1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooneys End of Year Presser

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 25, 2021.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well, for one, the fact that Art Rooney simply does not see a rebuild necessary is a sign at least rolling the dice on Haskins. Granted, he did say there will be a possibility the team will be adding another QB but in what fashion remains to be seen. For all we know it could be a veteran backup who could teach Haskins some things Big Ben simply is not going to.

For two, Dwayne Haskins being brought in is a low risk yet high reward as Haskins does have the talent to be successful in this league. How successful though is the problem as it is still unclear if Haskins is truly into being great or not in the NFL given his checkered past.

The most important aspect though is three; Big Ben and Mason Rudolph's contracts expire in 2022 pending Big Ben's restructure. That said, even if Big Ben has his contract carry over until 2023, I doubt he will stay for another season past this one. In addition, while Art Rooney II did state that Mason Rudolph can be a starter in this league, he never specified if that future is with the team. Granted, Dwayne's is a one year flier but I do not foresee a scenario in which the team lets him walk should he show that he is capable of being in this league; essentially a prove it year.

Should that happen, Haskins becoming something would pay off in quite a way. That said, too many unknowns for me. All the more reason why I say that, despite the fact Art Rooney II stating there will likely be another QB added to the room, him and the team not going to rebuild any time soon is possibly the biggest hint he might have given out.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not saying I disagree. That said, something is off here with those two statements for me. His first statement about not rebuilding and his second statement about bringing a QB in. Again though, there is insufficient information to draw any major conclusions but I doubt the team is going to draft a QB early or sign a high priced one in Free Agency. A veteran backup would be the most likely scenario here.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    To me it just means that Rooney is saying the Steelers will never throw away seasons on a rebuild, they will try and be as competitive as they can to win the division and then try to advance further. They are never going to burn it down and sacrifice 2 or 3 seasons while starting from scratch.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True.

That said, it could mean something else. Keep in mind that the hypothetical veteran QB does not have to be a four year deal. Could be two. Could never happen!! :lolol:

All I was stating was that there is more to Haskins than just merely a prove it deal. Pittsburgh wins either way. Haskins panning out though will be immense. :eek:

5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They don't need a total rebuild and don't need to take 2-3 years, but pushing Ben and Haden and Pouncey and DD and Heyward's money to the future will lengthen the stay in purgatory -- good enough to compete for a playoff berth, not good enough to win it all.

Cut the old guys, trade back in the draft, get back in contention in 2022. You can win with a rookie QB if you build your team the right way.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't see that linkage to Haskins at all. If anything, they may have overconfidence in Rudolph being the heir apparent and bring able to resign him long term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I’m with a lot of people here his comments and endorsement for Tomlin moving forward is just not good enough. Tomlin while he hasn’t been a complete failure the results overall just aren’t good enough the last 10 years and in particular the last 3-4 years with these late season collapses. For Rooney to say Tomlin is his coach of the future and that he is that confident in Tomlin moving forward is just inexcusable in my mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Marshmallow.png

Marshmallow Art II. Blinders...

They will extend Ben and more of the same will happen, they were going to do it anyway unfortunately. And Tomlin got a lifetime gig. Pathetic.
    No surprise coming from this marshmallow. And Sunday he will reveal his thoughts on the putrid run game! :lolol: We have to get baaaack, baba baaaack to running the football. Its the same gif over and over and all gets a pass...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I can see Tuitt but Heyward would push money into a player not worth the risk as he will probably be finished and they will have another Woodley issue paying big to someone not on the roster. He just signed a huge deal. Mindless.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well...

We will have to wait and see!! Nothing is set in stone yet, my good sir. :drinks:

12. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Hope you guys enjoy the coming contract extension for MT.

13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Rooney has basically said status quo. The fact that he is talking about an extension with Tomlin and making excuses that the team was prepared vs. Cleveland, is all we need to know. I am glad to hear that they will be doing something with Roethlisberger's cap hit. While I do not agree with Rooney wanting to extend Tomlin and saying the team was prepared, I still have some hope that the organization has a desire to compete. I am hoping the next Rooney has more of his grandfather's genes than his dad's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dan Rooney would have kept Tomlin if he was still around. I'm not sure why so many people here think otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Dan Rooney would have also held Tomlin accountable for the late season collapses, by telling him how to get it fixed. Art II just makes excuses for Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, keeping him, and sticking your head up your ass and pretending everything is fine, are two different things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of you are hearing what you want to hear.

No, Art Rooney II isn't his father. The list of owners who have as good for their franchise as Dan Rooney is extremely short.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t get the Art hate. It’s not Art II way, it’s the Rooney way. They have never fired a HC.

How many HC would have survived the 80’s like Noll did. Cower had several losing seasons, one under .500

Fact is, I think Art II has his finger on the team more than any of his family did. Retiring Arians, steering them towards Haley, retiring LeBeau.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Some forget how bad the 80's were.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    How can I hear what I want to hear, when I haven't heard anything different than what I heard the past four or five years? Art II says he wants to extend Tomlin. I don't want to hear that. I want to hear that Tomlin needs to have stronger finishes. I want hear that that we need a more balanced offense. I want to hear Roethlisberger has to be under center more, so that a running game can be developed.

It is more about seeing than hearing anyway.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    [QUOTE="Blast Furnace, post: 857257, member: 6"Cower had several losing seasons, one under .500[/QUOTE]

Which is it? several losing seasons or one under .500? Impossible for both of these statements to be true.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Bad seasons, one under .500

Edit: Correction, he had 3 seasons under .500

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not status quo, they will have a new OC, probably a new QB coach and a new feature RB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    DB coach Teryl Austin and RB coach Eddie Faulkner both signed 2 year contracts.

• Informative Informative x 1