1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Justin Layne

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Mar 9, 2021.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    So he is entering his 3rd year. Basically he played special teams last year with limited defensive snaps due to injury in which we was got taken advantage of. Sutton and Hilton won the position over him also in his 2nd year

Here we are going into the 3rd year. Nowhere do I hear about feeling confident for him to step up even into a slot corner position. That is pretty bad.

What's amazing is albeit being raw many 'experts' thought this kid could go in the 1st round.

Anyhow for whatever reason this team has been horrendous in drafting and developing secondary players. It appears the experts were wrong again.

I guess he fills a relatively cheap void to fill a roster spot and play some gunner on special teams.

Why is there no talk of Justin Layne? How long is this kid on the roster?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    3rd rd pick, too.

Needs to bring it this season but the team showed what they thought of him when they started Pierre over him at the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Clearly, Pierre has moved past him and is the more likely option to contribute on defense in 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ah yes.... the annual "[insert name here] critique thread." Always a joy to see some of the comments. This year I am going to contribute a little more early this time around.

Given the fact that Layne only has four total years at corner versus someone like Cameron Sutton who has been doing it throughout all of High School is the equivalent of comparing the experience of a Master Sergeant to a Private First Class. Layne definitley had bad plays but also had good ones as well. Him putting it all together will be key.

Hopefully there is Training Camp as that would help Layne to a great degree.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Layne has shown absolutely no improvement from his first preseason rookie game at CB, until the Cleveland game last year. I would say there is a good chance he does not even make the roster this year.

Assuming the Steelers try again with a middle round pick at CB, and with James Pierre coming up; Layne could be the odd man out.

Layne has to show something in training camp to justify a roster spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We're taking one in the 1st.:smiley1: That or LB

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    With the Steelers history of drafting poor corner backs, and what we have seen of Layne so far, this pick does not look good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I can't see it, he has shown NOTHING. A 180? I feel he is a bust in a line of failed corners.

Hopefully they can keep Sutton.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Agreed not having training camp last year has to be a setback especially for someone in his position learning a new position.

This isn't a bash Layne thread, but don't you think his lack of presence warrants a discussion? Right now more than ever they need this kid to rise to the challenge. He's not even in the discussion as a possible solution in the 3rd corner slot for formations.

Trust me I'd love to see a success story of him working his way into the lineup. Maybe he can prove me wrong I'm lacking confidence

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am so tired of these redshirt years, can you play in this league or not.
    It really is that simple. Salary cap era can't have this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Why does how much experience he has at the position compared to someone else even matter. This isn't amateur hour, you either are capable of doing the job or aren't. Saying that Sutton has been playing the position longer is not an excuse for layne not being good enough. Your analogy of a MSG to a PFC doesn't make sense. We are comparing two professional DBs with 4 years or less in the league, not what they did in Pop warner peewee football. Every one of these DBs played other positions in high school and probably played both ways.

• Like Like x 1
  12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    What I've seen from lane is a cb that is decent in pure man coverage (which we barely use).... When it comes to zone, he is totally lost... He has issues with knowing his assignments and being in the right positions..
    Physical ability is not the issue... His issues are all upstairs and his position coach has not been able to properly teach him the technical aspects of the position.... I agree that he needs a training camp, but more importantly, he needs someone that can dedicate one on one time, and I'm not sure if that's possible

• Like Like x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I disagree.

Playing the Corner position during ones final two years in College is a lot different than playing said position as a Freshman in High School. Especially in Layne's case, he is going up against opposing WRs who have been playing that position for a far longer period of time than he has at Cornerback. Compare that to Cameron Sutton who seemingly knows the Corner Position like the back of his hand in comparison to Layne.

Experience counts here. Layne is still very new to the position; very young still at 23. Cameron Sutton is a seasoned vet who can be deployed in a number of ways.

I get it. Waiting so long on a player to succeed is frustrating. I think me and you both agree that waiting on Terrell Edmunds to finally showcase something was definitley too long. That said, remember, Justin Layne was a project in the third round; far more raw than Terrell ever was.

All this being said, I do agree that Layne must show something this season. If not, I expect his replacement to come in 2022.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Having problems.
    Ah never mind.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe we went through something of the like with Ike T . because of some of the same reasons. That turned out pretty well. Hopefully we can get the same.
    Hopefully.

16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe I'm just being argumentative. But I don't see Sutton as a "seasoned vet" having just finished his 4th season. Plus, his rookie season, he didn't play much in the secondary his 1st year. So he pretty much has 3 years playing CB in the NFL and even at that, he has cracked the starting lineup only 7 times in 47 games played in during the past 3 seasons. But, my point was that I don't care if one played CB in high school and one didn't. They are both CBs drafted in the 3rd round within the past 4 years. The expectation for their capability to play the position should be the same. One guy doesn't get a pass because he didn't play the position in high school for crying out loud. You're a 3rd round drafted CB in the big league. Show you can do the job.

17. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    It would seem to me the decision of whether or not he's been a disappointment ultimately comes down to what the team expected when they drafted him. He was known to be a project given his lack of experience, so I"d assume they didn't expect him to have an immediate impact at CB. But just how long before he did show returns I'm not sure. I would think by the end of his rookie contract though, especially at the cost of a third.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt they would cut him going into his third year, not going to give up on a third round pick this soon.

19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Sometimes it takes longer. Look at Dupree. He didn't break out till his 5th season. It took Heyward a few years to get going as well.

Look at Willie Gay. He really didn't break out till his 5th year and became a really solid corner. I'd say on at least the level of Nelson. Let's give the kid at least his 3rd year before we write him off. It might not happen. Look at Justin Gilbert. 7th overall pick, helluva athlete. He did NOTHING. So I think we can wait a little longer on a late 3rd rd guy.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    According to some Steelers fans on here Dupree only started playing good when it was time to get paid :facepalm:.

21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Third round is too high in the draft to take a project. To me, taking a player in the the third should mean getting quality regular season snaps out of said player by the third season. Projects are seventh rounders and UDFA'a, not high to mid round picks. So, to my way of thinking, Layne isn't so much a bust as he is a victim for being chosen way to high in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pierre and Trevor Williams will probably play before him this year. Layne really isn't built for the slot.:cool:

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Pierre has now passed Layne on the depth chart.

Pierre getting the start over Layne in the Cleveland game said it all.

If we cut Layne after Camp we will save $850,000 this year and $965.00 next year.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agree to disagree good sir!!

I believe we both can agree on one thing; Layne panning out and doing well does more good for the team than harm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But in the lead up to 3rd year, you better show me some production, you just can't have non productive 3 years it can't happen
    we need winners now not 4 years down the road.

• Like Like x 1