1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Ebron: Intentionally funny or just goofy?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016

Ebron has done a few things that made me laugh. I'm just not sure if it is intentional humor or not.

That said, compared to Heath Miller, he does suck.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I think he dropped more passes this yr than heath has his entire career

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Ebron isn't even close to Miller. He slowed down his last few seasons, but some people tend to forget that Miller was also very athletic. He could make big plays down the seams. He was also a tremendous blocker. Ebron isn't even a willing blocker most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    They did not showcase Heath enough, perhaps his blocking prevented that. When they needed him he seemed to be always there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Well...Maybe he is smarter than he looks!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's saying it lightly about Ebron. I can think of 3 easy Tds right off my head if he just .....kinda blocked.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There was a time when he was featured in the redzone quite often . No not his whole career, but there were a couple of years .

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    heath.jpg

"That's Jesse James replacement. Not mines!"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Many of us knew about the drops when they signed him. I remember him dropping a couple in a game against the Steelers when he was still with the Lions.

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    This team is full of clowns.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They should just throw Ebon in the WR room.

Bring in a whole new TE group ... Gentry and Rader feel like they have been here forever and haven't really developed at all.

14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Ebron had 7 drops this year. Unfortunately, I cannot find any stats on Miller for drops.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben not the greatest with Ball placement nor did Ben throw a lot of tight spirals.. I not blaming all the drops on the QB but a lot of them he did his guys no favors....

You make that Diamond on a tight spiral and catch the front the ball almost feels glued to your hands , now if that thing has a tail wobble much harder to catch ...

I am sure no one on the Team wanted to state that 'our starting NFL QB can't throw a tight spiral..

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not as down on Ebron as others are. I’m not sure how much Canada involves his TE’s in the passing game but I could see Ebron reaching the 700 yards mark again and TD’s closer to 13 like he had in 2018 if it’s part of Candas game plan.

I think you will definitely see a blocking TE brought in as Canadas offense has more of a focus on the ground game.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His last season here he had 2 drops but the year before, he had 7.

He normally averaged between 2-4 drops though. He had sure hands.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Didn't he drop a Td the year before against us....when we played Indy ?

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm mainly down on Him...well...because he doesn't seem like a willing participant in blocking. Like he doesn't even care, or something.

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

I was very happy when I heard we picked up Ebron. Given that, he definitely lacks some "Commitment" seemingly to take his game to higher levels. He is a very good "Receiver". Yes, I know he has had his share of drops. On the other hand, he has also made some terrific catches. I believe if he really dedicated himself to honing in on the craft of "Catching" the ball consistently, he could become a very good Wide Receiver type Tight End if that makes sense. That is where my "Commitment" comment comes in. I think he can be a really good catching TE. I mean really good. However, I just do not know if he is dedicated to put in that kind of work.

The other half of the story is "Blocking" which is almost non-existent with him. That is not good. Thus, we needed to have two people to do the job of one TE. Ebron-Catch and McDonald-Block. Even given that, there is always room for improvement; for every Steeler in every facet of their positions.

I like the guy but he needs to get more serious IMO if he wants to be a consistent "Top-Tier" Tight End. Also Ben seems to like him a lot and does have a chemistry with him. Also, if we lose JuJu, we are going to need him in the Passing Game even more.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Ebron is serviceable, but he's not good enough to carry Heath's shorts

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So, for ****s and giggles I decided to look up Ebron’s blocking grades because everyone is saying how bad he is and truthfully, it didn’t really stick out to me but I’ve gotten away from watching the ALL 22 the last 2 years, last year because of Ben went down and wasn’t really interested in dissecting the team knowing they weren’t going anywhere with Rudolph and Hodges and this year with covid and not knowing how the season would play out, I just never got into watching film. So, just took everyone’s word for it, I mean I don’t think I ever locked in on Ebron to see how he blocks during the games, I watch the ball carrier or the QB. I also got to thinking because I read Kaboly a lot and he kept commenting on how much Ebron has improved as a blocker so I thought, let me check this out and while he isn’t great at it, he’s not horrible either. He’s in line with a handful of people I compared him to.

Kittle is the best at it, all around, better at pass blocking though, Kelce is good at run blocking but not so good at pass blocking. Vance surprised me, except for Brate, he graded out the worst. Brate, ironically I chose because I thought he was considered a run blocking TE who could catch but he is awful at both.

He had a terrible season with drops, only one other season he had this many. If he can correct that, I think he’s fine as our TE. Still definitely need to draft one, and probably bring one in via FA, too.

RBLK PBLK
    Kelce: 78.4 - 50.5

Kittle: 62.8 - 75.1

Vance: 54.9 - 44.2

Brate: 46.0 - 49.5

Henry: 68.8 - 53.9

Hooper: 58.9 - 63.2

Ebron: 51.3 - 63.7