1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JJ Watt release, let fan theories begin!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Feb 12, 2021.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You think everything is a bad move

• Like Like x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    When it is a bad one like this yes I do. Same as keeping Ben around.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Because the better option to Ben is which one of the schleps on the depth chart behind him, exactly?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Doesn't matter, they should have thought of that sooner. Another year with Ben is a wasted year because it delays any other QB getting starting experience and it just sets this team further back for the next year. We're not a championship team, I think people need to realize that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't disagree. But until they stop dicking around with these career backups and other teams rejects, Ben is still the best option in the QB room.

• Like Like x 1
  7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You know that your team sucks ... when players desire to play for the browns over you ... smh!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Players would be wise to steer clear of a Mike Tomlin coached team. The system he runs is overly predictable. Has been for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Is that how you felt when Tuitt's pec was shredded?! You can never have enough defensive linemen. They can't all be paid $10 million, but I'm not at all convinced JJ is looking for that kind of money

• Like Like x 1
  10. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    If the running game was worth a damn, Ben would've been a completely different QB. He's not the problem

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Second half of the season he sure as hell was. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think that's a fair comparison. James Conner wasn't drafted to lead the Steelers to a championship, and he was paid accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The one who nearly kept the Browns with their HC out of the playoffs with backups?

14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I keep hearing media types say that the Steelers have too many holes to fill to consider signing Watt, holes which Colbert will fill in Colberty ways -- cheap, stop-gap vets.

So would you rather have a potential impact player in Watt, or the next versions of John Bostic, Donte Moncrief, Marc Barron, Ryan Switzer, Steven Ridley, etc.?

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He is an impact player, but I think the biggest question is where does he fit? On passing downs we go with 2 DT/DE and 2 OLB. Does he come in for Highsmith or are we assuming that he can slide in lining up over the G and still be successful?

The other question is....is he still an impact player? Has he run his course and he is done? He hasn't looked "impact" in a few years.

16. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Is he the only impact player available? It’s a feel good story and I’d love to have him on the team, but there are other impact players that we can go after.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    That's the other argument I hear a lot -- he doesn't fit our D.

Make him fit. Tweak the D. Get your best players on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Agreed. I'd rather have one Porsche than five Pintos.

19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Like I said in the other thread JJ Watt could play 3-4 DE in base or he could play Edge in a four man front.

Tyson Alualu and Bud Dupree will both probably be gone. That’s a lot of snaps to replace. There will be plenty of playing time to go around. They should probably draft a nose unless Davis is ready.

If JJ wants to play with his brothers and his money demands aren’t crazy I think it would be a decent signing. His absolute ceiling is $ 10m, with his age and injury history I dont believe anybody will pay him more than that.

If he was to sit down with the Steelers I’d offer him 3 years $20m, backloaded. 2021 cap hit of around $5m. He probably won’t play the third year. That gives him two seasons to try to win something with TJ and Derek and I think he could be incredibly productive as a rotational guy playing all over the defence. Equally he could go on IR and be a waste

If he scoffs at that kind of money and doesn’t want it then fine, let him sign somewhere else. They can’t afford a premium contract for any free agents this year, regardless of surname.

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    What's the point of starting another JJ Watt thread? Every word that you wrote can easily fit into the other JJ Watt debate.

21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Honestly, if the Steelers are seriously considering bringing JJ Watt here, then they are more delusional than Steeler Nation. I like the guy, he's a great football player but they can't use him as they are currently configured on defense and they have much more urgent FA priorities. We'd be sitting here having the same discussions about him as we do about Derek. It would be incredibly irresponsible to bring him here, JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If his name was JJ Smith, the conversation about bringing him to Pitt would be very different. And might go something like this: Don’t we have enough expensive, declining guys already?

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Nearly = L

There are no moral victories.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Don't let Glemm see this, he'll accuse you of being miserable. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    With the holes on the o-line, salary cap trouble, the Steelers can't afford a luxury signing of JJ Watt even though I get why it be cool etc.

But, AL V is gonna be gone, Pouncey retired, Banner is a FA, Fleir is a FA

Outside of Dotson and Descastro the line isn't a real pretty pictures.

And if Ben or Mason Rudolph have to get behind that line it won't be pretty.

Steelers have to nail the up coming draft for sure, and we need O-Line help.

• Winner Winner x 1