1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Conner stay?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Busman, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still blame the front office for trying to spin him into the guy they wanted to be their franchise RB.

Rather than just admit that he was brought here to be Levon Bells backup. Now they are forcing him out of town because he was not able to carry the RB load. He should have had many years as the backup here who knew the system and could sub in when our #1 RB needed a rest.

Sometime your next man up is not 1 guy, but an entire committee!

2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    for a stretch from games 2-6 he ad three 100 yards game and an 82 yards game. Not a bad performance

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I remember that game.
    Was wondering what was going on myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I like Conner but it's time to move on.

Conner isn't durable enough and his running style is problematic. JMHO.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I would be ok using the money they give Samuels to JC as a backup. And draft a RB1.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes please. I like Conner when he is running North and South but off injured. Need to turn the page and draft a stud #1.

7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    As part of a rotation I’d have no issue with Connor coming back on a minimal contract, cut Samuels to make it happen if needed.

I think they do need to draft a back with one of the first two picks, no more fourth round projects please.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I still think he stays for cheap. He's a smart and loyal guy. I would think ... he was watching the Juju situation play out. Quietly, keeping a low profile. Will be better with a better oline. They all will be

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Wheres the better OLine coming from? The draft?

Pouncy was in decline but still much better than what we have currently at C. AV also declining but no idea if Banner will be worse.

Without signing veteran solid FAs we were never fixing the O Line in 1 season. It will probably be as bad if not worse this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    That's why we don't draft a RB in the first 2 rounds. I don't care who you get back there, he needs a line to block for him first, unless you get Barry Sanders in his prime. Something tells me that won't happen. So draft and build the OL. They will serve you for years in the running game AND passing game. Upgrade the OL, upgrade the entire offense. Drafting a RB early in the draft is short-sighted and continues our backwards slide that started with bringing Ben back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Id be fine going OL-OL-DB

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Idk they had to hit rock bottom, the worst in the league.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We need a te & a rb in the draft, starter material. Don't waste a pick on db early.

14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I thought Conner did very well the season he first took over Bell's spot. I think there were some league adjustments along with a drop in OL performance and scheme that took a hit on his productivity, but he still averages 4.3 yards per carry. All in all I think his skill set could be said as above average.

The problem is with his durability. Since becoming the starter he's missed 12 games, 33% of his starts, with at least three each year. I think this and the lack of an elite talent to help offset the diminished run blocking have made him appear more pedestrian (the play calling last season did him no favors either).

Obviously the line and strategy are top priorities. The decision on drafting a back early just comes down to how unique a talent Colbert and Co. consider them to be versus those available at other positions. If someone special is there, you consider taking them.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they draft a center, and a LT I think the OL will be improved also with Dotson starting.

16. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    If we draft a OL rd 1 and 2 maybe we have two guys that can start year 1 and be decent? Even that is far from a guarantee. With that being said I doubt we draft two Olineman 1 and 2 so realistically we have 1 guy that could start. O Line will be a huge problem again this year.

17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    FFS, this would be so on-brand for the 2021 Steelers, so why not.

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I am going to have to agree with the op which suggest our oline need is big and if they can fix the oline then you can get away with just average backs that are inexpensive. Having said this I would love to have a road grader like Chubb .. Someone that can pound the hole and drag defenders. Of course " beat off defenders" is always good haha

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm a little surprised he's still around. Goes to show people are concerned about his durability.

He's been a good serviceable back when healthy. I think offensive line woahs are a big part of the problem.

20. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    This was my turning point against him. If you go back and watch the game, he was getting stuffed every time. After one stop-for-loss, he looked over at the sideline and gestured what I interpreted as "this play calling sucks!" or something else negative directed at coaches. He finished the series I believe, then I'm *certain* got benched the rest of the game for insubordination. Benny Snell came in and ran for 100+ and looked great.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Not sure what you're referring to here. Snell only had one game over 100 yards last year, week one against the Giants. Connor left that game with an ankle injury. He went on to have a few 100 yard performances before the running game in general starting falling apart around midseason.

Snell meanwhile didn't rush for anything signifcant again until he posted 80 against the Bengals toward the end of the season. Connor was inactive due to injury that game. They stayed with Snell as the starter the following week against the Colts depsite Conner being active; neither were effective.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    This draft is deep at OL, they could find a starter at center in the 3rd round, they found Dotson in the 4th round last year :shrug:. They don't have to take a OT in round 1, they could get one in the second round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Id say Dotson was more the exception than the rule in terms of a 3rd or 4th round rookie and although he showed upside it wasn’t like he was an All Pro. I mean the man couldn’t even start in a playoff game.

If we get 1 OL in the draft that contributes similar to Dotson last year that would probably be best case scenario. And the OL would still not be any good.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The OL was already in pass blocking, they just need to improve in run blocking, AV and Ramon Foster were UDFAs :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree. My question is whether the run game was compromised by the offensive strategy? What I mean by this is that we were doing fine with the run early on and then other teams broke the code on how to stop it. Did we make the right adjustments to counter their counter? The OL, in my opinion, didn't just forget how to run block within 2 weeks time. I remember other teams saying they knew what we were doing (run and pass) before we did and that I blame on the overall tactics how the offense operated. We could be a lot better off just with the change in coaches more so than the change in players. Maybe both changes are needed but a new OC was desperately needed for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1