1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

is Mason better than Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I stated at this time, as in today (i'm not comparing primes because ben is a legend and a HOFer) I'm still not sure if he's worth keeping (Mason). It was simply a question of as of RIGHT NOW who looks like the better QB. It was more for a debate than a declaration on my behalf. Ben has been Putrid save two quarters over the last 4 months. Mason showed he could get the ball down the field with actually pretty good accuracy, I'm convinced if the Steelers played everyone they would have beat the browns week 17. Again, small sample size and it was a team with zero pass rush. I'm not crowning Mason by any means. The lack of respect defenses have gave ben in the last 4 months by crowding the LOS is very telling on where Ben is as a QB TODAY. I don't believe Ben plays another year here and Mason has 1 year tops

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  2. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Or not enough as an adult.
    :grin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Mason throws a better deep ball. I'll give you that. No doubt about it.

As soon as defenders get in Mason's face he craps his pants. That's common with young QB's. Hopefully he corrects that. IMO Mason does have the look of a future starter..he's still got some things to work on before he can win playoff games. Bad INT's will cost you wins. I have more faith in Ben then I do with Mason. That might change soon, but as of today Ben is by far the better option.

If Ben stinks it up in the first half and we are losing by 14 points or more...then I think Mason earned a shot. If your QB is hurt and can't play at a high level you owe it to the team to make a switch in an attempt to win a playoff game. Tomlin has been his own worst enemy when it comes to winning playoff games and has basically shown ZERO ability to come back when behind. Why? Because Tomlin doesn't make adjustments. The Colts win was a shock to everyone because it never happens under Tomlin. They actually let Ben be Ben and we won. Hopefully they let Ben play his game from the start.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    My two cents....

Mason has the better arm and is more Mobile ......

Ben knows NFL defenses and is less panicky under pressure.....

Let Ben call his own plays and it’s a different story!!!!

if Mason had the running game and defense Ben had when he started his career we would be having a different discussion.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  5. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    While I have been critical of Ben this season believing he is playing in the shell of his former self. He does offer more experience than Mason. Now if Mason and Ben were to go head to head in a test of accuracy in throwing the ball, I think Mason would put Ben to shame. I've said before I believe many of the dropped passes fall on both the receivers and Ben. I think Ben's inaccurate throws, forcibly throwing the 5-10 yard passes with not touch contributed to may of the dropped passes. Mason threw a lot of those passes early with no dropped passes and minimal three and outs. Unfortunately, the league leading three and outs have become Ben's MO as of late.

6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Ben's arm is most certainly stronger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Not even reading this clown thread. I assume it’s satire. The answer is no.

8. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    A resounding Hell To The Naw! Not even close.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Watching Ben throw int’s because there’s no Zip on the ball doesn’t support your statement!!!

But let’s say you’re right..... strength means nothing if it isn’t accurate!!!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mason is going to be lucky if he doesn’t end up like Landry and we’re having a serious discussion as to who is better between him and Ben?

Yikes.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Either one against Cleveland, Tennessee, Buffalo.
    Ben against the Colts, Ravens.

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Ben did not get pulled after the first half of the Cincinnati game, he definitely will not be coming out against the Browns.

I have vowed to just sit back and enjoy watching Ben play the last games of his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mason is clearly better than Ben right now.