1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you really see Ben in another uniform?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 22, 2021.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    If we cut Ben do you think he will play for another team or just retire?

2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    After seeing what Brady did, if he has the desire to play, I could see it happen.

Frankly, I think fans care more about it than players do.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I seriously doubt it. Ben doesn't seem to have that same drive that Brady did to prove it wasn't a system QB. I think they'll make Ben an offer he can't refuse and he'll restructure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Brady, Rivers, Favre, Montana, Unitas, Namath all played for somebody else at the end. I see no reason why Ben would be different, IF he thinks he still can play and if the Steelers don’t want him. I think Ben still wants to play, if he can’t come to an agreement with the Steelers and the split is less than amicable, he absolutely would consider going somewhere else just to prove a point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I could see Ben wanting to play on somewhere else in the unlikely event that he is cut, but I’m struggling to think where he could land that would give him a chance of winning more than a couple of games. Washington or Chicago maybe, I don’t think he is a fit in New England.

If he is cut I think he might look at his options and just retire.

6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Maybe he was just talking nonsense but in his interview with Bradshaw at some point midseason, he said if the Steelers tried to trade him he would just retire. Being cut and traded are obviously two different things, but I just don't picture him in a different uniform

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t see him uprooting his family to play for another team and learn a new system at this point in his life.

Would he really be given the same courtesy here as another team on what he does and doesn’t want to do? His game is pretty limited at this point.

As for the question, kind of meh about it. It’s not too often a player gets to play their whole career with the same team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Ben said himself that he wouldn't ever wear another uniform, and he said when the Rooney family doesn't want me anymore, then I know it will be time to hang it up or something along those lines.

But of course stranger things will happen. Not sure your going to see a lot of teams lining up for Ben, very few teams are a QB away from being at a Super Bowl level, pretty much every 2021 favorite is set at the QB position.

9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He never had that drive his whole career. He didnt dedicate himself to the game and now that his talent is gone he is a shell of himself.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't necessarily want to see him play for another team, but I think it's in the Steelers best interest if he retires or goes elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Stranger things have happened, yes.

But no. He won't wear another uniform. Not a chance in hell. He played this long because he was in charge of the offense. He came back for Pouncey. His words. He doesn't care about the money. His words. He doesn't need the money, can't physically play at a high level, and has already accomplished the biggest goal in the sport. There's NOTHING for him to come back for or to prove, to himself or anyone else. And frankly, I don't know how well he could adapt mentally to another system at this point. Other than him not wanting to accept his football mortality, there's NOTHING for him to come back for.

And then there's the other elephant in the room, who would want a physically limited signal caller who can't take snaps under center, run boots, successfully pull off a rpo, qb sneak, throw deep, or even remotely guarantee a full season of consistent play?

No one is going to give him a decent contract with his limitations and health risk. So do you really think he would come back for any other team for a minimal contract, new system, and less control of the offense...just because he THINKS he can still play? That's just silly. And he left it all on the field last season with an 11-0 start and a playoff appearance. He risks an incomplete season or a full one with far less success if he comes back.

Did I say he won't play in another uniform? Just in case I didn't mention it, he won't.

• Like Like x 1
  12. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I don't but there's a ton of noise coming from Pittsburgh and it's surprising given the Steelers' post-playoff commitment to Ben. I legitimately wonder if Ben retires or is cut. I think the team is ready to move on.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hope not. I'm about sick of the he can't throw deep, or move. I don't care if it pisses off the whole board. Yes his arm wore out. He just came off MAJOR SURGERY. Almost ( key word)nobody comes off Major surgery the 1st year and is 100%. As 2 the can't throw deep or move apparently you are going by stats , or some other metrics averaged down. I watched every game . Not highlights, or stats , and he threw deep, lined up behind center
    ( not so much after Dallas) , and ran the RPO ( not his fault offensive lineman were called down field & flagged when he ran it). 33tds -10 ints, and he's done. Like someone was just being nice ,and gave him those Tds. Here your done , free Tds & 12 wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He threw deep but with poor accuracy. Take note of when this article was posted and their comment about how much more of a problem this could become for them down the stretch and that’s exactly how it played out.

Now if you want to pin that all on his recent surgery and feel that he will improve next year, that’s fine but I think that would be a long shot and I think the problem goes further than his elbow.

In a vacuum, 33 TDS and 10 Ints sounds nice but a lot of us watched every game and what I saw alarms me. JMO.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/ben-roethlisberger-deep-ball-steelers-offense-2020/

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Plus to say he played under center is an overstatement, few snaps indeed..and not saying it would have been effective either as the poor line play and running game made play action moot anyway. I also am not going to argue pro or con about conditioning or lifestyle. Ben took a ton of hits early in his career, the body can only absorb so much abuse, Brady is an outlier..most of the QB's mentioned had limited success when they switched teams, Montana still had some game, Farve had one good year at 40 with Minnesota, but fell off the cliff the next year, Manning won a SB almost in spite of his play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    You absolutely HAVE to run the football.... Just not gonna be productive for a whole season throwing the ball 40 and 50 times a game... Your gonna throw pics ,I don't care what name is on your jersey . I'm sorry but THAT game plan did him no favors down the stretch..... With that said some of his decision making was mind boggling at times.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, fixing the line and ground game has to be the focal point of this off season. If they are going to have any success with Ben, he can’t be throwing the ball 50 times a game. His number should be around 25. Likewise if they move on from Ben, they need to help Mason or whoever with a strong ground attack.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    No doubt he's still better than most on this board. Obviously, I could run circles around him. But I'm not one to brag. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I don't see ben going anywhere where another coach might not let him do everything his way. I'm not so sure anyone can look at his performance and the fact that its a virtual lock that he cant play a Whole season anymore and he cant get under center much and think thats "my guy" i want to sign. He's gonna be another year older and thats not a good thing. If they cut him he retires. And if they are forced to cut him and he retires.

Ben is going thru what a lot of guys go thru in the NFL. He cant see that its time to hang them up and that he just doesnt have it anymore. And while he may be having a hard time with that realization, what he does know for sure is that he isn't going to put in the work for a new team and new system and new coaches. Why do you think every new OC that has come here has been running a modified version of the same offense. The only one that tried to change it alot was Haley and surprise surprise him and Ben butted heads and Ben went typical Full primadona with the retiring claims.

We should have hired Haley back just for one season this year just to Force ben to Retire! could have solved a lot of problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You also know alot didn't watch the games. Even be4 I signed on I would watch a bunch talking about not getting , or seeing the games. Then afterwards talk about what did , or didn't happen. I can't help it, but I always thought....how would they know. You know dang well when you talk 2 someone after a game if they seen it ,or not. By certain things they say, or if they just listen 2 talking heads go over it.
    Ah hell never mind me. Way bad day. I maybe projecting myself, or some other new world crap:shrug:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s all good man, I was just pointing out that people of this board anyway, pretty sure they are watching the games.

Break open a cold one, tomorrows another day, hopefully a better one!

• Like Like x 2
  22. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I agree with much of what you typed but was not on board with the Dink and Dunk during Haley. Understood the rationale but didn't like it.

23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    San Fran with Ben would be an instant contender. Shanahan is the best offensive mind in the game, that's a fantastic roster decimated with injuries in 2020.

Washington and Chicago need a QB, too.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You ever see Ben play in California, not pretty....

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He retires IMO

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1