1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kellen Mond? Please no

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Rollers, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sneaky sleeper. I’d take a flyer on him, Trask or Newman on day 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    dan moore jr. yes please. :cool:

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would take Kellen Mond as a Late Day 2 Pick if I could. This whole aspect of him not being good simply because he does not have all of his mechanics in top condition is silly to me. Heck, the only QB to actually have "perfect" QB Mechanics, Footwork and consistency of throwing the football to come out of the draft within the past 30 years was Peyton Manning. That is it.

Kellen Mond could be in the perfect position should the Steelers believe that Haskins nor Rudolph is the answer. For that matter, given how Mond commented on the matter, something tells me they might be more sold on Mond than either. If that is the case, do not be surprised if he ends up as a 2nd or third.

A reach?! For me, without a doubt. Realistically, he is an early Day Three choice for me mainly due to his overall inconsistency and needing a serious tune up in the fundamentals. That said, he is going to be sitting down anyways.... so many of those flaws will be able to iron themselves out as time goes on; hence my choice of nabbing him in the Late Second Day.

Some though within the National Circles state that he is going to pick up some momentum as the draft rolls along however. Add the fact that he does have good experience with the athleticism and arm talent to match and, one could say that Mond may become better than others are giving him credit for.

5. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I got no issue with him in round 3. but not in round one

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    With the Qb we have starting, the Projects behind him, all the holes we need filled , and the depth we need....Qb...unless he's a forsure Starter is useless this year. Mond is not a Starter. People get caught up on , speed, athleticism, and arm strength. I swear I have watched every game he's played, that team Texas A&M is loaded. Even A&M fans will tell you he's not all that. Classic Deer in the Headlights.
    I'm not saying he sucks.
    You want another...well ...he don't suck Qb on the team, for a pick that we need something else forsure filled, or at least its depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    who?

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    No earlier than the fourth round for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Left tackle Texas a&m. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Kellen Mond will get a chance, but not with the PGH Steelers this year,
    We have far too many holes to fill at other positions. I look for the Steelers to be all in for a QB
    next year. Sam Howell anyone? With our draft capital with FA we should be able to compete for him.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Had not heard of Sam Howell. Looked him up. Lots of good things said about him as a pro style QB

12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Unfortunately my Pitt Panthers know him all too well.

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I am looking at the QB position in this draft and keep making the following assessment. Tell me I'm wrong.

1. We have lots of holes we need to fill. We have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds. 1 starter. 2 contributors. 3 development. If we come out of the draft with that, we did well.

2. What does anyone we draft at this point bring to the table that neither Rudolph or Haskins does? Haskins was the 15th overall pick. Tell me why a guy we get in this draft is going to be any better than what we are going to get in what we have?

3. We have many other needs and are taking 1 more shot with Ben. IMO the only way to actually take that shot is to have an incredible draft at positions OTHER than QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    With 5 picks in the first 4 rounds I think they will get more than 1 starter out of that group, a center and a RB would probably start, and possibly ILB and LT.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    its not all about just this year.

haskins and rudolph are only signed for this year.

we will have zero QBs signed for next year except ben, which has voidable years only on his contract.

if we are drafting one to become the next starter, this year would make sense so he could get a year under his belt in the offense and under a franchise QB to learn before he is thrown to the wolves.

no guarantee that we can re-sign either of our backups.

this class of QBs may be stronger then what may come out next year when we pick.

not saying they will this year but those are some of the reasons they might. :cool:

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    A starting center and RB has to come out of this draft, and if we are lucky enough to get Surratt
    at 82 we have accomplished alot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They can tender Haskins in 2022 and Rudolph will have no real market. I wouldn’t be fretting about either of that pair. They’ll get them back on very reasonable deals if they want them.

If there is a QB they like in the middle of the draft then I’ve no objection with them taking a flyer but it’s quite rare for those guys to pan out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think my only point is that I don't think there is any QB in this draft who we will have the option to take who can start next year....period.

So right now:

Ben, Rudolph, Haskins - nobody signed

If we draft someone:

Ben, Rudolph, New Pick - only new pick signed

I don't think that puts us in any better position for next year than just extending one of the 2 guys we have right now in camp. Pick one...sign them. Guess what we are in the same place.

I just don't see it as a draft strategy we should follow. What makes us think that a guy we take, even in round 2, is going to be our next starter any more than the 2 guys we got here. I think we would be better off to extend Rudolph now, extend Haskins in camp if he proves he deserves it, and then go all in and draft a young kid in the next draft or sign a bridge starter in free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Just spent a hour or so watching highlights .

I like this young man . Keeps getting better year after year . 4 seasons as starter . Has a rocket arm. Has hit 60% + on completions last 2 years. Risk taker , but can put the ball in tight windows.

Will only be 22 years old to start season, 6`3 220 ,could learn a whole lot sitting for a year.

Steelers are showing interest as Canada was at pro day.

Can we get him on day 2 ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Oh my just saw this thread after I posted a thread in main forum .

I like him .If we trade back in first and grab another 2nd he should still be there.

He has lots of exp. been through the ups and downs . 60% + completion rate and senior , are 2 variables Bill Parcells always looked for in a QB.

What I like about him is that he doesn`t hesitate and lets it fly.

Mason just kills me because he waits to long. Just like Neil O`Donnell early on.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm...

Depends. For me, as I said, I would not mind taking him in the later portions of Day 2 but I seriously doubt he will be available. That said, you do bring up a good point.

The fact that the Steelers are showing as much interest in QBs this season might have more to say about Haskins and less about Rudolph.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    haskin ain't much. way over drafted. nothing says mason can or will be just signed cheap by us as many think. heck duck got picked up this year. a kid sitting and learning this offense for a year i have no problem with. if we pick middle of the pack next year we could be saying the same thing about who is available to us. then we are a year further behind. there may not be as many good qb's in next years draft. i don't have a problem if they decide to draft one this year but i also think this draft is deep enough that we could get one late as well and be in good shape too. i've talked about book and ramsey and collins. even if they are nothing more then a backup, we still will need them. you never know. :cool:

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers will be able to retain Mason easily if they want him, he’ll be in line for a starting job here.

If they draft a QB, then he may leave if he finds better $ but even then he could be starting here unless it’s a 1st rd pick.

Don’t want Book unless it’s 7th Rd and they are drafting him as being a career backup. That’s his roll in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Probably get him on day 4.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I have said this before that these guys may even make it to udfa status. I wouldn't have a problem with that approach and may be surprised hopefully. :cool: