1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is not a top tier QB any longer. He is no longer mobile to extend the plays which was his style. Yes, he threw for 501 yards against the Browns, but that was with all the dink and dunk passing with 47 completions at 10.7 yard avg. Unfortunately, rather pedestrian. Ben is not mobile, no arm strength, with no accuracy. Mason Rudolph is not mobile, has arm strength and accuracy downfield. He may not have the experience of Ben, but he gives us a better chance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Here is a pretty big list of 2021 QB draft prospects.

https://gbnreport.com/2021-qb-ranking/

QUESTION: Where would that Cincinnati Bearcat QB fit in there if he had declared for the draft.

Anyway, I don't watch hardly any college fb but I'm thinking there just might be some very
    overlooked/underrated QB's in that freaking bunch. Considering the complete disarray college fb was in due to that covid crap.

One thing I do trust on these new Steelers is the scouting. I wouldn't be surprised if the next sound Steeler QB is in that bunch and is gettable.

Come on draft gurus get on it.

3. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Let's face it he will be back. They will likely extend him with salary only to spread the dead money out over a few seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Glenn we have a broken down 40 year old QB. No RB. And the line could be worse if that is even possible this upcoming season.

Let’s say they draft an O Lineman Rd 1 who is starter capable that means we have 2/5 pieces of an OL potentially. And this is assuming the rookie is that good.

We are looking at at least 3 years before this offense could be rebuilt into anything resembling a decent unit.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers won't win playoff games next season with or without Ben so why not just start over instead of being just good enough to not get a top draft pick?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    they will win 8 or 9 without him, probably 10 or 11 with him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The same receivers that had 5 different guys score 5 or more TDs this season, Ben is 38 and coming off elbow surgery, let him have Wednesdays off.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Are you saying that we can't draft another Dotson in a later round?

9. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    With him and the necessary changes to the roster because of ineffectiveness and the cap, they are not going to the playoffs. I don't see it. They need a left tackle, a right guard, possibly a center, a running back, and inside line backer and depth at same. They need depth in the secondary and possibly should start looking at partially retooling the defensive line. As Chuck Noll used to like to say, "There are problems and they are many." So no, Ben needs to retire, forced or otherwise or released outright. All keeping him around is going to do is cost the Steelers another year of a rebuild.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

There is one actually.

Aaron Banks; University of Notre Dame. Top 150 player on my board who will fly under the radar. Look him up and just watch him go to work in the Running Game. He definitely needs to get that weight down but the potential and talent is there for Banks to greatly outplay his draft position.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Not necessarily. Cleveland's line was bad in 2019, drafted a T in the first, signed a former 1st round T in FA, the interior l developed nicely around that and this year were perhaps the best in football. We really don't know what Banner (if they can resign him) can do, Chuks on the L just might surprise..Dotson was a real find. You get a T or C, and next year you are in better shape to perhaps find the Vet leader in FA. I am not delusional, but it's not as far out asyou make it. The real thing is can they find a QB that is good enough to learn, and play well enough on a rookie contract.

12. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Yep! That pretty much sums it up, and its a load.

You also might have added the D which has been a major strength the past two years just might be getting some age on it. And it is also possible the secondary could lose one of the starting corners. On Savran's show Tuesday the guest said one of the CB's could be a cap casualty. Possibly Haden who is now 32. I would not like to see that. Has anyone noticed that the end of the Steelers season came right after Haden went out with a concussion in the Washington game?

And if I read these boards correctly many are still not sold on Minka's safety partner. Hard to believe, it's been 6-7 years since Polamalu and Ryan Clark left, yet neither was replaced in the draft.

I looked at a bunch of mocks, 4 out of 6 had an OT rd 1. 1 a DT rd1 but OL rd2 and 1 a RB [Harris OSU] rd 1. The DT did surprise me, but when you think about it , even though Alualu was more then adequate replacing Hargrave, he is 34?.

I suppose what this is saying is that those who for some time now suspected that this new regime would lead this team to the craphouse just might be right. Meanwhile the search for a championship calibre QB replacement ought to be given some consideration. Don't you think? But me personally, am optimistic that Steeler knowhow will solve all these problems and be just fine.

However of course, there is that matter of finding another championship calibre QB replacement to consider.
    Don't you think? LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben will not be cajoled into retiring. Unless the Steelers get hard headed and cut him, Ben will be back. And I see zero evidence that the organizations positive comments regarding Ben aren’t a genuine desire for him to return.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I do not get why Big Ben would walk away from $21 Million Dollars just sitting there with his name on it. That said, to get that money, there has to be some concessions here. One of which is to allow the Offensive Coordinator to have full autonomy of the Offense and run it how he wants it to be. No more throwing 60+ times a game Big Ben.

Balance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    2005 and 2008 super bowl runs Ben had 26 average attempts and went over 30 only once.

Averaged 49 attempts per game from the 2nd Baltimore game to the playoffs. 68 attempts in the Cleveland game alone. 58 attempts in the jags playoff game. Most of that is from being behind though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    [​IMG]

Seriously though.....one more year if he can restructure, if they can commit to the run and not rely on a 39 year old to throw them to victory, and most importantly if they have a definitive transition plan in place for 2022.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A few huge problems .. Matt likes the zone scheme and lots of motion, 1 if not the best play from zone is the zone read..The RB pushes the A/B gap playside looking to cut back if the playside hole is not there and the back side Guard gets washed....Now comes the problem the QB is what allows the cut back to work the QB is what holds the backside DE so the RB has that lane..It is the bread and butter play and most of the Play Action and a solid portion of that style is based on this 1 Running play...

You dont have to have Lamar , but the QB must be at least a threat to keep and Boot out the Browns did a lot of damage to our D with exacly that ... Ben is zero threat and will hurt the run game by at least 50 % and will take 100% of the PA Boot game away ,,he simply cant physically do it....

21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    People trying to spin Ben coming back and accepting a back seat to a running game are only fooling themselves. Next year is going to be brutal. Embrace the tank and get a QB in 2022

22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Probably accounted for some portion of the INTs, too.

If he’s lost velocity or otherwise needs to make an adjustment to hitting his targets, that argues for *more* practice so he can learn to control and effectively use his current physical abilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I noticed late in the season his throwing motion had changed. His should was no longer just rotating when he threw the ball. His entire should moved forward more like he was pushing the ball out. I think he was trying to compensate for the weakened elbow. He may have started out the season throwing better, but I think the season took it's toll and his elbow was now a problem. The irony is his elbow injury was similar to Tommy Maddox's injury. I think when Maddox came back and was able to fill in, he no longer had zip on the ball and unfortunately floated a few out there for INTs.

24. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    So, when do you think Ben will announce his decision?

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think it’s necessarily Bens decision, at least not fully. He said himself after the Browns game that he needed to talk to the team and see what their intentions were.

I would not expect a decision either way until the final salary cap figure is known. That will have a huge bearing on what the team needs to do

• Agree Agree x 1