1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

First Steelers Game?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt

Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2018
    How old were you when you attended your first Steelers game? Who was the opponent and score?

Ironically my first Ravens game was against the Steelers. It was the game Tommy Maddox got hurt and Big Ben made his debut and the rest is history I suppose. Ravens won 30-13 but it worked out well for your franchise.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't remember the year, but it was the first time we played Seattle since we beat them in the SB. I think we won 21-0 or something like that. It was a scorching hot day and I was so hungover. Just cooked in the stands, but was a great game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Raiders game back in the day. We got smacked around.

• Like Like x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Would have been against the Chargers back in the mid-70s

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Probably sometime in the late 70's or very early 80's. Hell I can't remember what I did last weekend. 38+ years ago? forgetaboutit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    2005 or 2006 in Jacksonville for a 9-0 loss. Was in the Navy at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The first Steelers game I attended did not turn out so well.

Cleveland 51 Steelers 0 at Three Rivers.

I made my Dad stay until the game was over. He didn't want to. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    My first Steelers game was against the ravens there was a couple ravens fans there and I made their lives miserable for three hours. Threw an old-school beat down on a couple ravens fans in the tailgate parking lot a few years ago. They didn’t put up much of a fight they’re usually pretty soft.

• Like Like x 2
  9. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

About 40 years ago when I was just a young lad my dad took me to a Oklahoma Sooners Vs. Pitt Panthers game at the old stadium at the top of the hill and I remember walking up to the stadium being mesmerized. My Dad bought me souvenirs and shirts. I was totally excited. The Sooners crushed Pitt 49-0 and we stayed til the very last second. I kept asking why we were staying when half the stadiums was already empty. My dad said he would never leave a game that his team was playing in no matter what. To this day, I never leave a game early.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt

Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I agree there no matter the sport I never leave because my luck there would be a crazy comeback and I’d be pissed at myself

11. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    2004 Steelers-Browns week 5... Ben's 3rd start. The hype was through the roof because everyone realized we finally had a franchise QB again. Probably my favorite Steelers season ever, despite the end result.

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    My first game at Pitt Stadium was a Pittsburgh Maulers game. :lolol: My Father and I still have the goofy promotional Maulers hats from that night.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

The Maulers were actually a pretty fun team to watch from what I remember.

15. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Only game I've ever been to. I was like 6 years old at three rivers. 1982, Browns vs Steelers. Bradshaw and Paul MacDonald were the Qb's. It was Jack Ham's last regular season game.

Really, the only thing I remember was there was a big 3rd down for the Brown's and the fans were going nuts. The freakin bleachers were bouncing up and down like 6 inches. And I remember we forced MacDonald to call timeout because the crowd was too loud. Which of course made them go more nuts.

Got the tickets from Tom Beasley. My dad was friends with quite a few Steelers. Moon Mullins has been at my house. I went small game hunting with him. We frequently went to Beasley's farm down in Greene County.

Went golfing, and later helped him with his swing when he became our high school football coach, with Ted Petersen. Great guy.

Also went golfing with Mel Blount at Fallen Timber(now known as Quicksilver) when I was around 12. Really funny guy. Never stopped telling stories. That's what I remember most about him. And that cowboy hat. lol

There was another time at Mt. Lebanon Country Club where my dad played with a bunch of them. I was only 9 or 10 so my dad didn't allow me to play. But, he let me kinda be a caddy for everyone. I'd hold the pin and stuff. Clean golf balls. The only one I remember explicitly is Lynn Swan. I rode in his cart for a couple holes. Obviously I was excited. lol He was very nice to me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    1988, Steelers at Washington. Steelers lose a close game on a last minute field goal. Brister threw long TD passes to Louis Lipps and Dwight Stone.

This was the season after Washington had won the Super Bowl. Tickets were unbelievably hard to come by. Washington fans were obsessed with their team, but knew very little about anyone on the Steelers. I remember when Lipps caught an 80 yard bomb early in the game, that you could have heard a pin drop in that stadium.

17. decalbomb777

decalbomb777 Active Member

Jan 15, 2019
    A couple years ago when the Steelers played the Chiefs on monday night and blew them out.
    Just before the Mahomes era.

18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    1969 Pittsburgh hosted the Detroit Lions at Pitt Stadium. I was 14. Pittsburgh won the game by 3 points I think. It was Joe Greene's first game as a Steelers. My Sister and her husband took me to the game.

19. Hearts / Steelers

Hearts / Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Seven years ago I think it was, the Bucs, and lost.
    Been to another two since, Bengals which we won and most recently the Ravens on a Sunday night when we stunk the joint out.

One out of three ain't bad. :rolleyes:

20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been a fan since the 70s, but it wasn't until last season that I went to a game. I was 47, and it was the December 1st game where Duck started and the Steelers beat the Browns in Pittsburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  21. gumbygolf

gumbygolf Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I've been to 3 games total.
    1st game was 2003 in Seattle we lost 23-16.
    2nd game was 2005 in Pittsburgh (Surprise 10th anniversary present from my wife). Lost to Cincinnati 38-31. Last loss that year on our way to the Superbowl. Also believe that was the Whosyourmama terrible towel video.
    3rd game was 2017 in Kansas City. we won(left the wife at home, she is cursed) 19-13

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This is close (in appearance) but it was 12 years or so later at Forbes Field - also against Philly. Yes, I've been around awhile. School was so much easier back then, history wasn't even a subject yet (right JEH?)

Tix.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Had a job at the Hoosier Dome so watched for free. :smiley1:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198410210clt.htm
    :facepalm:

My first NFL game ever:

Browns at Colts in Memorial Stadium.

Weird because the Colts moved to my hometown & the Browns moved to Baltimore.
    Was rooting against Baltimore...lol Some things never change.

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    1965 Packers 41 Steelers 9 Only way I remembered score was by looking it up. I was a youngster and me sister's husband took me. I had won tickets delivering the Pittsburgh Press. (is that still a paper?)

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Seeing you are a golfer I wanted to share this story with you. My nephew was a club pro for years in New Jersey. One day he called me up and said he was golfing with Lawrence Taylor of the NYG. I was invited but could not go. Later in the day he calls me up all pissed off. They were playing for a decent amount of money and he found out Taylor lied about his handicap and cheated him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1