1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson given permission to seek trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 19, 2021.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He's over on twatter bumping his gums about how he was never given a chance to restructure... And sh!t talking bush.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So, I guess there is no chance of him coming back on a cheaper deal. lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I know we are not privy to the inner working of the locker room and by all accounts Steven Nelson was a model teammate and employee but I get a bit suspicious when a player suddenly mentions in the media that the team never approached him about a paycut or extension to minimize his cap hit. Typically that signals to me that either Steven or his representation have expressed that he wouldn't take a pay cut and wanted a lucrative extension. Otherwise the front office isn't doing due diligence in order to field the best team.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    And multiple teams interested in a trade for him? OK, so the Steelers would not listen to any offer when they were going to cut him?

5. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    So are you saying there is only one open receiver each snap? Are you denying that Ben forces the ball to his favorites instead of taking more high percentage shots to "more open" receivers? Are you discrediting the value of the Biletnikoff award for the top wide receiver in all of college football? Simply stating that Washington doesn't get the ball because he doesn't get open is an extremely hollow argument.

And this thread shifted to other topics because Nelson is a non-issue. There. Back on topic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nelson thinks he's better than he actually is, saying he was the best CB on the Steelers, his twitter handle is Nelson_Island dude isn't Darrell Revis.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I don't fault the guy for his handle. CB's are the defensive equivalent of WR's. They are all divas. The problem is when they write checks their banks can't cash. Nelson falls into that category, figuratively and, if he doesn't get a call, literally.

For any Steelers DB besides Minkah to be bragging about their performance is ridiculous. The entire secondary should shut up and start pulling their weight. They have been our glaring weakness on defense for the last few years.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How do you think a receiver gets to be a favorite of Roethlisberger's? They get open. They make plays for him. Washington occasionally does the latter, but he simply doesn't do the former as well as other receivers on the team.

Now you want to use Washington's college resume? I guess you still can't figure out why Tim Tebow isn't headed for the Hall of Fame. Washington played most of his college games in the Big 12, where nobody plays defense. Those defenses made Mason Rudolph look good. Getting open against NFL defensive backs is an entirely different matter.

Simply stating that Washington doesn't get the ball because he doesn't get open is an accurate argument. He doesn't get on the field as much as Johnson, Claypool, and Smith-Schuster because they are better than him. He doesn't get the ball as much as those guys because they are better than him.

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Not only did no team want to trade for Nelson, but apparently there are no Teams that even want to sign the guy.

Still available as a free agent to any team wanting him; be curious to see what he is asking for now? 16 million?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I can't deny that in some pocket dimension, you are right. This isn't that dimension. But hey, you just keep being you. :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Enjoy being wrong. It seems to suit you.

I guess you think we shouldn't be talking about Huey Richardson as a terrible bust on the other thread. After all, he was a damn good college player. In the odd little alternate reality where your argument makes sense, that would be relevant.

12. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I know you are but what am I?

Are we really going to start going back and forth like this?

I don't agree with you or your logic. You don't agree with mine. But you seem like the type of person that MUST get in the last word, so you can have it. Please, make one more passive-aggressive jab at me so you can feel better about yourself. I'm preemptively going to tell you I'm not going to respond to it. Not taking your bait. Enjoy being right in solitude. :drinks:

13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    WELL OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You used a player's college accomplishments to argue about the opportunity you think he deserved with his pro team three years later. It is a terrible argument, as I illustrated with the allusions to Tebow and Richardson. You have no answer for those arguments, so you go for the personal dig. Enjoy being wrong in silence. Please do better next time. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    No, what I read was a few potential arguments to support why yours wasn't the only explanation, and it isn't. It's pretty easy, and certainly not illogical, to propose a receiver isn't getting the snaps because he isn't getting open. But there can be more at play. In this situation the Steelers had a crowded group of capable receivers to rotate in an offense where the QB was averaging 2.5 seconds from snap to pass. That's enough time to work through about two progressions. WRs past that - as Washington likely was - could have been open, or they could have been on routes needing more time to develop. Either way, they weren't going to get the same amount of looks. There's also the link I posted upthread where Ben called for Washington to be in more packages because of his ability to make plays. (You yourself even said WRs curry favor with their QB by getting open.)

Look, Washington hasn't really wowed me as a receiver, but the truth is unless you're a member of the coaching staff, or Ben himself, you don't definitively know the dynamics involved. So proposing differently than you isn't others 'not wanting to see it' or obtusely thinking it's all about what somebody did in college several years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Unless you and Seven4Steel are the same person, you are responding to a post that wasn't directed at you. He was the one who wrote, "Are you discrediting the value of the Biletnikoff award for the top wide receiver in all of college football?" as part of his argument for why Washington should be getting the ball more. Next time, please read the post to which you are responding more carefully first. Thank you.

17. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    You were the one I was responding to. Next time, please don't attempt to distract from the poor (and logically false) practice of selecting one piece of @Seven4Steel's post and spinning it into a singular argument he didn't make by wondering if I was responding to you, when I directly quoted and clarified the mistake you were making. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There was nothing poor about it. He presented that as part of his argument. I demonstrated why that is a terrible argument. If he doesn't want to have massive holes poked in his arguments, then he shouldn't use such terrible evidence.

I made no mistake. You made one by failing to understand the point I was making before posting about it. Please do better next time. Thank you.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I hear the foot stomping again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I see a post that contributes absolutely nothing yet again.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Your paranoia is surpassed only by your lack of reading comprehension and communication.

But it’s fun watching you get ***** slapped by half the people on this board.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Too bad they didn't have Ebron seek a trade. :shrug:

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why I like Ebron.. He was not used correctly IMO , I think he can be a true weapon in the passing game .He is just not a inline TE and making him work at it is bad for him and the Team.. Ebron is a big WR who can't block use his practice time on route running and on the jugs machine..Stop wasting time on cage work and sled work..

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh yeah.
    I hear what you are saying, but even Wrs have 2 block so....

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep some, but blocking a guy out in space to wall him off so to speak is much different than drive off the ball blocking ..Plus the best way to make a WR type a better blocker is make them a bigger threat in the passing game use that threat to open up space ..I just see him as a Weapon if you spread him out not so much in tight..

• Like Like x 1