1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2022 Offseason

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rel, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I was reading an article about TJ Watt and this jumped out.

“And it's worth noting that the Steelers have less salary-cap space committed to their 2022 roster than any other team in the NFL ($84.3 million).”

So if the cap would stay flat that puts them at 100 million in cap space in 2022, and we know that cap is going up post-pandemic, possibly way up due to the new TV contract.

Now a chunk of that will be taken up by Fitzpatrick and Watt but regardless, all of the fans who bashed the Steelers about the notion of “kicking the can down the road” with the cap....well in Colbert we should trust I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    But...Can we kick Tomlin down the Road?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The cap could be 210-215 million, the Steelers might have 140 million or so in cap space.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Are we not still kicking it down the road with these voidable 4 year contracts ? Albeit in smaller amounts.

Don`t we need to sign TJ this year ? Tagging him next year will piss him off and he will be 29, I think.
    So 30 yo to get to FA or tag again my be the best way to go. And never give him that blockbuster deal into his 30`s.

All kinds of options.

5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    TJ will turn 27 in October. **** his feelings, this is a business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I say we pay his $10 mill this year and tag for 2 more at another $45 mill. and let him walk. We will have got his best years .

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have noticed the one year contracts. We will never admit to tanking but 2021 could be a throw-away season. I hope I am wrong but I am looking forward to 2022.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Here's hoping they don't decide to blow it all on a spending spree. That never seems to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    agreed. But as of now it’s looking like a ton of cap room and a bunch of comp picks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    A couple of us have been saying that for ages, they will actually have money to spend for once in 2022.

There is no reason not to extend TJ this offseason, they can do a deal that actually gets his 2021 hit down and gives him security, keeps him happy. You don’t want to be repeatedly tagging your best players.

I would not be in favour of a massive splurge next offseason, it never works as somebody already pointed out. I would spend money on a #1 corner to replace Haden and maybe a good TE if they are available in free agency. Try to do as much as they can through the draft after that and pick up the usual roster depth then.

They should hold back as much cap as they can and roll it over in to the next year. It may take 2-3 years to build a championship roster, assuming they can find a QB.

11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You also have to calculate that the team only had about 12 or so under contract for next year (number could be up or down because of recent signings and releases). While there should be a lot of room under the cap, it will not be near as much as the numbers you posted.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if the cap goes to 200 million, we still now owe 100 million of that out. that would leave us at 100 million, but we would need to sign 35 players. those include watt and minka's 5th year option. we have 0 QBs under contract. we lose 3 of our 5 WR's. 3 starting OLinemen. 1 starting CB. 1 ILB. many backups at various positions. then have to sign those new draft picks and carry money into the season. tj and minka alone could eat about 30 million of that 100. not as much as you may think to throw around after the dust settles. lots of dead money with those spots to fill. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s about 23 under contract at the moment.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah it’s definitely not as glorious as it sounds. We’ll have some money to spend, but not as much as people are hoping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    There will be two draft classes between now and then, that’s probably 15 cost controlled guys to add to the 23 already under contract give or take, add a few UDFA’s and some roster depth guys that they always pick up anyway and you’re probably looking at having to sign up to 5 contributors.

Drafting well is key. If they screw up the next two drafts none of this cap space will matter. They also have to find a QB either in the draft or free agency

They won’t have money to throw around but they will have a lot of flexibility in the coming seasons that they wouldn’t typically have. Ideally they target 1-2 key contributors with whatever money they have.

It is a little alarming watching them push all this money in to 2022 in a effort to run it back with a massively weakened roster in 2021. I hope they don’t waste this opportunity.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    of that 23 ben and juju probably won't be here but their money will. nelsons 6 mil. as well. so we are down to 21 signed. any other voidable contracts that we sign for this year will be the same way. those three alone are about 23 million in dead money. :cool:

17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Nelson’s money will fully vest this year, you’re right about the others though, they also added void years to Ebron’s deal lately. Im not sure I like all these voided contracts, it’s simply borrowing from 2022. They have the money, but still. There was a strong argument for taking their lumps this year, using it as a year to reset the roster and tidy up the salary cap to build a foundation going forwards.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes you are right about nelson. he is dead money this year. we are at over 18 million in dead money this year. ebrons moves forward. :cool:

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I get what you're saying and won't disagree. However, I've found that the better an employee feels about how they're treated usually increases the ROI and their value to the business. Then again, to some knuckleheads, it doesn't matter. I don't think TJ is one of those.

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I know. My main point is that the Steelers are starting off the post Ben years (assuming this is his last) which few if any albatross contracts and dead money. They have the ability to really refresh/rebuild when combined with the draft picks. Retain who they want, move on from others.

21. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I am starting to think we are doing this year what the Patriots did last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Yup we will get his best years and at the same time make it to where no free agents want to stay or come here. The league watches and sees everything that transpires. When i say the league i mean the players and the GM's and the coaches. Doing things like this has consequences. And those consequences end up being that you start to turn your franchise into the Jets or other bottom dwelling franchises. True winners don't go to those franchises. Guys that only want to be paid do and you have to over pay them to come.

Not a great idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agree

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah... we don't want to go through the Woodson thing with TJ Watt. Steelers need to lock him up long term.

25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    You realize they have like 18 guys under contract for 2022, right? That's why the number is so low.

Also, all of these voidable years contracts they're doing now are going to eat away at that cap space for players who won't be on the roster in 2022.