1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin resume the last 10 years...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    2011-Lost to Tebow in wildcard round enough said

2012 and 2013-Missed the playoffs both seasons

2014-One and Done loss at home to Ravens in the wildcard round

2015-Beat Bengals with AJ McCarron at QB in wildcard round barely mainly thanks to Burfict and Pac Man Jones shoving Joey Porter late in the game. Lost to Broncos the following week in the divisional round

2016-Beat the Dolphins with Matt Moore at QB and beat Chiefs and Alex Smith the following week with 6 Boswell FG’s, got blown out by Patriots the following week in the AFC Championship Game

2017- Finished 13-3 got embarrassed by the Jaguars in the divisional round at home allowing 45 points to Blake Bortles

2018- Started the season 7-2-1 lost 4 of their final 6 games and blew a 2.5 game lead in the division to the Ravens the last 6 weeks of the season and missed the playoffs

2019- Lost Ben the 2nd game of the season still managed to get to 8-5 and in a good spot to make the playoffs but then lost the final 3 games one was to a bad Jets team and missed the playoffs at 8-8

2020-Started 11-0 lost 5 of final 6 games including the playoffs and got absolutely humiliated at home by the Browns giving up 48 points to them and going one and done in the playoffs

My point here with all of this is what has Mike Tomlin done looking at that body of work the last 10 years I just pointed out to warrant him getting an extension or for that matter for anybody to believe that the Steelers are ever going to win a Super Bowl or even come close to one ever again with Tomlin leading the way. The bottom line is it’s over here for Tomlin. Enough is enough and it’s just time to make a change.

The sooner the Rooney’s realize this the better and the longer they don’t realize it and they keep Tomlin around the longer he will hold this franchise and this organization back from getting that potential 7th Super Bowl title. Tomlin has had enough time and has had enough chances here but it’s over and it’s time for a new coach and a fresh start. And until the Steelers realize this too they will never ever ever come close to another Super Bowl title with Mike Tomlin leading the way.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 5
    • Winner x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • Against The Rules x 1
  2. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    You know you could've just commented on one of the other 50 threads echoing the same sentiment "Fire Tomlin" that most on this board is so obsessed with and your question would have been answered in every one of them. Why start another thread "preaching to the choir"?

You think the Rooney's have someone scouring Steeler fan forums hoping to get our opinion on the matter? You're certainly not going to get an answer that hasnt already been stated literally 100s of times already. It's time to give it a rest. If he wasn't fired by year's end then he's here to stay for another year. Might as well talk about something else that's going to make a difference or continue to pile on in the comment section of the previous 50 threads.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    fire tomlin

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Thats where Im at on this in where I just dont see Tomlin an Ben leaving this year. Are they untouchable? On paper maybe.

Or maybe its my age or my style but taking emotion out of it like a game day thread..it appears that generally speaking...the fanbase wants to blow the team up and see major change.

I look at those organizations in major league sports and see the turnover of GMs, coaches, players and I guess I what I am saying is I like stability but I must be in the minority and Im not saying that Im a fan of stagnation also.

Im as confusd as ever on who is just taking the blame and accountability in the medias eyes and who is the puppet in 2021.

I always say in the Front Office I trust.... but is Colbert and a Cap dept the front office and ownership looks at the bottom line over putting a winning product of a Lombardi contending team every year? I want to say of course but I would love to see a counter argument that may argue this for a healthy look outside my B & G glasses.

What if next year is Bens and Tomlins last year? There may be need for a stop gap QB to get out of cap hell.

So this leads to the Oline situation where I think we can all agree needs reevaluation. lol

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

*** Harbaugh's Record Is Updated To 75-53 in the Regular Season and 2-4 in the Post Season as of January 18th, 2021 ***

Again.....

[​IMG]

All this said, this is likely Tomlin's last chance. Should he fail this upcoming season... well...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The owners aren't going to pay a coach millions to do nothing so forget firing but ... his contract is up after 2021. I look for Tomlin to be somewhere else in 2022.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We will 100% have Tomlin one more year and then he will be gone. Not sure how the Steelers will word it when the years over. I don't see them saying, "Mike you're fired" it will be more like Mike has been an amazing asset to the Steeler organization bla bla bla and has decided to either retire to spend time with his family or wishes to step down for a few years.

Now should Mike wish to continue to coach he will attract a lot of attention from a lot of teams.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin won with Cowhers players and Big Ben's Deep Balls

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    145-78-1 is an amazing NFL Coaching record. Had Tomlin had the QB's the Steelers threw out there between Bradshaw and Ben that record would probably be 78-145-1.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Thats great and all and shows he can remain competitive but its all for not if you can't win in the playoff.s

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That comment was very erect...

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yes, but you're forgetting that magical Super Bowl run where they beat an 8-8 team without Ladainian Tomlinson, a 6th seed with a rookie coach and QB thanks to Troy's heroic play, and a 9-7 4th seed thanks to Ben, Santonio, and Deebo's historic plays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok, well let's go a step higher then. The Rooney's judgement calls and management, hasn't been the same since Dan passed away. The kids have let the steelers organization go to hell

14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Hey, You Hater lol!!!! Don't hit em with facts, He's great! And they'll come up with 2 things!

A) You're a Hater!

B ) Who's out there better!

And they think they're winning

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Well stated- I thought Steelers were about SB wins, now it's regular season wins n continuity W Head coaches??

80s were the dark ages for Steelers n fans, they had 3 playoff wins in that period with a string of hideous QBs

Tomlin is 3 n 7 in last 10 playoff games since 2011 w a franchise QB!

It's time, but Art is an empty suit

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What is this supposed to prove?
    Steelers fans are lucky Harbaugh has struggled, or the Steelers would never win the division. Same with Cleveland and Cincy struggling, although that might be changing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Aside from maybe the Dolphins win in 2016, I think our most inspired effort came in 2015 against the Broncos short-handed. Other than those two games, it seems like we can never match the intensity and effort other teams bring. We come out playing shell shocked and lackluster. You could just tell the Browns wanted it more and were better prepared. That's far from the first time this has happened.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Don't forget to add the distinction of Biggest collapse in NFL history to his resume.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Does anyone really have a good record without a QB though? Certainly not a 145-78-1 record anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Simple.

Stating that Tomlin is a complete failure in comparison to his contemporaries is unture. Some here would take John Harbaugh over Tomlin. That said, can any of us guarantee the results of these past 10 seasons would be any different?!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Bill Cowher and Joe Gibbs come to mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Okay, I misunderstood.

No one can guarantee anything regarding 'what ifs', too many variables.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    to be fair, the league is much different now. it's a quarterback's league. without a QB, you're basically screwed.. defenses cannot consistently dominate like they used to and run oriented teams cannot succeed without solid QB play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    In today's NFL if you have a good QB you better be competing in the playoffs. We've had a good QB and this year was no different. You'll never change anyone's mind. Some people don't like facts. Most people wanted to love Tomlin..and most people did love him during his first few seasons. Me included. Since 2011 the red flags have been everywhere. I just don't understand the ownership and FO still being on board. They don't seem to be making business decisions based on emotion or a personal like for Mike. I'm sure he's an awesome guy but in pro sports its all about what have you done lately. They seem to be in love with the idea of having a lifetime coach...much like you see in college programs. There's safety in that...but IMO there does come a time were change is good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    So is Glenn

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.