1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson given permission to seek trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 19, 2021.

1. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Possibly. We don't know. Speculating who said or did what behind closed doors is pointless. I only care what end result is, and I'm not going to automatically blame Juju deal. It stinks if Nelson leaves, but that's the business nowadays. It would be nice if players always just honored tgeir contracts, but I see their side too. They have a very limited time to maximize their money. This ain't baseball they're playing. Guys careers end every day.

edit: I'm obviously using the Amish internet since I didn't realize he was already released

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    More news for the sake of having news as opposed to news that is actually important to the masses. Controlling information really is not a new, radical idea. If anything, more and more people are becoming aware of what is versus what is not.

That said, it is difficult to say what exactly went down between Steven Nelson and the Steelers. At this point, who honestly cares?! Nelson has moved on and the Steelers now believe in Sutton to likely play on the outside. Still though, another veteran corner is needed to be added into that locker room to go with the likes of Layne and Pierre. Never mind that though, the NFL Draft is coming up and there could be more options at pick 24 than I first thought in comparison to what I had initially perceived in January.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Steelers seem to be the " Bad Guy " on the Nelson situation. Telling a player to go seek a trade WTF is that all about? Nelson was just fine in the secondary. Steelers usually really good about letting players play out a contract unless they get old or ****e the bed. Nelson did neither. I do not like this move.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Any chance talks broke down because Nelson refused to give up #22 for the Steelers 1st round draft pick?

Just Sayin'
    upload_2021-3-23_23-15-18.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Slot corners are a dime a dozen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Which means Colbert will still be selecting the pick, as always.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He was never going to be traded. There is no market for a CB making his money this offseason with this cap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    his trade value was really non-existent in the current financial climate of this off season.

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Don't remember Colbert having as many problems selecting picks till Tomlin came along

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    selective memory?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers are a weaker team today than they were a couple of days ago with Nelson. The reason why that happened matters. We may not find out, but that doesn't mean it isn't relevant.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well whatever transpired it's over, he is no longer a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Adjust the rear view, that's where everyone who leaves is as far as i'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    BS:cool:

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    nelson got cut because he made a lot of money and was the #2. we had to cut somewhere. he was it. as i called vince and nelson. 12 million dollars. we were way over the cap and had to make some moves. we may have to make some more before it's over. we have no money to work with. we turned two players cut and 3 player restructured (cam, ben, watt) into 8 or 9 players that we needed. wormley, juju, finney, hassenauer, haeg, banner, kilabrew, spillane, ray ray. :cool:

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You can disagree, but it will be.
    2 Defensive players in the 1st three rounds.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's a gamble whatever round you draft any player, but you already know this.
    Question if we can't Draft a ...whatever ...after a couple of times ...we just stop drafting that position?

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers scouts have proven over the years they are great at assessing the abilities of NCAA Wide Receivers. Steelers scouts have proven over the years they are terrible at assessing the abilities of NCAA Cornerbacks.

It's not complicated. The track history is there.

Fans of other teams are in awe of the Steelers ability to keep churning out above average WRs. I hear it quite frequently.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    defense: cb, ILB, OLB, DL.
    offense: C, RB, OT, TE.
    :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but you just can't stop drafting players.
    Also Ben makes a lot of those Wrs. Why do you think they disappeared...most of the time when they leave.
    Do they just all of a sudden suck?
    Anyway. I don't know , but We can't just go ...well we can't draft CBs so we never will.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Come on man.

• Like Like x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Emmanuel Sanders got better after he left the Steelers. He's an exception to the trend... but he did put up better numbers after he left Pittsburgh. Probably because he was buried on the depth chart by Ward and Wallace when he was here.

Holmes and Wallace didn't perform as well after the Steelers. Obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the issues they have at drafting CB's lay in the coverage schemes they use behind the 3-4. They want guys that play great zone coverage but their type of zone. They also want them to play man as well on limited basis when scheme calls for it. That is a lot of boxes to check off for kids coming out of college. Rare to find that CB that is that ready especially if you haven't drafted in the top 10 in 20+ years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

My money still on this... watch Big Al sign this week. Had to free up some cash.

HACK

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Strange how it goes.
    Just a few weeks ago, some thought-hoped for Oline with the first few picks.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They weren’t bad guys, if anything they were too nice. Letting Nelson seek a trade was an opportunity to keep his 8 million, he probably won’t get that on the open market. I have to believe the Steelers tried to trade him and couldn’t so they told Nelson to see if his agent could have any better luck.

Then they did him another solid by cutting him now, they could have held onto him deep into FA limiting his opportunities.

• Agree Agree x 3