1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who stays.. Who goes..... How are they replaced???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Not sure losing Dupree is a done deal, it's going to take a long time for that knee to heal and if we're lucky it'll be after the off season FA window closes. We might pull some hometown magic and make him a better 1 year deal.

2. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope we can keep Dupree...but a lot of that will come down to him (take less to stay or get as much as he can and go elsewhere). Though I think we could franchise tag him again.

Mike Hilton is top priority signing for us in my opinion.

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Ben: I think Ben will say he wants to return, but I think the Front office says that are moving in a different direction, and this will force him to retire
    Steelers take the dead cap hit and move on.

James Connor: I think the move on. Love James, Love his story, but there isn't much drop off between him and Benny Snell really, won't be resigned.

JuJu: I think they move on as well. Steelers draft this position well, two WR's the past 20 years got 2nd contracts from the Steelers AB and Hiines
    Juju won't be the third.

Vance McDonald: He will be cut.... Ebron will stay, not much at the position behind him, Gentry seems to be a no go, and maybe Kevin Rader comes into the fold more.

Alejandro Villanueva: Gone and I think Big AL just might retire, I don't see him playing further even with another team.

Zach Banner: He will get the 1 year or 2 year prove it deal I think he stays.

Matt Feiler: Good as gone. Welcome Kevin Dotson you should of started the playoff game to boot.

Maurkice Pouncey: I think he retires as well..... JC Hassenhaur as a stop gap and good chance we draft a Center for sure.

Jordan Berry: One year deal more than likely, unless a young guy comes in and takes his job away, which is possible give cap space.

Josh Dobbs: I think he will be gone, but they seem to like him it have to be super cheap, and he may be just looking to move on.

Defense:
    Bud Dupree: Maybe a one year prove it deal, but doubtful, Bud might still get some more money despite his knee injury.
    With Highsmith looking good at the year end, they may be moving forward with him.

Tyson Alualu: I think he won't be back, he is 34 now. Carlos Davis or Buggs will need to take over and hopefully not kill each other in the process.

Joe Haden: I love Joe, personally met him wonderful guy, but a team with lacking cap space, probably they move on.
    I think Cam Sutton may be resigned in his place
    Between Layne and James Pierre as back ups.
    Mike Hilton: With a Haden cut, we should be able to keep Hilton and Sutton I agree with this but someone may be willing to pay more for Hilton's ability

Chris Wormley: Probably gone

Sean Davis: Probably gone

Cassius Marsh: Probably gone

Jordan Dangerfield: They like his special teams ability, maybe 1 year deal or gone.

Avery Williamson: Would not be surprised to see this guy stay and maybe Vince Williams gone, could be an age move.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dupree won't take a 1 year deal. He wants to be paid, some team will pay him ... that is a fact.

I really would like to see him back though.

I'm worried about Banner, we really never saw what him as a full year starter even would like like before the injury. All he did was line up as a blocking TE?

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They’ll pay him but not what he will be looking for. So he takes a 1 year prove it deal here and then if all goes well for him, gets his huge contract he wants.

6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

So 8 new starters on offense? LT LG C QB RB WR TE2 and RT with 1/2 game under his belt.

Not that it might not happen... but I'm sure not looking forward to seeing it.

HACK

7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

What do you think the offense would be missing next yr as opposed to what you saw this season

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s speculation on your part not a fact.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
  10. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    To start 37 touchdowns and about 4200 yards.

I don't know how deep a fan or how long you been watching... but complete rebuilds rarely go smoothly.. But if you have no problem going 4-12 that should get the Steelers their top ranked QB IN 2022

HACK

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They won't have the cap space to tag Dupree again.

12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

for 1, I've been a fan since 1973..... secondly, only thing not replaceable is ben...…. replace a 2 starters on the O-Line and maybe get some actual push in the run game...….. replace Connor and get more burst and consistency..... no need to even mention the wr's as we routinely find the gems..... find a TE in the draft and we become a power running offense again... This is not a complete rebuild by any stretch, and some of those replacements may already be on the team... We are no where near being a 4-12 team with those changes

13. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I meant no disrespect on the how long you been a fan. Many on here are just to young to remember the 80s struggles.

I think 8 new starters is a bit too much... but might happen anyway....

LT ... prob no choice

LG... Dotson already got his feet wet

C .... prob no choice

RG... Hopefully DeCastro bounces back

RT ... Im guessing Chuks or Banner

TE... Im good with Ebron or Vance

WR... Would like to see Juju back.. but if not.... they solid

RB.... really a top need to me..even if Conner comes back..he needs to know he has to compete.

QB... If Ben retires.... the need for running game goes up to a "RAVENS" type level...as the catches across the board will be going way down.

HACK

14. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Dumping both Vance and Ebron would help our cap significantly. I wonder if there is a way we could actually make it happen, and still get production at the position?

God, I sometimes forget Sean Davis was actually on the team this year? What happened to that guy? He went from starter to not even second string on this is team?

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We are heading to the rebuild mode might as well get the train rolling it won't be pretty. Even Ed Bouchette is saying it and he is always a glass half full writer, but he even believes it will be time for a rebuild and he's been writing on the Steelers my entire lifetime.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He was second string this season. If I remember correctly, he started in place of Edmunds Week 17. Edmunds and Fitzpatrick just don't come off the field often when they are healthy, so their backups didn't get many snaps.

17. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Does James Washington have the skill set to take over JuJu's role?

18. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not in favor of a rebuild if they can help it. Do you really want to waste 2 or 3 years of TJ...Minkah....Bush...Claypool..... while they rebuild

But again.. might not have a choice

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Defense will still be good next year. Bush will be back.

There might be some young guys who take some steps forward as well.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He can do some of the same things, but roles would change with Smith-Schuster gone. A trio of Johnson, Washington, and Claypool could be very effective.

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Dupree’s situation may be similar to Jadeveon Clowney’s. No one will be in a position to break the bank next year. Bud’s best option may be a one year deal and we are the best team for him to showcase his talents just because of his familiarity with the system

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's possible, though perhaps the Steelers will want to move on to Highsmith next season.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah not saying it won't ever happen, but the Steelers haven't done anything in the last 30+ years to indicate they would go full rebuild

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The question mark for teams is going to be how long to heal and if he can still perform. His leverage to a big hit with that injury.

25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I don't care if receiving production drops drastically, but get guys who can block. The Steelers need to get back to a running game next season.