1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin was overconfident, again

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Minkah basically said the same thing. MT sets the tone, the culture. They were expecting to just show up and win. You could see the stunned look in their eyes at 14-0, when they realized the Browns had no intention of rolling over. This has been the pattern for 15 years.

Would have been better to play the Ravens in round one, they would have prepared with urgency, fear of losing, respect for their opponent, purpose.

So sick of this crap.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/m...it-i-didnt-anticipate-being-in-this-position/

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    As usual his failures result in his oc or dc getting fired

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is Football why would any Coach at any level not respect the game ? You have to prepare and respect each and every opponent... If all the guys show up and you have a good game plan and get a little luck any Team can beat anyone on a given day ... Prime example little old ASU beating #5 Michigan in their house years back..

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So we've now fired Arians, Haley and Fitchner. How many OC's do we have to go through before we acknowledge that the problem isn't the OC?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct
    it is part Ben, part MikeyT and yes, part OC.

we suck - and much more to come sooner than later. maybe two 6-10 seasons can get him out once and for all. no more contract extensions, please.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Until we get rid of Ben it doesnt matter who the OC is.. Maybe we can actually get a good OC and good game plan with no Ben.. I would just like to see a Offense where one play builds into the next.. Even at the HS level we would have 4 or 5 ways to run the same running play and we would have 4 or 5 different pass plays off that 1 run play we would also have at least 1 trick play on that same run play..Then you start using personnel for that 1 set and 1 play to create mismatches..

This is how you build a game plan , run the damn ball , run play action , and create mis matches and you need to do that with every set ...So a good OC can take 4 running plays and create an entire playbook and the D will never be able to key run or pass or the routes being run on the PA.. This is what I want to see..

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Good points. People refuse to acknowledge the OC game plan is centered around what Ben can do. There is alot now Ben cant do so they have to design plays which allow him to be successful. He is not any longer. Seems like he lost alot of his abilities to move around and scramble and make a plan after contact. His dink and dunk worked for awhile until defenses caught on and realised Bens limited playing potential.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Tomlin over confident? Looking ahead? No, No it can't be :hehehe:

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Not to mention the defense was creating turnovers and giving us short fields

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I don't think it's what Ben can or can't do more so what he's willing to do. There's a lot he doesn't wanna do like qb sneak, go under center, run.. he's a selfish a hole who's hurting this team more then helping

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think it anything singularly. I would expect its what I posted and what you said combined.

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Thats i I cant take it anymore. Have to leave the board.

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This team reeks of over confidence. That is what I have been saying about the JuJu / Claypool comments. It's not so much what they said, as it is the fact that they spoke period. Over confidence is a trend that has gone on year after year. It starts at the top, and it trickles down.

What makes it even worse is that the Steelers have no justification for feeling over confidence ever. It's a lot like a child that keeps touching a hot oven over and over again. You get burned every time, but you just wont stop doing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You're assuming that AR2 actually has the ability to acknowledge that.

They are run like a secret society. You can't change old rituals and traditions!

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Both Ben and Tomlin will be gone after next season. With it being a tough schedule their gift to us for having to put up with their doo doo for so many years will be a top 10 pick.

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :rolleyes:

17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I think Ben wants to be like Brady, and pick you apart with short passes with YAC. Problem is he's not nearly as accurate or smart as Brady. Ben checks into stupid plays or refuses to check out of bad ones every game.

His game was extending plays, which he can't do anymore.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would like to see a more business approach myself. Cocky is another word I’d use. Tomlin says the right things, about respecting opponents but I don’t think that message is taken to heart.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Top 10 pick with tomlin and Ben gone? That’s hitting the Steelers lottery lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Recent evidence would suggest overconfidence, which is projected on the team

2017 vs Jacksonville - talking about the next week's matchup with New England - oops
    2018 vs Raiders - keeping Dobbs in during a close game because he felt that the game was under control - oops
    Sunday vs. the Browns - nuff said there....

I've given him the benefit of the doubt many times over. Sunday was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I know he's staying, so I'm not going to start going on useless "fire Tomlin" tirades, but I'm really done with him. He has to reestablish confidence with me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    How can any professional team who's 1-4 entering the playoffs be over confident? Whatever the coach believes, the players are also at fault. They should realize they are vulnerable to any team after so many examples of playing down to our competition.

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's the only thing that I can cheer for next season lol My Toronto Maple Laughs have trained me well for times like these.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Playing down to competition and overlooking opponents. Definitely a bad trend for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin vs the scrutiny...

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  25. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    2 words - Mike Tomlin lol