1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is returning to the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 23, 2021.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    On week 1 of the regular NFL season, he most certainly does. As he wears down, the likelihood that he physically gives them a better chance drops exponentially. An adequate running game and a commitment to it by him would certainly help his seasonal shelf life. Rudolph is younger and stronger but Ben's experience is invaluable.

Having said all of that, I'd rather that they just cut ties with him and got on with the business of rebuilding the team. They think they can still win. I don't see it but it will be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Let's compare the last 2 games to determine who gives us a better chance to win. And it's not even close.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Remember those words.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Fact is, we'll never know for sure who will do what, because if he's healthy enough to play, Ben's the starter whether we like it or not. I'm not telling you people what I hope will happen, I'm telling you what I think will happen. At the very max, they get ten wins with Ben and maybe squeak in. I can see a situation where they go 4-12.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've went 2 five different places today viewing what people think about Ben coming back. This is by far the one that dislike it the most. My Cuz text and told me 2 try it. That he had. All were Steelers sites. Wonder why? Damn thing is I like this site the best. It's why I finally signed up. I just find it strange. This site and I forgot ...Colin Cowherd . Hate Ben coming back the most. LoL

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah I'd say this site is best. I use to love a site called, "stillers". They had no respect for any player it seemed. Got a kick out of reading it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I truly wonder how things could be different with Ben with a revamped oline and a running game to fall on.

We have a great defense but it doesn't matter if they're on the field all game long getting winded because the offense can't sustain drives.

I'm not doom and gloom on Ben yet but I would look forward to Mason getting a chance to get snaps with the first team to see what he truly has before free agency

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Oh I will. Trust me.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This would mean Ben would have to be under center more. And utilizing play action. If they draft a versatile hammer they are not going to be handing off in the gun in which Ben has retired to. Hopefully Canada revamps the playbook and Ben buys in. Time will only tell.

As far as Rudolph goes he won't see the field unless their is an injury. So he was a wasted pick with a 1st round grade from Colbert. Tomlin doesn't have the nads to pull his meal ticket even if their is a multiple pick game or he is just playing horrible. It's all in on Ben, good or bad. And the 2021 schedule does not enhance the senses on a positive outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree with all points in the article.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Save all that money don't move more money down the road go with Mason run the ball and build the rest of the Team..Another year of dink and dunk will not work ..If Ben was a student of the game then ok that might work , but a old gun slinger with a rusted gun is not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know how the cap works but, from what I'm reading, we'll have to pay him anyway. Play him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Meh dont worry they will be right back on the Ben bandwagon come nxt season .. ... I have seen this show before ...lmao

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Does this really need its own thread, since there is already threads like this on here ?:shrug:

16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I thought it did hence the reason it’s here.... maybe the mods will merge it with one so your world will be right again!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will not be on the wagon..8-8 season at best IMO move money down the road to mess up 2022 and 2023 seasons as well ...IMO only 1 reason to bring Ben back and that's if you think he can win a SB ? Ben and this Team have no chance to advance in the playoffs much less make the big game..

Heck if average seasons is all we want just extend him for 12 years and let him play until he is 50...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I stopped after the first point they make, "the superbowl window has closed". Especially the statement "there is no way they can consider themselves a contender in this conference." They won their division last year. Sure other teams are on the rise with young QBs but to say the Steelers are not contenders is ludicrous. Get a running game, better play calling and get the Ben that played the first 2/3 of the season and we are right back in it and actually stronger than last year.

Just went back and read more. Another flaw in the article is the discussion about the quarterback carrousel and that the Steelers should take advantage of it. With or without Ben, they won't be able to pull the trigger on a big name QB like those they listed. They simply don't have the cap space whether Ben is $20M against it or $40M.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Not this time. I've seen this show enough to know how it will turn out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    The Super Bowl window will forever be closed as long as Tomlin is still here. But that's another story. Contender means winning your division and then not getting bounced immediately by a lesser team in the playoffs. You apparently don't seem to understand how many free agents we are likely to lose. Even if we post a record above .500 we are not contenders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Don't necessarily agree with the Tomlin part, but the rest of it, yes.

This team is old in important places, has cap issues, and is just trying to hang on to relevancy. Objectively its on the decline and is not a SB contender.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    We're going to lose a ton of free agents anyways. The only question is do we eat a massive cap hit this year and finish 4-12 or do we spread Ben's hit into next season and at least get something for all the money we're paying him. I think his base salary will be near the minimum with the rest being bonus and incentives.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Honestly I'm not even so hung up on Ben's salary anymore. It's the way it's going to hamstring Matt Canada not being able to implement his true offense because he is saddled with an aging QB who is likely still going to do whatever he wants. That's what bothers me. And as a coordinator it has the potential to derail his career from the start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Here's another potential scenario that isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. Let's say for the sake of argument Ben actually plays well next year, 34TD's, 8INT's for around 4500 yards, assuming he plays all 17 games. However, the team stumbles to an 8-8 finish. The next off season are we going to be here again having the same discussion? "Well, Ben played well, but the defense gave up too many big plays, lost too many close games, they still couldn't or didn't run the ball effectively. IF BEN COMES BACK, all they need is this, this, this and that." I just think they are pissing up a rope believing that they are a SB contender instead of turning the roster over, including getting rid of #7 so they can move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Get something for all the money? (Of course it's not the money that's the issue either, it's the cap hit.) The franchise has already got a lot out, it's just that the bill is coming due. There's very little left to get and that's the point. All you're doing by trying to get every drop out is wasting time and the opportunity cost that goes with that time.