgrade in pay to be the OC here. As of now I only know of 2 men that sense for that position and they already have OC positions with other teams. They are not going to come here and take less money.

5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    " You act like he didn't have black coaches on the staff "...READ!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said he... HASN'T HAD A BLACK OC OR DC...You know, the good jobs!

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Multiple teams had a low 1st round grade on Mason R.
    I don't know where the Steelers had him graded , but I know what round they drafted him in.
    I'm not going 2 look it up for you, but it was talked about numerous times on NFL Network, ESPN, and on a few boards during that year.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

Steelers nation!!!!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Right, Art II extended him, so that he could fire him in a yr or two. If so, why extend him? Let him play it out. Tomlin is guaranteed the money, though. So if Art wants to fire him after next yr, he’ll have to pay two coaches for a while.

10. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Ok I just read all 6 pages and I was NOT disappointed. Beer analogies, Prom analogies, LOL This was everything I thought it would be. Best morning in a LONG time :) I listened to NFL network yesterday afternoon and they were talking about Tomlin. They pointed out all the usual things like no losing record, making the playoffs 9 of 14 years, one superbowl win and one loss. They were right. Some team fan bases would give a lot to have that kind of accomplishment. Problem is the bar is higher here in Steeler land. Cowher only one a single super bowl in all the years he was here yet we never criticize him. No franchise QB? I get it. Maybe he should have been more involved in choosing QBs? I don't know. Tomlin has operated with a HOF QB his entire 14 years here and he only managed one super bowl win. The guys on NFL network mentioned that as well but kind of glossed over that. Talent wise Tomlin has had the better teams no doubt. Yet here we are. He's a decent coach with no ability to get us to another superbowl win. So onward we go! Let's hope he can put it together.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    This! ONE MILLION TIMES!

Ben has put the team into a hole 3 out of the last 4 playoff games! You can't turn the ball over that much and expect to outscore the opponent and have the defense make multiple key stops!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it doesn't mean every player is the same because we have seen a couple do it. neither of those qb's got first team reps through camp or anywhere else before they were thrown to the lions. that was masons year to learn not become the starter. his rookie year he was the 3rd qb so got even less time. name me all these guys that went through that and did so much better. they had a winning record (mason at least did as a starter) why do you think most rookies take some time to get on the field? they are pros. you make it make sense. thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard that every player should excel because they are all pros. there is a process most go through before they excel. they don't just get thrown to the wolves in the middle of the season and become hall of famers. i'd like to see that list before you flap your gums. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Looks like the Rooney rule is more important than winning a super bowl. We have three more years of embarrassing losses to inferior teams, yay.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    THIS! Cowher and Noll authored some fantastic upset wins in postseason. Tomlin's heavy post-season favorites often barely escape, or lately even worse, get their hats handed to them at home.

The ceiling of any Tomlin team is exactly what the talent provides. He's a net drag on the system, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Let's hope Ben and the other players can stop turning the ball over and ultimately perform better in the playoffs.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    May only have to wait until the end of next season.

18. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Successful teams in the playoffs are able to go from 4th gear to a 5th gear in preparation and execution to win. The Steelers, with Tomlin, have demonstrated they no longer have a 5th gear.

19. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    that's a good point. However when this happens again and again some of it has to go back to the coach in getting these guys ready to play. When Pouncy air mailed that snap over Ben's head Ben looked like the ball was poisonous to the touch. I don't believe he even left his feet in trying for the ball. So a lot of that hangs on Ben and Pouncy. Ben throws 4 picks in that cleveland game? It just looked like the team was lethargic to me. Why do these guys continue to under perform in these games? Like i said tomlin is a decent coach. A great one? Well he'll be in the hall of fame after he's done so there's that. He isn't going anywhere and the Steelers in 3 years will be a middle of the road NFL team when Ben is gone.

20. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree totally with you on this personally sad decision to extend a HC past his prime and out of new/any ideas. I believe MT is an anchor being dragged by a power boat full of talent that is able to win except when it really counts. But, recently, we are the AFCN champions with a 12-4 regular season record, and that, apparently, is good enough to get an extension however wrong it feels. Case closed.

• Like Like x 1
  21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    well I don't know anything about a 4th or 5th gear. I do know that when teams turn the ball over the probability of a loss increases. Turnovers were a problem for Tomlin's teams over the years. How does Tomlin keep the players from taking care of the football?

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Pride cometh before a fall. the fall has been going on for several years, how bad does it have to get? 1 playoff game in 4 seasons - and losing to a guy at home w Covid. We really do suck, or shall I say that ROONEY does.

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    In the last playoff game, it would have been nice, if the Defense made one stop before the Clowns were up by 70 points.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I think taking solace in others suffering is a sign of a deep-rooted problem. Maybe the people who are complaining aren't the issue here.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1