1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Randy Fichtner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Supposedly the Steelers are asking permission for teams to consider Randy Fichtner for their openings

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I will actually break out some Jim Bean if true!! Have not decided on which flavor though.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s a joke. The Steelers are asking teams?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can they sign him by Sunday Night ? I think we could manage to throw in a 4th or 5th round pick if gone by the end of the day ..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Time to move on from Randy, his contract is up iirc, now is the time. If they want to offer him another position on the coaching staff I’d be fine with that but he should not be the coordinator imo.

Whatever is going on with that offensive line needs to be sorted as well, the run blocking has not given the backs any chance to be successful. I’m not sure if it’s coaching, personnel or a bit of both, but whatever the case may be it needs to be addressed in the off season. If they need to bring a new guy in so be it.

6. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes...Green Font

• Like Like x 1
  7. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Will all come down to post season success...If the Steelers win it all,or make it, if maybe even the AFC Championship game he stays ( I don't think that should matter, But I don't matter )

Get bounced, He'll fall on the sword so they can say " look , we did something "

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Or we get bounced early the play calliing looks bad and no one offers him ajob so we give him a contract out of loyalty.. Or we go on a roll and Tomlin/Ben/Canada are really calling the plays , but RF looks like a Guru and gets offered multiple jobs..Already like 6 HC jobs open so he could very well get 1 if we could make a run and who knows he may be a good one...

9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They should have promoted Munch to OC to keep him. Instead, Tomlin's long time friend got the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Fichtner is just a terrible OC. When the opposing defense is calling out the play being run and they are correct, there is a problem. Sarrett should be let go as well, his time with the o-line has been a disaster. I understand the line is aging and it needs to be addressed in the draft but the coaching it just beyond poor. I have not witnessed any other team struggle to gain 1 yard on the ground as much as the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem is he has created whole game plans and playbooks that include a single play from multiple formations. As many of us have said on here its a chess match and the Steelers are playing checkers. Its the Logan problem all over again. Under BA they ran a fake reverse, HB dive 3 times in one game always handing to Mendenhall on the dive. The only reason to do it 3 times is on the 4th you give it to Logan. Same thing with RF. Everytime they line up Trips bunch on one side its a wr screen, everytime. I swear if they put Claypool on the opposite side, pump fake on the Wr screen and throw it to Claypool on the opposite side it would be a huge gain. There is no building on plays, no developed plan to attack weak spots, no putting guys in the right position to be successful.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is such a odd situation and reminds me of the year we lost to Jax with a first round bye. We get blown out for the second time by Bortles (0-21 1st qtr and we never caught up) (at home) finishing reg season with a 13-3 record and prolific offense. So, what do we do after we score 40+ points on the Jags and the Jags score even more? We release the OC and keep the DC. Outside looking in, you'd think an absolute idiot was in charge and the wrong coordinator was let go. Now its 2021 and we have a 12-4 record and no bye in the first round. If we were to lose, I have no idea who would be let go, if anyone is at all. What will solve this question is just winning Sunday and move on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    This x 1000. They also don't self-scout at all.

Maybe we should believe Tomlin when he tells us "we do what we do against nameless, gray faces". He thinks all you have to do is execute and "beat the man opposite you", which is all well and good until they have better/more guys to beat.

The best offenses in the league use deception to get opponents out of position and their own guys wide open, we just line up and hope our guys win matchups.

Imagine Andy Reid running this O.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I know.

Being facetious is all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Makes you wonder you watch teams like GB or KC and you see guys getting wide open every few minutes. Are they that much better then our guys or is it scheme and deception.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Not gonna dispute, but we have had guys open and been just either throws the easy pass, or it does not get there, or gets dropped. Lowest ranked run O, lowest in trying the run (Greenie said today we ran 17%, this may have just been during the slump). So yes they are better, and it is both scheme, deception, and execution when they do try.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not a Fichtner fan, but I think he was handcuffed by Ben being injured for several weeks, and is always handcuffed by Ben wanting/needing to work out of the shotgun almost exclusively. He’s not a good OC, but he’s not the worst I’ve seen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He lost me when he broke out the wildcat and then tried it again the following week.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not arguing, but I see Andy Reid's name being called a Genius all the time...he been Coaching for....how long...multiple teams...and has 1 SB 2show 4 it...and that after getting Maholmes. Not sure , but even I might be able 2 call plays 4 Maholmes

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If Ben is still here and calls the shots, what difference does it make if the keep or fire Fichter?

if an OC gets fired in the woods, and no one listens to him, does it make a sound?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    My sentiments exactly

23. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    1. I think some of you guys underestimate what Coach Randy. as Ben calls him, contributes.

2. Likewise, I think you overestimate Ben's level of control.

3. There is no indication either Ben or Tomlin is unhappy with Feek.

Just curious, do you guys follow the local sports media?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I tend to agree given terrible play calling last year as well and declining running game since he became OC. Not sure if MT is pleased with that or hands off enough not to be able to change it.

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Would the recruitment of Matt Canada not suggest otherwise? By all accounts Ben had numerous consultations with Canada on the sideline during the second half of the Colts game. Didn’t see it myself but I read that afterwards.

I’m not sure how the dynamics of the offensive game planning and play calling work and who has the final say but the product on the field at times this year has not been good enough and MT has made that very clear in his interviews afterwards. Part of that is play calling, part of it is execution by the players.

I think if they were that happy with RF they’d have extended him last off season rather than letting his contract run down. JMO, could be completely off

• Informative Informative x 1