1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What are real expectations for next year or two?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dan Marino feels you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
  3. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If Tomlin can win more than 19 games the next 2 years, he is a great coach.

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

I do not think we chatted in a while so, "Hello" my friend.

Yes, in part with all of my Ben "Advocacy" over the past month or so, yes again, the Quarterback is the most critical position on our team. End of story. I am open-minded to "rational"-minded" suggestions from all here based on fact. Some may counter that I am not thinking rationally. I believe I am. I have made my stance with critical points from Medical/Science observations to getting a Running Game and Balancing the Offense.

And to those "some", please do not give me that so-called "stellar" one-game stains' performance by Mason as our QB solution going forward. Admittedly, it is a "start" and it better be for him. I am pulling for Mason, always have been. How many times have we seen this before. A guy breaks a big run, or two, in Pre-Season and some here think he is our next Bus or Franco. Only to have him "cut" a few weeks later. Given that, Ben is still our best option at winning going forward IMO.

I am open for suggestions folks. If Mason is our best QB option going forward, then stop there. I advocated for Andy Dalton. And although he is not lighting it up in Dallas all the arrows were pointing up to make an argument to go get him for here.
    • Career winning record.
    • Good career statistics.
    • Knows our Division.
    • Has a winning record in our division except against us (smile).

Some said Dalton's price tag was to high. Then it went from $17 Million to Dallas signing him for three. Then some said he did want to be a Back-Up in Pittsburgh. Wrong again. He was until Dak got hurt.

I would then, and still would now, take Dalton over any QB we have on our Team other than Ben. However, that ship sailed and was a missed, more like a "blown" opportunity by Steelers' Management IMO.

The following is not pointing at you Roonatic. I think(?) we agree about Ben or least in part.

I think I will keep posting the below from here on in as I continually rebuttal to keep Ben. Again, More "Rational Thinking" and hard facts.

Ben's Final 2020 Season Statistics.

Not bad at all. Again, I go by facts folks, not emotions. They are actually really good. However, notice the Low Passing Yards. That is due to "Protecting" the Elbow with the "Dink and Dunk" that we saw so much of. Again, no Running Game contributed to this big time. Now, IMO, the second half of the Colt's game, is more of a preview for next season.

• Passing Completion Percentage: 65.6%
    • Passing Yards: 3,803
    • TDS: 33
    • INTS: 10
    • QBR: 94.1

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think that this team next season will be competing for the division title with Baltimore and Cleveland. I could see us winning 12 games again or winning 8 lol In all honesty there is so much up in the air at this point it is hard to make a real prediction. I think Canada will help the offense (hard to imagine anyone being worse than Fichtner) and if we can be an above average offense that is top 10 in red zone efficiency, then there's no reason not to expect playoffs. The Ravens are likely a 10 win team again, and the Browns could be anything. A tougher schedule and not going 7-1 in games decided by 6 points or less means that they theoretically should regress in their win total. A 10 win season is possible for them, but so is a 6 win season (if they go sub 500 in close games). This team should easily be in the running for the division and a wild card spot in 2021. Division record (wins vs Balt and Cle) should determine the season for us.

Long term I actually think we are in awesome shape. We have a solid option behind Ben in Rudolph who might not ever be a top end starting QB, but very easily could be a Tannehill/Fitzpatrick-esque guy that is good enough to win games on teams that have good defenses and either a good OL or running game. We will likely tie a lot of money up in our stud defensive players and the core of Fitzpatrick/Watt/Bush is nearly as dynamic as Polamalu/Harrison/Farrior (close at least, not saying that its exactly the same). That is an excellent core to build around and having other really good players in Heyward, Tuitt, and Nelson should make our defense top flight for the forseeable future. Essentially we need to rebuild the OL and add a good RB, develop our young WR's that have potential, and figure out the heir apparent to Ben. I understand QB's are hard to come by, but we have a good transition option until we find our next franchise QB. Our holes in the OL shouldnt be too hard to fix (especially since we already look like we found a guard in Dotson). Centers aren't the hardest to replace, and we will likely be drafting a T in the draft. Decastro is around for a bit longer and Banner/Chuks should get it done at RT. RB is a priority, but quality RB's can be had in the mid rounds of the draft and can be signed in FA rather cheaply.

If we draft well and get a bit lucky in our search for the next QB, it wouldn't shock me to be a team that competes for the division title every year while we "rebuild" our team into the next iteration of Super Bowl contention. We could easily transition seamlessly. However if we draft poorly or go in a bad direction at QB we could struggle and squander a high quality defense. The good news is that it appears that our cap struggles are a one year thing, and if played properly we should come out of the other side ok.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers are gonna be mediocre as long as Popcorn is coach. Let's hope Popcorn moves on to his life's work which he will be very good at.... Studio Analyst for either CBS, Fox, ESPN, NFL Network, etc. He would be much better at that job than Head Coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think he’s be a very successful college head coach. He’d be a recruiting machine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Debbie Downer would be a much better Steeler fan, when is Heinz moving on?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Cute meme lol I have 3 paragraphs for you to have some discourse with... And if you read my post past the first couple sentences you would know that my optimism is contingent on a few things happening and admit there are plausible scenarios we could very well squander our opportunity to come out of this transition seamlessly. Do you have any counter points or reasoning of why I am mistaken (or as you put it, willfully have my head up my a** because discomfort scares me)? Care to add anything more than a single sentence of dismay that we resigned Roethlisberger?

I’m up for some discussion if you’d like. I’m fine if you just want to disagree and move on too. I just don’t understand the condescending meme if the latter is true? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Unless the O-line suddenly becomes 2005-caliber.... Steelers are going nowhere. Doesn't matter if Rudolph or Ben is QB. Too many holes to compete for a Super Bowl and too much competition within the division with Bengals, Browns and Ravens improving.

12. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I'm calling my shot now:

Ben is the starter for 2021. He's average, the Steelers finish +- 1 game of .500, and Ben retires.

Mason Rudolph is the starter for 2022. He's also average, and the Steelers decide to move in a new direction.

Meanwhile, Detroit drafts a QB early this year. Goff is their starter for 2021, with the rookie taking over in 2022.

Following the 2022 season, Goff is cut with zero cap hit and the Steelers pick up their new starter.

TL;DR: Jared Goff is the 2023 starter for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe we will see a dropoff of the Browns ,and Ravens next year. By at least 2 games. Bengals on the way up. IMO. If Ben comes back , and plays all year. We win the division. No lower than 2nd in the division. LoL.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Boo. Dr. Who. I hope that's not what happens

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think we can compete for awhile. Probably need to get lucky to make a championship appearance. I would settle for a playoff game as of now.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Please, I try and not think about DM. No Danny on Steelers = 2-3 Super Bowl opportunities kaput. Can you only imagine what if....

17. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    As much as the OL failed us and needs to be our highest of priority, I think we can make this issue go away with the draft and some diamonds in the rough that we sometimes find. Not saying we're going bowling, but possibly doing better than expected (hit optimistic button now).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I expect our 1rst round pick to be in the mid 20's nxt year, the folowing year picking in the mid to early teens . As usual Wash and repeat every few years....:hmm:......:tequila:

19. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    So we're entering a new Dark Ages again. Very possible but I wouldn't bet on what we do either way at this point.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No way 2 prove that. I could just say something like that. That is equally unprovable. LoL. Just made myself laugh.