1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bell Tolls

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I knew this was going to be a topic. I don’t see it, he didn’t burn all the bridges in Pittsburgh like AB did but he burnt one, didn’t have kind words about Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell No!

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    HE..............STINKS!

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    His patient running style worked great with the line we had a few years ago. I'm not sure he'd be that effective with our 2021. I also wonder how much he has left in the tank. I'd only sign him with no guaranteed money.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t need him, draft one.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell isn't too smart, he said last year that he made the right decision when he sat out the season because now his body is fresher, but now he isn't a feature back.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If any of the eye ball tests we ramble on about year to year actually have any merit, then why are my eyes reading this? Dude was really something once upon a time but he was losing that really something before he gambled himself off of the team. So glad he never signed that contract.

He was already close to done... Maybe not totally physically but his head and heart had already left the Game before he inked his next deal after leaving the Burgh and he hasn't shown anything of interest since. Total flame out.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Screw Bell. He don't need no football anyways, him's gotz dis great rap career. Thought he planned to Jet Ski with the Wet Sleaze.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    May need a vet to at least pass block in case the rookie isn’t ready or pulls a hammy. Maybe Carlos Hyde? Or Conner for the minimum? Not saying it is ideal but may be practical

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He is taking Shady McCoy's place for the Bucs. Will get that ring while never being activated.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Who?!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Leaving aside his history with the team I dont see why they’d sign him as a player. He has shown absolutely nothing in recent seasons, he is done.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I really never liked his running style anyway it was based on letting the OL catch the DL then he would just wait until a crease opened up.. I prefer a OL to actually drive off the ball and make a damn hole and a RB to hit it and punish some tacklers .. Football is a game of Chess and if you want to get a pass Defender out of the box and maybe even off the field the best way is with a Power running scheme..Force the other Team to insert another LB or DL and then bam you now have an advantage when you pass..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the players have to match the scheme. OL,RB,TE,WR,QB, coaches and technique. not sure we have had that. we will miss juju's blocking. OL needs to be on the same page with the running back and his style has to fit the system. we have to have the coaches in sync to teach the scheme by the OC. the TE's have to be able to block and their coach has to be able to coach them to block in that scheme. the QB has to be mobile enough to show different sets to run out of.

thats just the offense.

our defense had the same problem. for years we wanted to run more man schemes, but we kept drafting zone DBs. once we finally got some man capable corners, butler keeps putting them in zone coverage to allow the LBers to get more involved and they couldn't run in man. they tried. to much of a mix and we saw if the pass rush didn't get home the results were not good. we try to confuse the offense but usually ended up confusing our own as we keep hearing about all the confusion back there. there is a reason. fix it. i'm not sure he knows how and then MT steps in and tries but the results are no better.

we can switch coordinators until we are blue in the face but until we get players, coaches and scheme in place it will never run smoothly. part of the reason colbert said we can't get all the players Canada's scheme needs all at once. that means a lot of changes will need to occur.

it's also probably not going to be perfected in a year. getting the scouts and the guys making the picks and the coaches meshed together on what is needed and convincing the owner to maybe part ways with certain square pegs that don't fit the new round holes is not a easy thing to do, so get prepared. this isn't a one year ordeal. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You hit some very valid points I been screaming about for years..As you stated why keep drafting Zone CB'S when you want to get better at man coverage ? Why keep getting RB'S like Frank the Tank, Dwyer, Redzone and try and turn them into zone runners ? I am not sure this Team has a clear vision of what it really wants to be on either side of the ball..

We really cant see what the offense will look like until Ben leaves unless we use a 2 QB system.. How much Spread,RPO,Boot,Zone Read, PA from under Center does the OC want to run ? I actually hope we do run a 2 QB system as we are terrible in short yardage might as well let the bu QB run those Offenses that Ben can't..We have been last or at the very bottom in this area for years and IMO it is mainly because of Bens limitations..

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I actually think at this point in Bell's career that Conner is a better back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Negative! Double Negative even...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think the reality is he's burned his bridge in the burgh anyways.

I don't think he would love being in the same locker room where he vacated for a year.

I think there could be some tension in the locker room. Probably just best to move on

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s dishonest and dumb. That’s a bad combination.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He lost a step after his last knee surgery and the Steelers still foolishly tried to extend him - twice. This had better not happen 4 years on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    His 2 busted knees pretty much made him an average back... then the sitting out sealed the deal.

dime a dozen position for the most part.

22. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Very high risk, we saw what he did (or didn't do) in NY and KC. There's a reason they handed him the keys to the kingdom in KC and took them back after a few weeks. And I say this as someone who defended his holdout. I just don't think his heart is into the game anymore. He looked like Hines at the end of his career.

23. Bama Steel

Bama Steel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Bell doesn't deserve a penny from the Steelers after what he pulled. In Nam this guy woulda been fragged in about two seconds.

• Like Like x 1
  24. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    As our British friends would say, "bugger off".

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I honestly can see that happening.

• Agree Agree x 1