1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could a healthy D do that?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jammasterc, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Could a healthy Steelers Defense pressure Mahomes like we saw last night?

Tampa DBs looked like they didn’t have to make many plays.
    Because..
    The LBs were dominant.
    D-line was dominant.

Chiefs starting hitting the TE up the middle late, but that happens to Steelers.

Could Butler call that type of game?

We’re seeing a lot of attention to the Offense this off-season, but what about the Defense?

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe if everyone on the start of the year roster was completely healthy.....Yes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know, Heyward and Tuitt? They beat up on the bad teams, but never the good teams. Both got handled by the Browns for crying out loud.

Alualu has been great, but I still think we need a big time NT that is a difference maker as well. And maybe also another rotational DE that makes a few plays here and there.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    A dropped TD pass.
    Dropped First Down conversion by Kelce.
    Maybe a couple other drops.

Those possibly could have changed the game yes.

But that D was on Fire!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah that what I’m thinking about the most.
    The D-line needs a larger rotation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    The Chiefs O Line was also decimated. Tampa has a good defense that came together at the right time! You put a stout defense up against a backup O line and your gonna see this kind of outcome more times than not.

You also have to wonder where Andy Reids head was at for this game given the current situation with his son AGAIN.

The superbowl is a game where every little thing matters. The o line hurt, Mahommes had a hurt toe, Reids personal/family/coaching drama going on. Tampa being a actual home team helps, the refs were a little questionable.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Remember the Chiefs OLine was in tatters, they had four of their five starters out. That made the task easier. Barrett was making a total fool of his man all night. Mahomes clearly wasn’t healthy either. Then you have guys like Kelce dropping passes, which they never do. It was a total system failure on the Chiefs side.

Along with the pass rush the Bucs coverage was excellent, they took Hill out of the game almost entirely and took away everything the Chiefs normally do. It was a masterclass from Tampa and Bowles, dominant from start to finish.

Whether the Steelers could do the same, with everyone available including Bud and Bush I think they could do something similar against that OLine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If we were to catch the Chiefs using PS players on the line like last night, most certainly. That game last night reaffirmed that Defense wins championships. Unfortunately for the Chiefs, it can lose them too!

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think maybe Tuitt and Cam may have hit their high water mark and although still very respectable, I don't expect you're going to see much difference than what we have had the last couple of years if we're lucky. Saying that, we have so many other issues on offense that DL is probably not one of the higher priorities, i.e. not top 5 of the do something now or we're xxxxxx list. That doesn't mean KC wouldn't grab a BPA that happens to be a can't pass on DL if he see's one in his face during the draft.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Could a fully healthy Steelers Defense do that to Kansas City?!

Without a doubt. The personnel is largely the same if the Steelers are fully healthy. Bud Dupree and T.J. Watt were the best pass rushing duo in Football. Pittsburgh had a Top Five 5 Secondary to go along with the best Front Seven. Add the fact that Keith Butler uses Cover 2/3 quite a bit and the results would have been little to no different. Only major difference is Minkah Fitzpatrick as he is the best overall safety in all of football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jammasterc.

Yes, IMO, our Defense could have played the Chiefs well if we are at full-strength. When Bush and Dupree were with us, we were fast, really fast. I noticed how much we were having “Lunch Dates” in opposing teams’ backfields. Creating turnovers, sacks, quarterback pressures, and tackles for losses. Of course, no one can say anything with 100% certainty. However, and again IMO, we would have been up for the task.

Now, yes, I do have a concern about the front three as they produced nothing in the recent playoff game. I mean nothing. “Disgusting” as I say around here. Beyond Disgusting. Totally embarrassing. Now, was this “Drop-Off” in Defensive Performance due to the missing of Bush and Dupree? I guess some of that poor performance when playing the stains can be attributed to no Bush and no Dupree. However, I have to ask about the other starters who seemed to all have been “No-Shows” as well. How do we give up 48 points and at home? Even without Bush and Dupree this was inexcusable. It was eerily similar to the given up 45 points to the Jaguars in that playoff game a few years ago.

So given all of this, I again think we could have handled the Chiefs this season if our Defense was at Full-Strength. However, and besides that, even at full-strength this team has to break-out of that “Nowhere to be Found Syndrome” as exhibited in our last two playoff appearances that were discussed above. We have the talent. So, IMO, our Coaches also have to share a good portion of the blame in our last two playoff appearances, that again, were both “Disgusting” and “Embarrassing”. We are so much better than that.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how would we know if butler could call that type of game because MT doesn't trust him enough to call the game, tomlin does it. pretty sad, yet butler stays. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    If a playoff game, No. Have to see this group actually play well in a playoff game first period, then see if they could help win one

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i would agree. Losing DuPree really sunk us on D. We weathered Bush some, but then Spillane went down. Now - could Butler coach that up? Not sure. AND - our offense does not help our D so they would have been sucking O2 all night last night. Tampa was rested b/c TB12 and Co sustained drives and scored points.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    agree

we suck in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Im not sure Tomlin call the Defense as much asd everyone thinks, yes its been mentioned he called a game here and there, but overall , meh, supposidly he called the game the last time we played Clev... SOOOO:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I really don't think he's making all the calls. I have not missed watching a game since 1997. So. Saying that I've watched all of Tomlin. Never once did it look like he was calling D all game. Remember not saying he doesn't call a play here or there, or even overruling a call. I have never seen him look like he was calling D the whole game. I think someone made that up.

18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    A fully healthy KC or the one that played last night?

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This story is overblown, Tomlin doesn't call the defense for the whole game, every now and then you will see him with a small playsheet in his hand during parts of the game. He might make calls in certain situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    let's review, our last game was a playoff game. Those are pretty important games. Why the regular season but not in the playoff game. How does he determine which ones he will or won't call? Isn't that why you hire a Dc? C'Mon man. :cool:

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The one that played last night. Only scenario being presented to us given the fact that the Tampa Bay Defense is being celebrated for such. That said, a fully healthy Steelers Defense can do the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

How well did our Defense play in our lst game playoff game That Tomlin suppisdly called?

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Whatttttt!!!:cool:

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That Chiefs OL was horrible. Too many backups and playing out of position. Add to that the fact that their top receiver was Kelce when they needed a better blocking TE. Edwards-Helaire is a midget who can't pick up rushers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    If week one roster on defense was playing. I believe so. They are the best defense in the league when fully healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1