1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3-4 defense is cooked. We need to switch to 4-3.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    And how many of them are in there cause of injuries? Like it or not when you have multiple injuries it affects everyone. Now everyone must compensate for the talent loss. Unlike our team other teams dont just roll in here and do the same things over and over and over again. we played the browns 3 times this year and our defense looked different each time. We lost two stud linebackers and then lost replacements as well.

And i will state it again when you go to work and have to double up and triple up cause your coworkers (the offense) arent giving you any help you become fatigued, tired, injured, mental lapses. Thats all a big part of it.

Our Wonderful Ccoach that can never seem to have a team prepared doesnt help either. Trot out there what ever base defense you want and throw in everything i just mentioned and watch every defense falter.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

we were stopping the run until injuries started to happen. You cant lose two of your main guys on either side of the ball and not effect it to have some consequences. Problem is we had a surprisingly good replacement for bush that played pretty gun, remember him stuffing Henry? But then he got hurt too. My point all along has been that injuries will happen but when your defense is constantly on the field cause the offense cant sustain a drive to save their lives (especially in the first half of games) well then your chance of injuries goes way up. Just so happens that it happened to us.

Sprinkle in some of Tomlins lack of preparedness on top of the team and its no wonder we are in the boat we are in.

3. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Oh yes, I remember full well how our run defense looked early. But it was really never tested against an offense that wasn't one dimensional. Our schedule was weak, especially early on, and didn't feature many teams with quarterbacks that could really threaten the defense. Consequently, we were able to "sell out" vs the run on a consistent basis...and then be blitz happy on third and longs after having stopped the run on early downs.

With Bush and Dupree, we are no doubt better vs the run. But until we get a true NT, I don't think we will be able to keep playoff caliber teams from running for a good average against us--teams that aren't very one dimensional like the Titans, Browns (both good running teams without much of a passing threat) against whom we shut down the run early in the year. A good NT allows a 3-4 defense to stop the run without over-committing to it, allowing the back end to hold up better vs capable passing offenses.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We lost on Sunday because our quarterback threw 4 interceptions and our center decided to give the browns a td.

5. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Here is some analysis of how they used heavy personnel to exploit the matchups. Maybe this guy is available to help our DC?

Biggest problem with the defense was the offense spotting CLE double digit lead.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This has been going on for years. This team is so low IQ. What's so hard about knowing who you are lined up against? Why when the RB goes out wide doesn't Spillane run with him?

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't see the benefit of having 1 more less athletic individual on the field when the pass happy league is going all out on passing.

Your hybrid safety/linebacker is the new era. The 3-4 base defense is played less than other nickel, dime packages anymore

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Dadgum coaching?

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Here we go again...

10. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Those are good points but they were going against an OL that had people off the street. I would say it was a level playing field. The difference was coaching. We lost that even though the Browns didn’t have one