1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Josh Dobbs and Matthew Wright

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AFan, Dec 29, 2020.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Are both aerospace engineers.
    Too bad the Super Bowl isn’t decided by the ability to solve differential equations. That 7th Lombardi would be a lot closer.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I hear you AFan - looks like a few people stumbled with higher math. Although I've been a licensed Civil Engineer for 45 years, I've never once had to use differential equations or integrals since college math. Once we buried our slide rules in the 70's, all these other math enigmas were rendered practically meaningless. :hmm:

3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ive been a Chem Eng for 40yrs. Most of it spent doing process simulation. And even though i dealt with computer models with tens of thousands of equations, they rarely involved calculus. But I did start out learning to use a slide rule. Got a programmable TI calculator when I was a jr in college, at the time it was as high tech as a college student could get.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    My son is studying to be a Civil engineer at Missouri S&T.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    546E092A-F703-42F5-B62E-05DB86A429BF.jpeg

Dusty, but not buried. :smiley1:

6. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    And just think our coach cant figure out when to call a time out or the right time for a challenge flag.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    As a long time engineer, I'd use that thing to level the table up so my train doesn't derail. :hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Hi BigBenHotness imposter,

Do you think Tomlin needs to have a slide rule to figure out time outs and challenges? Will he be able to balance the popcorn?

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm an Aerospace Engineer. They should pick a different profession. Seriously just do it. 30+ years doesn't get ya very far. Promised my wife when I first met her I'd take her to the Virgin Islands. Unfortunately she's still waiting 24 years later.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    God, I am burning up too many brain cells just reading these qualifications.
    I am a working stiff have done manual labor most of my life, hope to continue too God willing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    They hire these guys so they can tell us what Mike Tomlin is really saying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    I am a chemical engineer. True story. I manage a fully legal, fully licensed cannabis processing lab in Oregon. Molecular fractioning all day long. Did I mention that stress is not part of my life?

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Manitou

Manitou Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Retired now but spent thirty eight years as a mechanical engineer for an electronics company.
    Glad to be retired and watching Steeler playoffs

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Lionel?

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ve been there. They aren’t the Virgin Islands anymore.

:smiley1:

Ok, I just made that BS up, but it felt good.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Take her to Grenada. Beautiful island.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So you're the Head of Recreation Improvement Facilitation Engineering. I like it - a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I work for an aerospace company 23 years and counting. I'm just a lead man/ die setter.
    They always send me the young new aerospace engineers and what not. You'd be surprised, most can't read a tape measure, tell me a fraction to decimal.
    My father is a retired manufacturing engineer and can pretty much do anything known to man. Concrete, build engines, construct sheds, electric, plumbing, cars, drywall.
    A true engineer knows how to use their hands as well as their brains.
    My opening line for all the young recruits I get. " Even janitors are called, custodial engineers."
    Mad respect for the old timers. The youthful engineers, I feel sorry for you. No life skills, whatsoever for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Great thread. I sorta did a 360. I got a bachelors and masters in Mech Eng (Masters all paid by Duracell and for me it was easier than the BS) and my prof wanted to sponsor me or whatever they call it to do the PHD but unless you want to become a prof ...the companies around here (UTC would take Phs in the R & D) the PHDs were like blacklisted.

I ended up going into more of an Industrial/Process/Mfg route and because of turning 50 I ended up going back in to design work with 3D CAD, etc.

Im scared of these young guys tbh regardless of experience...the bean counters dont quantify value in that. lol

The Engineers that report to me are the Gen x/Millennial types and my boss tries to make them be the way of coming in and leaving right on time and having lunch right on time.

Needless to say...esp with Covid..I had to explain to him that we will begin losing Engineers and we did to UTC which I think is now Raytheon.

Some of these kids could run circles around me and others need to be directed 247.

My boss likes to break stones about cell phones...the kid then gets a note from the doctor about IBS symptoms so he is on the can as long as he needs.

I always joke about Josh being treated like royalty by Kim as he designs Rockets but that one that goes two feet. Gulp.

I keep thinkin if the dude can derive Nuclear Fusion equations maybe just maybe he could run the RPO with these WRs like a poor mans run and shoot.

I think Fitzpatrick is Ivy League too.

20. Chinchilla

Dec 21, 2019
    Slide Rule? I didnt google and cheat. lol

My boss said they used to have punch cards for Fortran. That must have sucked. lol

21. Chinchilla

Dec 21, 2019
    I have alot of respect for you. I got a C in Chem. Never clicked.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What sucked was when you are standing in line at the card reader with a 12” stack of cards, and you drop them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. Chinchilla

Dec 21, 2019
    Good stuff. I hated Fortran. I spent 10 hours to find it didnt run because of a stupid syntax error....I missed a period or whatever. lol

24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I punched cards too. And wrote miles of FORTRAN during ‘80 and early ‘90s. I tell the young guys that FORTRAN was a “real man’s” programming language. I’d cringe when I’d see it programmed in lower case.

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I was a freshman in college, taking a first programming course. The card reader at the time literally moved the cards 15’ from start to finish. I never understood why you needed to move them so far to get them past the light source that read them. The damn cards would get jammed in the machine, and they’d pull dozens of mangled cards out of it. You’d have to repunch them again.