1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Looks like Cleveland going all in this season !

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by kicker_twentyone, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The best team in the off season since rhey drafted Faker. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    This. :facepalm:

3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll take our history over theirs. I doubt the Steelers will pack up and sneak out of town to become Rats somewhere. I've been around long enough to have worked security at Municipal Stain-ium to keep fans off of the field during their games for college beer money in the 70's- and they still suck. Sounds like you have Stain envy or something.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Cleveland and Baltimore are both significantly better than the Steelers before the draft. We have lost a ton of defensive players and our offense was the worst in football down the stretch of last season. Cincy all depends on if Burrow is back and healthy. If he is the Steelers could easily end up in 4th place.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Fine by me. That would mean a top 10 pick.. maybe top 5 and possible franchise QB. It's time to rebuild... too bad it will be delayed a year.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The offseason champs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The offseason champs that went further in the playoffs than the Steelers. :facepalm:

8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Losing 5 guys on defense would lead me to believe they are rebuilding on that side of the ball this year. :hmm:

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I'd rather have a 2-15 season than a 9-8 one and missing the playoffs. The last time we had the #1 overall pick was 1970 when they picked Terry Bradshaw #1 in the draft.

I still believe we will be much more competitive than that though and get another mid range 17-23 draft pick range.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Should have started this year. Wasting a year of relevance for absolutely 0 chance at a championship.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    As soon as they brought Ben back then doubled down with JUJU it’s clear they actually believe they can trot out that same offense and be successful. Delusional at it’s finest.

Yes we did fire the OC but Ben can’t run Canada’s offense so it will just be the Ben Shotgun show with a new name as OC

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Although TOMLIN track record says with Ben we will be 8-8 or 9-7 I think 1 of 2 things happens

Our Schedule is so difficult it can’t be overcome with Bens age and losses on defense.

Ben gets hurt and retires.

Either one will have us at around 4/5 wins

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Again. It is a 17 game season from here on out. Just saying. Don't want every fan out there to be overly surprised by all the records that get shattered this upcoming season.;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Rooney/ Tomlin underachieving Tandem strike again...The Steelers will never " rebuild "...They think that would be a disservice to their fans.." WE'RE ABOUT WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS" ...

***** please...You don't have to broadcast it, promote it, SAY it...But YOU ARE setting this Franchise back with the middling, middle of the road approach they're taking...

Ok,I'll play GM!!!! Here's what we SHOULD have done!

Cut Ben/ TELL him to retire
    Roll with Mason ( see what he has one last time ) or maybe bring in a 1- 2 year stopgap option...Fitz, Mariotta type...
    JuJu...No...
    Pouncey, Big Al,Pouncey, Nelson,Conner...NO...

Get as far UNDER the cap as you can...Get the NEXT franchise QB...
    Wrap up Watt, Minkah long term...
    Start bringing in an influx of good young talent.. Replenish/ Reload...
    Start making some tough but better decisions for the future...
    Heyward,DD, Haden,Tuitt...See what you can get or Bye!

This...Up against the cap every year, with a middling, alot of over the hill, not even close to Super Bowl roster...Has to stop...

Instead of the Steeler Way... Let's replace it with " MEH, same old .500 ( maybe ) no money ever, don't have a chance at the big one ever, but won't really suck ever " Way

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Are you sure you don't run the Jets, Browns, Miami, or Detroit. LoL
    Those teams have a good year here, and there. Then they start all over 2 win that championship that has eluded them for years....and seems 2 keep eluding them .
    I wonder why?

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Is the AFC so loaded that we don't make the playoffs? All these dream teams in our division now...lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'd say the Washington Whatchamacallits have giving them a run for their money though over the years

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yep. Been saying that all offseason. Let Ben, Haden, Vince go, trade Cam. Then you have enough money to sign a guy like Hilton and keep Nelson.

If they draft a RB in the first round now, it will be a complete waste. Better get a QB, OT, or CB and hit a home run with the pick. If Micah Parsons slipped, I'd jump on that, too.

Draft has to be about the future, 2021 is lost.

19. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I’ll take our future over there’s

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    At least they have 3 sbs

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Kc is a lock. I think Baltimore is a lock(I know people here disagree), Cleveland is likely but I wouldn't go lock. Bills are likely. Patriots likely. Titans likely. Then you have dolphins, chargers, and colts who all have a decent chance.

22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Dream teams that have better QBs than the Steelers at this point. And most likely... better defenses. :facepalm:

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Injuries are likely which means nothings a lock.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I understand the want for younger players on the rise versus older ones in decline, but IMO it's part of the normal mix and cycle of things. Right now they have more of the latter, which can be a downer, but the scale should become more balanced over the next year or so.

That said, some of these ideas just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not seeing a significant effect they have on getting the team there faster.

I agree the team has underachieved a number of times over the last ten years or so. But that's the cause of some of their 'middling' results, not some refusal to rebuild talent. This is the first time since some of the Cowher-era defense retired we've had a significant transitional point.

At this point many would argue Ben to be within +/- 2 wins over a replacement. Depending on which side of that you stand, a Fitz/Mariotta (even Mason in some circles) could be seen as gaining a win or two. Which, if you want the team playing for the highest draft pick possible, would be counterproductive.

Disagree. JuJu isn't costing the team much at all and represents a good young talent I'd like to see them keep beyond 2021. I mean, if we cut ties with him we might as well trade Watt/Minkah for draft picks. They're nearly the same age.

Aside from Pouncey being cut twice all of this is likely happening.

I don't understand how people think a franchise QB is so easy to acquire. But I don't see the FO doing anything to significantly hamper their chances of finding one either.

Both of these are likely in the works.

They'll be doing this in the draft, followed by next year's free agency period and draft.

First, given age and dollars Tuitt is likely the only one of that bunch to garner much of a return. Second, we don't know that they haven't put feelers out anyway. Third, I don't see what releasing them would do to help restock the team. I don't see selling out for the almighty higher draft pick when you don't see a SB run the only likely scenario as a sound business practice. Total rebuilds can take a lot of time, and don't always work out. Fans and players aren't likely to be drawn to that.

Again, this is the first transitional period the team has had in ten years. IMO, they've had the talent to make a run in the playoffs more often than not over that span, so investing the time and money to field the best team possible seems the proper course of action. They weren't mired in mediocrity for the sake of being mediocre.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1