1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Etienne or Harris?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by strummerfan, Mar 19, 2021.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I do like Etienne, but his drop off in the run game last year is very concerning.

Also, any negative pointed at Najee Harris was also said about Derrick Henry coming out of Alabama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    5 questionable draft trends the Pittsburgh Steelers must rethink

Only take big running backs early in the draft

I don’t know what is with the infatuation that Pittsburgh has with big running backs. There are plenty of successful NFL teams who don’t seem to follow this at all, yet it’s something that is a must for the Steelers when drafting a running back in the first three rounds.

Le’Veon Bell and James Conner were both at least 230 pounds coming out of college, while Benny Snell and Jaylen Samuels both weighted at least 224 pounds, according to MockDraftable. The only player currently on their roster who doesn’t follow this trend is Anthony McFarland (208 lbs), but he was a day-three pick.

If the Steelers continue to draft like this, then players like Christian McCaffrey (202 lbs), Dalvin Cook (210 lbs), and Alvin Kamara (214 lbs) probably won’t be on their radar, and it likely means that Pittsburgh will not even consider a player like Travis Etienne (205 lbs) this April.

to read rest of article:

https://stillcurtain.com/2021/03/20/5-draft-trend-steelers-rethink/

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not 2 be a D!<k . All three of those guy you posted are hurt quite a bit for the amount of time they've been in the NFL.
    Not saying there's a correlation, just saying.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree. I actually think Harris may be a bit more athletic than Henry. But it did take Derrick Henry a couple of years to get going. It really wasnt until Mike Vrabel got there that Henry became what he is today.

I'm not sure Derrick Henry could run behind our line. Etienne has insane burst and runs with a low center of gravity. I like his chances of running behind our line moreso than I do Harris.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe neither. how cool would it be though if they draft both.:hehehe::smiley1::cool:

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Harris can play ILB and Etienne CB. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't like N.Harris didn't run. I believe someone else may have mentioned it.
    Make Me wonder......what's he Hiding. Doesn't mean he is just makes me wonder.

9. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah, he was running routes all over the field for Mac, so it wasn't a physical limitation. He pulled a Seinfeld, he chose not to run.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I think he's recovering from a ankle injury.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Javonte reminds me a lot of Nick Chubb, and that is a compliment. It would bring a lot to our run game. Chubb breaks a lot of tackles as well and has a lot of yards after contact.

Harris perplexes me, I don't know how to compare his running style to any other modern running back given how tall and lanky he is. Plus he sort of runs upright. Maybe like an Adrian Peterson? There is only one AP though.

Between the 2 Etienne seems most complete RB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Only way I would have wanted a first round RB is if the Steelers appeared to be going all in for 2021. Last few weeks have proven they are not, so I would invest a 1st round pick in a player you will try to sign after his first contract. Get Trey Sermon on day 2. If he wasn't sharing carries for the first five games he'd be a first round prospect.

13. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Normally you want to wait for a RB, but this isn't a great RB class.

Given the guys we have on the team. You probably want to bring a guy in who is heads above Snell to be the #1.

If we draft Sermon, I'm not 100% sure he is day one starter.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  14. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Funny thing is we drafted Mendenhall, LevBell, and Connor as "big backs" in college and then we force them to lose weight.

LevBell his rookie year was big boy.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I look for 2 Bama players with our first two picks, Roll Tide

• Like Like x 2
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He won't be there in the 2nd.

Harris brings back the old school pounder effect. Would he fit? Heck yea. So would Etienne.

They need a stud that can be the bell cow for the next 5 years. Next season we get the QB.

Both would help a joke of a running game. Obviously this Offensive Line needs to get back to road grading as well. Ben needs to buy in and I feel he was told so. Under center, play action. The dink and dunk must exit or we will see much of the same.

Really? What a corner? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    He won't even be there at 24.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I could see him and Harris falling out of the first. If you look at the drafts of the last few years, you have to go back to 2018 to find a good run of RBs taken in the first. Barkley with the 2nd pick, Rashad Penny around 20 and Sony around 28. 2019, Josh Jacobs went at 24, last year CHE went at #32.

I think Clyde and Etienne are comparable and no one in this draft compares to Barkley so don’t see anyone going that high this year.

I don’t think the value is there for most GM’s to go early unless you are generational talent.

PFF has Harris going in the 3rd, I don’t think he’ll fall that far, I think he’ll actually go in the first but won’t be surprised to see him go early rd 2 with Etienne following soon after.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I really think Etienne is a top 15 pick. I already admitted he is my draft crush this year. So maybe my opinion is swayed based on how much I have been following him. He is better than CEH. IMO. I think it's tough to compare anyone to Saquon.

Harris I can see falling to the 2nd. The only thing is that there are a lot of teams with need at RB. I wouldn't be surprised if all three, including Javonte go in the first.

• Like Like x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hope not. I feel he should be the pick and hope he falls right into 24.

Guess it really depends on the 32 teams needs Blast. Any thing could happen and looking forward to the draft but I feel they need to find that bell cow who will fit into Canada's system. I feel that Ettiene is just that. He wouldn't be a reach as some of our 1st rounder's were. Not going to be able to fill all the needs this draft. If the O Line can put it together as I feel they will taking a better approach at running the rock. Can't have Ben throwing it all over the lot, a balanced attack is key as far as i'm concerned. Opposing defenses figured out the dink and dunk game. This has to end. A diverse O is what we need. This starts with a back that gets respect from the opposing D, bring those safeties up in the box and then over top to Claypool / Johnson. And vice versa.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, trying to predict where players get drafted is a bit of a fools errand. I like Etienne, would be perfectly happy if they draft him but I’d prefer they go in a different direction with the first pick.

I think people are sleeping on McFarland, too and will have a big roll in Canadas offense. I prefer they draft thunder to compliment his lightening. Harris if he drops or my secret draft crush, Rahmondre Stevenson, a beast of a man at 6’ 230lbs with uncanny agility for a guy his size.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought he went about 250. I've been interested in him from the Sooners.
    Not much wear on him

24. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Harris. Bigger is better. I watched his tape against OSU and Florida and it was great. Excellent vision and his feet effortlessly follow his eyes. His balance is excellent, especially for a tall RB which is a significant difference I see between him and Derrick Henry. Soft soft hands, he was making great catches in stride and even held onto the ball after getting whacked at the catch point.
    [​IMG]
    He is not just "big for nothing" either. He runs with power and is the woe of arm tacklers everywhere. His size and momentum make DBs anklebite when they try to tackle him and he side-steps effortlessly. He is no Alvin Kamara but has +agility in open space.

His tape against Notre Dame was less impressive but still good as Notre Dame kicked ass in run defense this year. It was better than Javonte's tape against them and lightyears ahead of Etiene's.

He reminds me of Le'Veon but faster. The only real deficiency in his game is blocking. He sucks for someone his size. Etiene is way better in that department. Also, he is 23 which is not great for a rookie running back.
    I do not remember Mendenhall, however, I think Conner hardly lost a pound after coming out of college. He was always around 230 at Pitt and 233 at the combine. He is still listed at 233 on the Cardinals' website. Le'Veon, I believe, lost the weight of his own volition. He was 260 at MSU and slimmed down to 242 by the draft. Then he was 226 next year. He thought it would help his game.

We also drafted Speedy Gonzales himself in Dri Archer and he was 170.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    RBs just don't hold alot of first round value.

Push come to shove, I think both Harris and Etienne are available at 24. I've acknowledged I prefer Harris for the Steelers.

Our need is so great at RB we may actually consider taking one at that spot, however, I doubt either Harris or Etienne will be BPA on our board.

As I have seen mentioned on the board, if we go RB in round 1, then OL has to be the pick in round 2. Either we commit to fixing the run game fully and completely or don't even bother going RB at #24.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1