1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowher

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Cowher didn’t have a top notch QB but he had league leading defenses and running game every year and benefited from a time when only they were drafting DE’s and moving them to 3-4 OLB’s, it was a treasure trove of untapped talent year in and year out in the draft.

That said, yeah, if he had an elite QB to go with it, would have loved to see how good he could have been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with this completely.....except Ab and Brown part...who's the other Brown?

3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Supposed to be Bell, I went and edited it. Good catch.

Anyway, he would have been all over AB when he started taking penalties with his TD celebrations......AB would have been on a short leash and maybe would have realized that acting like he could do whatever the hell wanted could very well get his playing time reduced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t know about that, his team was rehearsing a SB video they were going to make if they got past SD. Tomlin would have gotten roasted if that happened on his watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Yeah, well that's one instance where I think Cowher allowed himself to get caught up in the hype. I can't ever remember a player openly disrespecting the team by repeatedly and willfully doing the same things over and over without ramifications when Cowher was there. Plus, Cowher's teams generally had strong leadership within the team itself because he instilled discipline and there were consequences for stepping out of line. Tomlin? Not so much. Now, the one difference, and it's not a trivial one is that Cowher didn't have the social media menace to deal with. But, I think he was a strong enough personality to be fair about it. I mean, Belicheat manages to keep a pretty good lid on it....it just takes discipline.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm on the list that appreciates Mike Tomlin through all his strengths and his faults.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I have a lot of respect for coach Cowher. I don't see anyhmthing here regarding what this means for the Steelers if any. I'd definitely see it as a positive if it did have something to do with the team

8. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I've seen people complaining about Tomlin's "standards", but give Cowher a free pass for the mediocre QBs for most of his time.
    That was his choice.
    He had more resources to put into other areas of the team (like defense), because they weren't spending on QB.
    (Cowher had to be overruled to draft Ben.)

As far as discipline goes, there is a limit to how much coaches can control players.
    Ben riding a motorcycle without a helmet showed that.
    ("...a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher." Looks like that lecture didn't work.)

9. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Man, those were some mean and nasty Ds back then.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    My point regarding discipline with Cowher was in game or on company time. Even Belicheat couldn't keep Aaron Hernadez from being a murderous idiot. For example, Ab's end zone celebrations and general pouting and acting out when he wasn't getting the ball. You think Cowher wouldn't have been in his face about it? Tomlin just stands there, oblivious to it all. Tomlin is a quality NFL coach, I won't dispute that. But he coddles his veterans too much and allows the whole team too much leeway. I cringe when an outside player says they want to come here because Tomlin is widely regarded as a "players coach". I'd rather they want to come here because he puts them in the optimum situation that allows them to succeed and by extension helps the team win championships.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    You're right to some degree. Cowher didn't have to deal with Instagram, Twitter and the other social media devices that they have now though.

I think Belicheat had more control on what happens in NE than Tomlin does in Pitt but I get your point. for instance, I don't think Tomlin could bench Ben but Belicheat had the ability to bench anybody in NE, including Brady. And I understand that Belicheat is clearly the top coach since 2000 even with the stuff like Spy Gate, Deflate Gate and the Ref's calls that favored them.

It would have been interesting to see how Cowher would deal with today's game, salary cap woes, personnel moves and the vices available to these youngsters now. Coaches have to have people skills in today's NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    George Seifert won two Super Bowls too. However, after 2012, the team has been turned over from the Cowher era to the Tomlin Era. for 9 seasons he has won 3 playoff games. Lost many bad games to lousy teams that cost the team bye weeks in the playoffs and playoff berths in general. He has a habit of not having his team prepared. He had the best running back, receiver and a top 5 Qb for a 4 year window and failed to make the super bowl. His team went 11-0 and then lost in a wild card game. This is not good. Steelers greats have commented on how lousy he is. It's not a secret. The results are there. The proof is there. I wish it wasnt because i like Tomlin as a person but he is not a good coach, he just isnt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Same after 14 years.

14. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    More like never hired in the first place. And here we are stuck with the Bum for 15 years and counting

And now the franchise QB is done or should be at least. If we don’t hit lucky on a QB in a draft in the next few years even the blind sheep will finally see the light. I hope.

3 playoff wins in 10 years! How long will it take for a change? 11-12-15???

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Don't be too sure of that. your lost in wonderland if you think ownership isn't aware of the diva like tendencies of AB. IT took the entire organization to allow that to happen and hide as much of it as they did for so long. Most of us were completely oblivious to how BAD AB really was. My point to that is that i still believe that edict was coming from much higher up than the coach.

16. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    My problems with Tomlin, aside from not being a good coach, stem more from him not being a good coach. His teams don't have solid leadership because he is not a good leader. He is a rah-rah guy who is more buddy than coach. Maybe some people like touchy-feely, politically correct, socially responsible, pat-on-the-back coaches and coaching style. I don't. I respect hard-nosed, accountable coaches who demand hard-nosed, accountable players and teams. I don't respect Tomlin as a coach. I don't enjoy watching his team like I enjoyed watching Cowher's. Maybe it's just the NFL in general. I'm getting less and less interested in the product being put on the field. It's becoming less and less about football. To me, Cowher was football. Tomlin is not. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    You say Tomlin is a quality Coach, But coddles his Veterans to much ( which is true ) Tomlin also is horrendous at clock management and challenges ( lost 18 or 20 in a row ) I believe...

What exactly makes him a quality Coach then? I'm not trying to be a Dick, But I see so many posts like this...

Tomlin is bad at " this, that, and the other " BUT...." I think he's a good Coach...

Based on what then?

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin obviously relies on strong coordinators.... and was at his peak with Arians and Lebeau. It seemed like Cowher had a different O-coordinator and D-coordinator every other year when he was coach. Some stuck around longer than others... Erhardt, Whiz and Lebeau.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    I feel that way when people say "the team has a lot of talent, and thus are underachieving under Tomlin".

My question is, how did they get this talent?

If the coaching is bad, then they aren't developing it.
    The team drafts later than almost every team (outside of the Patriots), so they aren't getting it from the draft.
    Also seen plenty of posts complaining about the draft choices that were made: Dupree (first three years), Edmunds, Burns, J Jones, etc.
    The team doesn't have much cap space, so they aren't buying high-priced free agents.

Maybe the team doesn't have more inherent talent than the rest of the league, but the coaches are getting as much as they can out of them (so it seems like the team is more talented).
    They are able to get performance out of other team's discards and undrafted players.

In which case, that is good coaching.
    (That would explain the many cases of Steelers players leaving in free agency, and not performing as well for their new team.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019

1 word Ben

21. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    That could mean more than one thing.
    So I'll use 3 words, but you'll have to decide which ones are the right response to your answer.

Marino & Fouts

Brees & Rodgers

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Actually 10 seasons.. But who's counting?

23. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tim McKyer is a ****ing idiot.

24. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow! Can't believe it. So it is official then! :dancing::clapping:

25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

?? what is ?