1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson given permission to seek trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ok thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They already have replacements for three of those guys. Highsmith will replace Dupree. Sutton will replace either Nelson or Hilton. Spillane will replace Williams. The only really huge dropoff there is at outside linebacker, and they never had any shot at keeping Dupree. Starting Highsmith isn't a disaster, but the pass rush will be significantly weaker.

I'm guessing they will sign or draft someone to compete with Buggs, Wormley, and Davis at nose tackle, but that is a position that needs to be filled maybe 40 percent of the snaps.

I'm guessing the plan is to let Layne and Pierre compete for the outside corner spot with the hopes of Sutton playing in the slot. That is a big problem.

3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If that is the CB #2 spot between Pierre and Layne, then they should think about bringing in one of the 30 something CBs that are available in free agency now. If you are just looking for a 1 year player then someone like Richard Sherman should be considered.

All these 30 something CBs are looking for a team.
    upload_2021-3-22_16-33-55.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I don’t get this. If they wanted to keep him there’s a way, regardless of the Shuster signing and why would you not? Are they thinking Haden and Sutton is where the little cap they have is going in this area of the system?. Compartmentalizing cap dollars to areas of need? Unless there’s something we don’t know.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They could do an extension/restructure and move some money around. I'm guessing he wants even more extra money in his extension and Steelers refuse to do it?

I would have thought we would have heard something on a trade by now? The longer it goes, the more likely it will be that we get a lower pick I would imagine? Or, none at all and he gets cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So to summarize... You were wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If I didn't get the pick I wanted I keep him. If he wants 2 be an A$$ I'd bench him all year long.
    That , and about a couple Billion $$$$ is why I'm not an owner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben was talking about retiring, which caused the Steelers to panic and drafted Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Right Glenn Hilton is not an important part of the team at all regardless of the technicalities you want to pound your chest on to argue with me. Clueless as usual. Go buy some more Steelers AFC north Championship Gear and TOMLIN fanboy hats.

I can see Glenn actually walking around town with a hat reading TOMLIN! “Ain’t never had a losing season”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who said Hilton wasn’t an important part of the defense?
    He wasn’t a starter yet you tried to sneak it in there.
    Try harder next time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hilton had 20 starts by the way.

everyone keeps forgetting about trevor williams. he's got 27 starts in the league, 23 passes defended, 3 interceptions. bounced around to two teams the last couple of years that already had starters but we then picked him up late last year. he's got experience. a lot more then layne or pierre, heck more then sutton. if they happen to draft a guy like stokes from georgia (which we know they met with at his pro day) laynes days could be numbered.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    The problem is a team doesn’t play a base defense the entire game Glenn. I would assume Hilton played a snap percentage in the top 11 defenders on our team when healthy...... he was constantly on the field! Alulu might actually have been the 12th technically speaking in terms of percentages. Wonder if anyone has a quick way to put up a chart to show defensive snap percentages.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I remember that Grout, It was like Ben was in one of his moods " I'm thinking about retiring "...So the Steelers acted responsively ( and they kept saying they had a first round grade on Mason ) ...

THEN... Afterwards, Ben gets mad, when Ben said, he might retire, and the Steelers took steps, to possibly get his predesessor...

Ben has always done this... It's like he's really wanting that reasureance or pat on the back.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nelson left KC with the same attitude just in time to not get a Super Bowl ring. I am not really surprised he wants out now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Ben has a huge Ego and if you haven’t noticed over the years tends to be slightly dramatic :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, his mood was fire Haley or I’m gone and then they drafted a QB and Ben was like wait, that wasn’t one of the options :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You can try to dice it up anyway you want, but he wasn’t A starting CB.
    You were wrong just suck it up and MoveOn. Saying that you were technically wrong doesn’t make you any less wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So you are saying he is going to leave and we are going to win a Super Bowl?

I like your thinking

;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    We have terminated the contract of CB Steven Nelson. Per Steelers site

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Okay, now I'm pissed. Trading him was somewhat understandable. Cutting him is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    By S. Nelson.
    Hello 1st round CB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    From what's Labs was saying it was pretty much a foregone conclusion when he asked for permission to look for a trade. They were going to cut him as a cost saving move. Sucks his trade value dropped after that announcement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe they think they can get by with Layne, Pierre, and Nelson. :getsick:

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, people still need to stop connecting this to Smith-Schuster. That has been completely and thoroughly debunked.

• Agree Agree x 1