1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers trade a third round pick for Sam Darnold?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 29, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Also throw Mason Rudolph in the deal.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    No.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That is a tough one for me. The biggest issue is the 10 million or so this year, then the 25 million guarantee on his 5th year option. If he sits this year then you are investing 35 million to see if his career is redeemable, then you either have to tag him or pay him. I believe he can have a decent career under the right coaching and system, only 24 as well..but that's a lot of hard cash to find out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He is a gamble at this point and he is also going in to his last year. If Ben wasn’t coming back it might make sense but Darnold is just not an option now. They can’t afford his salary without compromising other areas of the team and his fifth year option would cost nearly $20m. You’d be giving up a third and a tonne of money for him to sit on the bench for a year. The money & timing just doesn’t work and he is totally unproven in any case.

It’s possible that he has a Tannehill type renaissance in the right situation but I don’t think the Pittsburgh offence (particularly the OLine & running game) is strong enough to give him that right now. Hard pass

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

I just checked Tannehill's stats as I have heard others speak about that type of 'renaissance', but actually his career in Miami was not actually that horrible. Yes he was only around .500 as a starter, through to many int's..but actually had some respectable numbers with the talent that was there. But we are in agreement that the cost of guaranteed money vs. the potential redeeming quality is just not there right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If the Jets are willing to eat some of his contract money

Then I will offer a 2022 4th that could be a 3rd with playing time... and a 2nd if he starts in the Super Bowl for the Steelers

HACK

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tannehill and Darnold are very comparative IMO. Both had/have similar situations even though their styles are vastly different.

8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes I agree, Tannehill wasn’t a disaster in Miami by any means, but once he got in to that play action offence with Henry in the backfield and AJ Brown and Davis to throw to he looked really good. I’d bet if you put him in the Jets offence of recent years he would look very ordinary again.

Even if the money worked I don’t know about Darnold tbh. The Jets looked better with Flacco once he came in last year, the arm talent is there so maybe Darnolds confidence is shot or whatever, but the cost of finding out if he is fixable is too much at this point. He will probably end up somewhere like Denver, flame out again and be available as a free agent in 2022 as a redemption project. I’d have no issue taking a flyer then.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Rudolph is better

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he really isn't. Darnold has a strong arm and he is more mobile. He has been surrounded by terrible skill players with the Jets, certainly inferior to what Rudolph had around him in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That sentence in bold is the key point. I think the best solution would have been to cut Roethlisbergber loose and trade for Darnold. In that scenario, I would have definitely been willing to part with a third-round pick. Then you have a season to evaluate Darnold, and the money to keep him once Roethlisberger is off the books the following season. It makes no sense to deal for him now knowing you would be expecting him to sit behind Roethlisberger in 2021.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Darnold sucks though... imagine losing to him lol

13. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd give them a 4th and Rudolph. Darnold is a slight upgrade over Mason, not by much though.

14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Just to play devils advocate,Jamison Crowder and Robby Anderson are good players, he also had Lev Bell there and Mims this year. OLine was a catastrophe from day one however. Anderson looked much better this year with Bridgewater of all people throwing him the ball

Rudolph had a pretty rough cast around him at times in 2019, Juju and Conner were in and out of the team with various injuries and never really looked fully healthy, DJ also missed a few games. Washington was his top WR in 2019. Remember Tevin Jones, Amara Darboh and Deon Cain all came in and played because they were so short at times. I’m not sure it was a particularly good receiving group, all things considered

• Like Like x 3
  15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Rudolph couldn't even beat out Duck Hodges.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Actually he did. That’s why he was the #2 and Duck was on the PS

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No. Only Collin Cowherd would make that trade.
    Like SteelersFan said. Jets looked better with Flacco. It's the First thing I thought.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Rudolph got injured on the idiot helmet smash and Hodges went on a roll til he didn't several games later then Mason finally got the start again. Tomlin went with the hot hand therefore he didn't win his job back immediately but did eventually.

19. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    6th. That is the highest pick I would give. Next year's conditional 6th at that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I could've sworn the font was green when I first read this. Forgive my brain. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Whatever was green he already smoked.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Sign everyone and everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Rosen should be available for free after the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Darnold isn't any good without a stacked team in a college not so great conference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So Rudolph did beat out Duck

• Like Like x 1