1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

who is Bill Nunn?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Rollers, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Is he a member here?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He played a major role in drafting the 70’s dynasty, including the historic 74 draft. It was his connections to black colleges that gave them an edge over every other team, he knew about players no one else did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Thanks. I meant to ask that a long time ago. Appreciate the education

• Like Like x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought you were joking.
    That's why I didn't answer.
    As I bet most did, or you would have got a answer from everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Steelers History 101

Founder: Art Rooney Sr. (HoF)
    Architect: Dan Rooney (HoF)
    Head Coach: Chuck Noll (HoF)
    Scouting Guru: Bill Nunn Jr. (HoF)
    Hall of Famers: https://www.steelers.com/history/hall-of-fame/
    NFL Champs: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008
    AFC Champs: 1995 and 2010
    Greatest Plays:

• Like Like x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Bill Nunn is the greatest NFL Draft Scout in the 100+ year history of the NFL. No other NFL Scout that I can think has brought in more H.O.F. players than he did. For that matter, he was an instrumental aspect of not just the 70s Steelers teams but the team's resurgence in the 2000s (although Kevin Colbert was the "main man" calling the shots in addition to him taking more of a role being a mentor for the upcoming Steelers Scouts like Brandon Hunt). More importantly though, Bill Nunn brought forth the idea that talent can be truly found anywhere; all the more reason those legendary 70s teams had so many Hall of Famer's.

For that matter, I could argue that the Steelers of the 1970s are arguably the greatest collection of talent in North American Professional Sports History. Never again will that many great talents ever appear on the same team. Sure the early 80s Islanders, 90s Bulls, 90s Yankees, Brady and Belichick Patriots, Golden State Warriors of the 2010s all have some form of contention but none of those teams collectively had the level of talent those 70s Steelers Teams did.

In short?! Bill Nunn was like The Undefeated article title; a Trailblazing Savant of a Talent Seeker. One that which we shall never see again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Without Bill Nunn, players like Donnie Shell, L.C. Greenwood, Joe Greene, Dwight White, Ernie Holmes and John Stallworth do not happen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He invented Google.

10. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    nope in the early 70's I was in vietnam and didn't know much about the steelers organization except for following the scores and watching games on AFN when I got the chance.

• Like Like x 3
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He is also, according to rumor, the person who “lost” John Stallworth’s game films (back then and especially at smaller colleges, there was only one copy) so that other teams couldn’t scout him and we could pick him up in the 4th round.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Legendary.

• Like Like x 2
  13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Bill Nunn Jr., was a Journalist, for a Black Paper his dad ran in the Burgh. He ended up becoming managing Editor after his dad retired. He for many years had reported on sports of the HBUs, so he had many relationships with these colleges and Universities that others didn’t. Being a Native of the Burgh Art Rooney Jr knew him and after firing the Anti-Draft coach Parker Art Jr took over the personnel dept. and brought in Nunn on a temporary basis. After a time his position was made permanent and became an executive for the team. Now he is an HOFer!!!!!
    I wouldn’t dare say he was the greatest scout ever. I’m not that qualified. Between 78’-85’ the Steelers drafted only 2 pro bowlers, Art Jr was fired, and the team went 25 yrs between SBs!!!

Bill Nunn Jr. was a black man who worked hard, broke barriers, exposed HBUs to Major Sports, blazed trails previously not available and Deserves the honor and recognition of his accomplishments and the platform of the HOF is Great and I pray his family Honors him appropriately on that day so the World will learn he was more than just a scout!!

Cajunyankee

• Like Like x 3
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Nice Cajunyankee, most interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    this is the kind of response I was looking for. Thanks

• Like Like x 1