1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Grady Brown new DB coach hired.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Feb 13, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The Steelers have hired Grady Brown to take the place of Tom Bradley. He has been all around college football. Last with houston for 5 days after leaving his DC job at McNeese St., LSU, South Carolina, Louisville and a few others. ( long list) strange he took the Houston job then came here. Oh, and no pro experience but two internships with KC and Seattle through the leagues minority program.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Where’s Rollo

• Like Like x 2
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Boy, how old do you have to be to get that reference?

• Like Like x 2
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I watched that show regularly as a kid.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Where do they find these guys? Career Builders? Probably the only one who will accept this position for what they'll pay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Teryl Austin will be the main DB coach, Brown will be an assistant.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    grady.jpe

• Hilarious Hilarious x 10
  8. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    This guy just signed a contract to coach at NCAA Houston 5 days ago and then says FU I am out of here already? Not sure how I feel about that as it reflects character (in my opinion) having someone depending on you and then walking out on them, or is it. every man for himself regardless of how someone else is impacted an acceptable standard? I am not sure I feel like we got better or worse coaching wise since the season ended. We'll see I guess.

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I get what you are saying, but I think in every industry/business there is that 'out' if something that promotes your career like this. We do not know if he was under consideration for both jobs, and if so I do not blame him for doing whatever is best for him. This is the same industry where you can be thrown under the bus at any time with little consideration for loyalty.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Ok, Ill buy that that but either way, the Steelers must have known they are making someone an offer that just accepted a position at another organization. I am not sure how that works in the "coaching world". In the regular world, from my experience, there are certain ethics that are adhered to with these type of things during the hiring process. Oh well, he's ours now and i hope he is worth it. Welcome aboard Mr. Brown. I hope he is not related to that who's name shall not be mentioned.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mac daddyo.

For the following, I refer to the "Tomlin Regime" often because I do not want to put all the onus on him. However, I will say he owns the majority of the following "Mess".

I am for given everyone a chance . Someone took a chance on me as being a teacher, and the short, it mutually worked out very well. Given that, this topic has been run into the ground since Tomlin got here. THE FACT IS Tomlin does have an extensive background in Secondary Coaching. I will not go through all the research on this again. I basically did intensive research to prove that FACT to a Tomlin Loyalist. After I did, and posted my findings, not surprisingly, he did not reply back. So everyone just take my word here that Tomlin's forte, per se, is the Secondary. Now, given that, the Recruiting/Drafting of Coaches, and more so Players, has been Abysmal under the Tomlin Regime.

When I did that research a year or two ago, we had drafted, now count them, a total of 14 Secondary personnel under the Tomlin Regime. All but Keenan Lewis could be considered a "Flop" "Bust" or whatever term that you see fit to apply to the situation. Totally "Disgusting" as I say around here. My suggestion was after we picked up Haden, Minkah and Nelson, was to just let some other team do the work and then we go after them. The Tomlin regime has shown a level of incompetence that I have never seen before in regards to any one entity of our team.

Now again, Mike Hilton looks like a "Keeper". However, he is an ex-Jaguar. Who else on the roster is worth keeping? Edmunds, Dangerfield, Davis, Layne all sub-par IMO. All mediocre at best. Again, "Disgusting". Nothing short of a "Horrific" track record in that Department. And there are others that have not even seen the field who I would not even comment on. Now, maybe Cameron Sutton (Hurray a Steelers' Draft Pick) has been decent. So in total, as far as Steelers Drafting has gone for the Secondary, there are two worthy of being deemed "Decent" in the Tomlin Regime: Keenan Lewis and Cameron Sutton. Not spectacular but admittedly "Good".

This is an extremely "Disturbing" trend that has gone on way too long.

I just cannot buy into the idea that all of these Secondary Draft Picks, under the Tomlin Regime, are that bad. No Way! Coaching plays a big role in this. And when the Head Coach has his most experience with the Secondary, well, that is just not a good look and again "Disturbing". "Very Concerning".

Now, to finish on a Brighter Note, we seemingly do exceptionally well with Wide Receivers (smile).

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    It was 5 days...not that big a deal....its not like it was the middle of the season. My guess is that Houstin had 3 or more people they were considering for the position and just slid the next person up into the slot.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    NFL>College

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wasn't Belichick a HC for a team for a day?

• Like Like x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I hear ya steel winds. MT was a wr in college. He did not have a ton of time as a DB coach nor as a DC. I liken him to the DB for Dallas that intercepted Neil in the SB and got a huge contract the next year. He never lived up to the money. Winning a super bowl sometimes counts too much for guys that didn't have a great deal to do with it but had a good run on the backs of others. We have had some dud wrs as well. We have had a few corners but the defense started working when we had first rounders at near every position. Does that make the coach all of a sudden a good coach? Getting my drift? :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not so fast. Sounds like the reports are saying Brown will lead the secondary.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And what is Austin going to do? Both of them will coach the secondary, just like Bradley and Austin did, unless Austin becomes DC and Butler coaches the OLBs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sounds like Brown will be the main db coach and Austin the assistant.:cool: