1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowher

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 12, 2021.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Art will be the speaker for Cowher's enshrinement. He announced it today.

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Which of the last 6 games or last 2 playoff games did we get the most out of our players by the coaches? Tomlin wins a lot of games but so what if you can't compete with superior coaching come playoff time. We run into a buzz saw and don't know what the hell we're dong for over a qtr it seems. We've had players not know that a kick after a safety is a live ball after 10 yards and then watch it while the other team jumps on it. How many on this board will be beaming with optimism when we have our next playoff game? How many will be excited when we are doing well 10 games into the season and and we can finish like we started? And that is what pisses me off more than anything. Hard to trust this team anymore. Our failures are epic come playoff time. We have the players on the bus but the driver can only get us to the same destination - not because he is a bad coach, its that we need something different and innovative. As far as how we got the talent, I doubt Tomlin is even invited to the big board meetings especially when its time to discuss his specialty, DB's which everyone up there seems to have issues with. I give Colbert kudos for talent acquisition because that is his job and it seems he puts a decent team together. If I knew more about how they do things up there, then I wouldn't rely on the eye tests to form opinions and I don't trust the media bs.

3. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Our defense has been awesome. Our offense has been putrid. They take too long to start, they end up causing the Defense to get gassed both in game and in season. If you want eye tests i ask you about AB and how he was allowed to dictate whatever he wanted to do. The reason i ask you about that is that i believe that Ben has been hamstringing the offense for quite some time. I think he is stubborn and uncoachable and his early success allowed him to be untouchable. Someone else posted that had he put in the work earlier in his career he could have had similar success to Brady. As many Issues as i have with Tomlin i do not think for one second he is the reason the offense is the way it is. I think thats Ben and i think that edict comes down from the top not from Tomlin. I am not saying by any means that there isnt a issue with Tomlin at all. I think the culture issue (as stated in your signature) is more of a issue that starts from the top. I think Art is not even 1/4 of the man his father was when it comes to running the steelers. Either he is perpetuating the issue or he simply doesn't care enough to change it. either way its his fault. Same thing in Dallas (where i live), Fire the coach and things dont change. Why is that? cause the owner is a meddling idiot (yes he's the GM also). He is responsible for the culture. When Dan ran the organization and his father before him you would never hear of the stuff happening that happens now.

And you doubt Tomlin was invited to the draft room? neither him nor the GM were in the meeting deciding whether to keep Ben or not. That meeting was Art and Ben only. What does that tell you about who is responsible for what's going on with this team? And who else in the league does it sound like? ill give you a hint, I mentioned them earlier in this post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You realize that Art 2 was the team president the last three Super Bowls we went to right?

5. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Yes i do, but his Dad was still involved.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe, but how much? He was an Ambassador to Ireland. I'm just saying he's not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Any company that has problems it starts at the top. If tomlin is the fault of every problem on this team, then whos fault is it that Tomlin is still here. Art, owns and runs the team. It starts and ends with him. If he isn't involved then its still his fault as he is the president. We absolutely have a culture problem in this franchise. That absolutely is Art's fault! He signs the checks! he signs off on the hires! We didn't have that problem before Art?

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Fire everyone. Sell the franchise.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    So you as a fan with an outside perspective have identified several huge problems that you have no knowledge of what Art Rooney's goals are for his team. You are making bold statements based on the problems that are irking you and really are your opinions backed up by your interpretation of the data. So yeah let's blow this thing up and be done.

• Like Like x 3
  10. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    We can’t even get the Pirates sold. Let’s do that first

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just so I have this right, Dan Rooney gets credit for only good stuff and Art 2 for only bad stuff?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Nope your wrong. Dan Rooney gets credit for the invention of the wheel and Art is responsible for the stay puft marshmallow man!

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So to sum things up...
    U mad Bro?

14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    It is not my opinion that Art owns the team. It is a fact. Art owns the team. IF there is a culture problem then as the man at top by himself now, the buck stops with him like any other company. Thats why he is on top. It all starts and ends with him.

Is it my opinion that the team has a culture problem? i guess you could say its my opinion along with many other fans. Tomlin has fallen short in some areas. Yes that is my opinion, again shared by many fans. AB was a problem resulting from culture. Again you could say thats just my opinion pretty much the entire league with the exception of the bucs agrees with that opinion. Juju and his antics were a problem related to culture, again thats my opinion along with many fans and Tomlin's opinion as well enough that he addressed it. Shall i go on? your 1 million percent that i have opinions and dont know everything that goes on behind closed doors. What isn't an opinion is that Art owns and runs this team and it all starts and ends with him.

Please tell me again how im making bold statements that a company owner and president is not ultimately the one responsible for how a company/Team is run and for its mistakes and failures?

15. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Not at all i'm smiling man. There is nothing any person on this forum could say or do to make me mad. Its a forum, its a sports team, its something i involve myself with for fun. Not a single one of you have the power to ever make me mad with words. They are just words.

are you mad? LOL

• Like Like x 1
  16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Art owns and runs the team and apparently he is ok with the culture of his team and those he employs otherwise you would see massive changes right? What we as fans see as problems or concerns really don't enter into an owners consideration. Your bold statements are that either Art is a bad owner because he isn't addressing the problems you and other fans see or that as the owner the buck stops with him and he should definitely address the problems you have identified like culture and discipline. Those are the only two options you give. The third option being we have no idea what Art Rooney sees as problem and we don't know what moves he has made to address culture and team discipline beyond staying the course.

This reminds me of the discussions we as a board had about letting Dick Lebeau or BA go or even retaining Keith Butler. They started with how do you not bring DL back or let BA go, I mean they just helped this team to a Superbowl or were responsible for Ben having a career year statistically. Well you start by not letting the end result be the deciding factor. You evaluate them on different aspects of their job and base a choice on those evaluations.

Same thing here. You got fans upset about Juju dancing on a teams painted grass. You got fans mad at Tomlin for not cracking skulls and creating a more disciplined team. You got fans who are mad the after the 2nd half collapse Art didn't fire everyone and blow it up. You have fans that think because their viewpoint aligns with talking heads or 31 other teams front office it means that those ppl agree with said fan. The reality is I'm sorry unless you work for the man you have no idea what he thinks about his team beyond the fact that he didn't blow it all up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No I'm not mad. Just seemed like you're taking the way Art 2 runs the team pretty personal?

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Art is a business owner, his number one priority is making money, he makes money by making sure he puts a competitive product on the filed year in and year out to keep butts in the seats, paying for drinks and food and products.

JuJu being on Tik Tok or dancing on opponents logos is probably way way way down on things important to him, I doubt he even sees it as a cultural problem, I sure don’t.

Tomlin has for the most part been a very successful coach for Rooney but his lack of playoff success could start to warm up his seat because again, it’s about the bottom line and playoffs means money.

The rest of the stuff fans complain about is just noise that Rooney tunes out.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You seem to take saying anything negative about Art 2 personally.

20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Oh, I agree regarding AB. But was the whole organization behind Mike Mitchell when he ran his big mouth? Bryant, Juju and their BS? Sorry, but Tomlin doesn't get a pass because he may or may not have been overruled on discipline for Brown. This team, for the most part has been soft for several years. Not player by player, but overall. And that falls at Tomlin's feet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

That’s great and all, but notice the quote I was responding to was the one that said that “any other team would have fired him after 4-5 years.”

Which is a frankly silly claim. You don’t have to support or despise Tomlin to see that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with all of this except about the reaction to letting BA go. I’m fairly sure there were street parades and public holidays declared when that happened.

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Do you remember how bizarre those discussions were though. They were fans who believed you couldn't fire BA because he led the offense to a SB and Ben loved him and put up such great numbers with BA as OC how could they possibly justify firing him. I sit there and calmly say that at the end of the season Tomlin should evaluate his staff and if they aren't meeting the goals he had set then maybe their contracts shouldn't be renewed. People acted like that was crazy talk

• Like Like x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We still have a Cowher player. :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  25. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    upload_2021-3-20_0-18-37.gif

• Like Like x 2